Texas is on their 3rd coach since firing Rick Barnes…

Barnes had no problem beating Texas this year. The tournament is a crap shoot. Will be even more so every year from now on. Get in and what happens happens. We get in every year.

The goal is winning the tournament.

Barnes just needs to change his philosophy a bit and recruit some dang guys that can’t make shots.

I think Barnes limits himself by recruiting only high quality citizens players and I’m OK with that. If you have to recruit players with sordid past and gangster wannabes. Then I’m OK with what is transpiring. The whole NCAAT takes a lot of luck in matchups with teams & matchup reffing crews and all. Rarely does the very best team win it all. Probably about 50% of time but I do think the Pandemic extra year has made this year hard to assess and will probably be sane next year. I mean the whole UT team can come back sans Ty Key. Imagine how old this team would seem almost like a G league team.

I think Barnes limits himself by recruiting only high quality citizens players and I’m OK with that. If you have to recruit players with sordid past and gangster wannabes. Then I’m OK with what is transpiring. The whole NCAAT takes a lot of luck in matchups with teams & matchup reffing crews and all. Rarely does the very best team win it all. Probably about 50% of time but I do think the Pandemic extra year has made this year hard to assess and will probably be sane next year. I mean the whole UT team can come back sans Ty Key. Imagine how old this team would seem almost like a G league team.

In all fairness, we didn't get to the Final Four with Pearl either, and high quality citizens was certainly not a high priority for us then.

Fans need to realize the regular season is totally different than tournament ball. You could tell that our guys felt the pressure at the 10 min mark during the game. The commentators did a nice job making the they point.
I enjoyed the regular season big wins but there’s more pressure in tournament ball.

Reactions: Pennheel
It’s all about matchups. If we had Texas in our first round game we would have killed them…again. Well, matchups and injuries.

Barnes had no problem beating Texas this year. The tournament is a crap shoot. Will be even more so every year from now on. Get in and what happens happens. We get in every year.

Been telling people this for years

So let me get this straight in your thinking.

Smart a hot coach hired by Texas, a good coach but not a good fit. Texas lets go. In his 2nd Season at Marquette wins the Big East and 2 Seed in the NCAA.
@Texas 3 NCAA tournaments and a NIT Championship. All were exits in RD of 64.

Texas hires another hot coach Chris Beard. His system in place with a mix of his recruits and has an "Oopsie Daisy" 8 games into the season and is fired. Hired by Mississippi because desperate programs do desperate things. Story still be told but his Character is questionable. (Tyndall) ring a bell.

Texas has an interim coach Rodney Terry who has been at Texas for 2 years.
Great Guy but Coaching Record over a 10 to 11 years is right at .500. 2 NCAA appearances (2023 & 2016), He could win it all so what does Texas do next year for a Coach.

I evidently miss your point.

Smart 3 NCAA appearances all 1st Rd losses
Beard 1 NCAA appearance 2nd Round loss
Terry 1 NCAA appearance F8 and possibly a FF or NC.

The road traveled to today's success even though TBD was because a Coach supposedly decided to take out his frustrations on his wife?

Do we need to create Drama to win a NC?

Thanks, but no Thanks, I will stick with CRB. His record at UTK speaks for itself.
Our fans spend to much time chasing after Shiny Objects vs recognizing we have one of better character and quality.

Barnes just needs to change his philosophy a bit and recruit some dang guys that can’t make shots.
Why would you expect change at this point? We have 25 years of Texas/UT basketball with Barnes as the head coach. He is what he is and as long as he's here, it's foolish to expect anything different. We'll be tough defensively, challenged offensively, almost a lock to make the NCAAs and almost as likely to be 1 or 2 and done. Having said that, I remember a lot...a LOT...worse and hoping we'd make the NIT. I'll be called out for saying that I'm okay with that. Maybe the stars will finally align at some point in the years Barnes has left and we can make another elite 8. Until then, I'll grab the moments when they present and enjoy 'em.
Hooked 'em: Why Texas had to fire Rick Barnes | FOX Sports

Reactions: feathersax
If you coach a game that requires people to get a ball into a cylinder with a net, why would you not ALWAYS recruit the people that are the best at accomplishing this goal?
Because Barnes is defense first, last, always. This is who and what he is and he's not gonna morph into the Josh Heupel of college basketball....ever.

how about instead of firing him, he just hires someone to control the offensive schemes? Maybe focus more on offense in practice? It’s hard to say not knowing what exactly goes on in the program, but it’s safe to say that there’s a problem. In game time management and adapting to the changing basketball game are easily two things that I could identify.
I want CRB to succeed. He’s an amazing person and coach, and he’s a tremendous Christian role model for our players, but he’s GOT to do something different before the game passes him by.

Who succeeds CRB here? Is it potentially Kim English? Timeline would seem to work if CRB stays here for 2-4 years. Contract runs through 2026-2027 Season.

If Texas wins it all then just another sign of what could be if we got a new coach. Barnes is serviceable, but a lot of us want a F4 with a chance to win it all. That is not happening with Rick at the helm

And if they don't then it means it's not a sign?

Do you people realize how juvenilve and simplistic you sound? You sound like the type that thinks crystals and esstential oils work.

Reactions: BisonVol
And if they don't then it means it's not a sign?

Do you people realize how juvenilve and simplistic you sound? You sound like the type that thinks crystals and esstential oils work.
I’d rather take a chance and suck then rinse and repeat knowing exactly how far your team will go each year. Should we have kept Butch Jones too for bringing us a few 9 win seasons while ultimately blowing games we should have won? Yeah? We’d never have Huepel and wouldn’t have just come off an 11-2 football season

Reactions: lifeisdeep

VN Store

Back