Texas is on their 3rd coach since firing Rick Barnes…

Barnes just needs to change his philosophy a bit and recruit some dang guys that can’t make shots.
I agree. I'm very frustrated with the state of the roster & offense but I don't want Barnes forced out. He needs to recognize what's wrong and fix it with scheme and talent.

I’d rather take a chance and suck then rinse and repeat knowing exactly how far your team will go each year. Should we have kept Butch Jones too for bringing us a few 9 win seasons while ultimately blowing games we should have won? Yeah? We’d never have Huepel and wouldn’t have just come off an 11-2 football season

Rofl.....how long did it take to get to Josh Huepel? It took 4 coaches and 12 years, and let's not act like he was exactly on the top of everyone's list. Also by your own standards, Huepel hasn't even actually won anything yet. He won an Orange Bowl, great. He hasn't won the SEC and he hasn't made the playoffs. If he merely just has good seasons and never actually produces championships, you're telling me the guy b****ing about Barnes is going to be ok with that? I call bulls*** and if it is true then you clearly just have a double standard.

And since you clearly have demonstrated what a patient and long-suffering fan you are, I'm also calling bullsh*** that you actually would be fine if we wandered in the wilderness for the next 12 years burning through coaches until we found the right one.

Rofl.....how long did it take to get to Josh Huepel? It took 4 coaches and 12 years, and let's not act like he was exactly on the top of everyone's list. Also by your own standards, Huepel hasn't even actually won anything yet. He won an Orange Bowl, great. He hasn't won the SEC and he hasn't made the playoffs. If he merely just has good seasons and never actually produces championships, you're telling me the guy b****ing about Barnes is going to be ok with that? I call bulls*** and if it is true then you clearly just have a double standard.

And since you clearly have demonstrated what a patient and long-suffering fan you are, I'm also calling bullsh*** that you actually would be fine if we wandered in the wilderness for the next 12 years burning through coaches until we found the right one.
Some of you are absolutely fine with mediocrity and have no aspirations to be great. Barnes is getting paid final 4 money but had only been to 1 in almost 40 years of being a HC. There’s a reason why Texas moved on. He stabilized the program, but now it’s time to find someone else to elevate us. We should have let him go to UCLA. Getting beat in the first, second round with every once in awhile making the sweet 16 should not be where our expectations end

Reactions: Dadof2Vols
Some of you are absolutely fine with mediocrity and have no aspirations to be great. Barnes is getting paid final 4 money but had only been to 1 in almost 40 years of being a HC. There’s a reason why Texas moved on. He stabilized the program, but now it’s time to find someone else to elevate us. We should have let him go to UCLA. Getting beat in the first, second round with every once in awhile making the sweet 16 should not be where our expectations end

The top 15 paid coaches teams have been knocked out. All those teams either accept mediocrity or 15 coaches will be fired to appease drive by fan bases.

Texas is in a weird spot. Earlier in the season they’re conducting a quiet coaching search to replace Beard. On one radio show it was stated that Texas wants a big name/splash hire.

However, now Terry is having success as interim. Do they keep him or still attempt the big hire? If they don’t keep him then the optics will be bad for the university.

Reactions: HalfullVol

And all you prove with every post you make is you're a simple minded person incapable of any kind of actual thought or debate on the matter. Seriously, I can hear your mouth breathing from here. Don't lick too many windows today.

Reactions: BisonVol

please define mediocrity.

consider Barnes record at UTK maybe.

You’ve clearly not seen mediocrity in basketball if you think making the NCAA tournament practically every year with a couple of sweet sixteens is mediocre. It’s not elite, but our situation is pretty enviable for most programs around the country.

Keep complaining all you want, but you have proven you really don’t have any idea what you’re talking about.

You’ve clearly not seen mediocrity in basketball if you think making the NCAA tournament practically every year with a couple of sweet sixteens is mediocre. It’s not elite, but our situation is pretty enviable for most programs around the country.

Keep complaining all you want, but you have proven you really don’t have any idea what you’re talking about.

He literally just said he'd rather suck and go through coaches than just make the S16 assuming that's the celing. That's just new level stupid.

Also by his OWN idiotic logic, then in a few years if Heupel "only" makes NY6 bowls and doesn't get in the playoffs then we should fire him.

Reactions: OrangeInKy
He literally just said he'd rather suck and go through coaches than just make the S16 assuming that's the celing. That's just new level stupid.

Also by his OWN idiotic logic, then in a few years if Heupel "only" makes NY6 bowls and doesn't get in the playoffs then we should fire him.

He’s not too bright. There are plenty of legit criticisms of Barnes, but screaming “fahr him!” after five straight tournament appearances including two sweet sixteens is moronic.

And like you said, anyone who would rather go through 12 years of darkness rather than what Barnes is doing right now is a fool and doesn’t deserve to be taken seriously.

Like I said, there are legit criticisms of Barnes. He needs to get up to date with his offense. He needs to recruit more skilled offensive players. But good grief calling for the man’s head when he is overall doing a nice job is so stupid.

Such a Rant.
Any new established coach we would hire would be getting Final 4 pay.
If we go for the ok coach with a chance who is cheaper then we will expect results immediately and that may not work as well.
There is a time and opportunity for everything. Right now no.

At Present, there is not a need (BuyOut $$$) there is not a vacancy nor is there a coach that presents itself as a savior.

Again you represent what I stated above going for the shiny objects vs staying the course before there is a need.

I guess 4 25 win seasons is not good enough for you, nor making the NCAA tournament every year.

You call it mediocracy. There are over 300 programs that would love to be that standard of mediocre.

Last edited:
I’d rather take a chance and suck then rinse and repeat knowing exactly how far your team will go each year. Should we have kept Butch Jones too for bringing us a few 9 win seasons while ultimately blowing games we should have won? Yeah? We’d never have Huepel and wouldn’t have just come off an 11-2 football season
you have not been a Vol long enough to endure when we need coaching changes and when we don't. Thank god social media was not around in the 60s

Reactions: BisonVol
He’s not too bright. There are plenty of legit criticisms of Barnes, but screaming “fahr him!” after five straight tournament appearances including two sweet sixteens is moronic.

And like you said, anyone who would rather go through 12 years of darkness rather than what Barnes is doing right now is a fool and doesn’t deserve to be taken seriously.

Like I said, there are legit criticisms of Barnes. He needs to get up to date with his offense. He needs to recruit more skilled offensive players. But good grief calling for the man’s head when he is overall doing a nice job is so stupid.
There’s a reason Texas moved on from him. You’re probably one of those idiots who were sticking up for Fulmer when he should have originally been fired too, but your ape brain mentality is sadly the reason so many here are ok with the same results year in and year out. Barnes has made 2 elite 8’s and 1 final 4 in almost 40 years of coaching. I guess we’ll sit here another handful of more years getting knocked out of the tournament early before he retires and we have a chance at someone else

There’s a reason Texas moved on from him. You’re probably one of those idiots who were sticking up for Fulmer when he should have originally been fired too, but your ape brain mentality is sadly the reason so many here are ok with the same results year in and year out. Barnes has made 2 elite 8’s and 1 final 4 in almost 40 years of coaching. I guess we’ll sit here another handful of more years getting knocked out of the tournament early before he retires and we have a chance at someone else

You literally just said you'd rather possibly suck with new coaches than "just" make the tournament, so I think you calling anyone else an idiot is beyond comical.

Ken Pom Ratings

O D
2015 109.5 (71) 102.3 (130)
2016 111.0 (74) 103.7 (150)
2017 110.1 (73) 97.5 (55)
2018 114.6 (36) 92.4 (6)
2019 122.7 (3) 96.5 (42) 31-4
2020 106.6 (96) 95.8 (62)
2021 108.0 (85) 88.1 (5)
2022 111.5 (35) 86.4 (3)
2023 111.4 (64) 87.6 (1)

Stats are sometimes fool's gold.

Regardless of the defense our Offense needs to be 116 or better.

You literally just said you'd rather possibly suck with new coaches than "just" make the tournament, so I think you calling anyone else an idiot is beyond comical.
No, read. I would rather take a chance at sucking with a new coach. It’s a risk no matter who you hire, but a lot of us are willing to move on and take that risk. Barnes is almost 70. It’s time to get fresh blood who will focus on offense

Barnes had no problem beating Texas this year. The tournament is a crap shoot. Will be even more so every year from now on. Get in and what happens happens. We get in every year.

I hate this take with a passion.

Yes it is more volatile than the regular season but after a few times you have a body of work that can be judged.

5 Tourney appearances
5 Losses to lower seeds
4 Losses to seeds of 9 or less
Underperformed seeding 4 of 5 times (this year we technically met our seed line)

😂😂😂 you’re a total joke my man.

Your take on this is pretty uniformed and sad. Criticisms are ok. I guess you will have to endure a few more years until Barnes retires. Fulmer is gone and not an great example to use for a reference. You are evidently part of the generation that wants it right now!!! Barnes does have his flaws.

Old dog - New trick. He will hand over a program to the next guy in line that may know how to get over the hump. Time will tell and this is not the Time to go searching. CRB/AD timeline --- not yours.

To be honest, I think the biggest problem with Barnes is the Staff.

Y'all, we have either the second or third most tournament berths (right behind Mizzou, incidentally) of any program without a Final Four appearance. It's not crazy for our fan base to think it's time to make the next step. I'm genuinely baffled that some of you are fine taking the "we don't deserve (or can't do) better" approach.

Reactions: VolArmy74

VN Store

Back