Texas, 'He Is Lying. People Are Dying'

Yeah, why does it have to be one or the other, I don’t think anyone thinks fossil fuels are going away over night, and I certainly don’t think everyone on the planet can live off renewable energy alone. At least in what’s left of my lifetime. In this particular case, one company across every energy platform, natural gas, wind, nuclear, failed it’s customers spectacularly.

The thing about building a new fossil plant is return on investment. You and I realistically know that Biden and the dems can't make that go away like they are trying to do, but when you are selling the investment; the question very much remains whether the plant will stay in operation for the projected period, or will coal supplies just dry up, or will some new regulation in effect end the ability to keep operating. It can be a decade to even break ground on a nuclear plant, and there are several nuclear plants across the country that were virtually complete and never loaded fuel and others prematurely decommissioned - that's a lot of cost to eat. It's risky business. I first thought TX was probably nearing capacity and not keeping pace with demand, but as someone else correctly pointed out the peak demand in TX is summer and a lot of plants are probably going through scheduled maintenance outages.

I would not expect to die in such a manner. Now, I take note of all the Clint Eastwood types on here, but still, a person in the United States of America who pays his utility bills on time... SHOULD NOT FREEZE TO DEATH IN THEIR OWN DAMN LIVING ROOM!
How many have?

The thing about building a new fossil plant is return on investment. You and I realistically know that Biden and the dems can't make that go away like they are trying to do, but when you are selling the investment; the question very much remains whether the plant will stay in operation for the projected period, or will coal supplies just dry up, or will some new regulation in effect end the ability to keep operating. It can be a decade to even break ground on a nuclear plant, and there are several nuclear plants across the country that were virtually complete and never loaded fuel and others prematurely decommissioned - that's a lot of cost to eat. It's risky business. I first thought TX was probably nearing capacity and not keeping pace with demand, but as someone else correctly pointed out the peak demand in TX is summer and a lot of plants are probably going through scheduled maintenance outages.

As I previously stated, there’s no reason to make this a political football. I’ve been fortunate to go lots of places. When it comes to infrastructure we aren’t close to the top. And efficiency, forget about it. As I tell my son all the time, if someone has a better idea you should listen and if it’s financially feasible adopt it. I think anyone would say, if being honest, the country, not just Texas, could benefit from a little forward thinking on this topic.

Homeowners hit with Electric Bills as high as $17K amid Texas winter storm

Texans say energy companies are on a power trip.

Electric bills in the Lone Star State skyrocketed to as high as $17,000 per month after a historic storm and power outage sparked a high demand for heat, according to reports Friday.

Dallas-area resident Ty Williams was hit with sticker shock when his monthly bill soared from $600 last month to nearly $17,000 so far this month, according to the local station WFAA.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/19/homeowners-hit-with-massive-electric-bills-amid-texas-winter-storm/

Reactions: AM64
As I previously stated, there’s no reason to make this a political football. I’ve been fortunate to go lots of places. When it comes to infrastructure we aren’t close to the top. And efficiency, forget about it. As I tell my son all the time, if someone has a better idea you should listen and if it’s financially feasible adopt it. I think anyone would say, if being honest, the country, not just Texas, could benefit from a little forward thinking on this topic.

We could do better, but again it goes back to short term thinking and short term profitability. What you are suggesting requires reinvesting business income to improve and become better going forward. That's exactly the opposite of what business is doing. Just in time logistics puts products and product cost on someone else's inventory and hopes the needed stuff gets there on time - that actually has created improvement and efficiency in shipping, but a ripple in the force somewhere and it goes to crap. For instance car assembly lines are halted for lack of electronic parts. Perhaps in country sourcing and multiple sources would have worked better.

Another probably stronger example is that business have closed down manufacturing in the US in favor of Chinese made stuff. That's short term profits over long term development ... how do workers without a job buy your stuff regardless of cost. To the current CEO it's "not my problem", why should he make less to build a long term future ... his is basically assured. We make fun of Tennessee football coaching failure and the cost of paying off the failures, but I don't see it any differently from the business world. In fact, perhaps there's a great parallel between say GE and TN football.

The investment sector has a huge stake in why we are where we are. Supposedly there was a time when a company was a sound investment because the stock payed consistently good dividends. Now it's all about buying and selling stock and corporate valuation again based not on long term growth and stability, but on short term reward, and CEOs reap that reward, and that puts forward bias into their control logic ... if in fact there is logic beyond the simple piranha instinct there.

We could do better, but again it goes back to short term thinking and short term profitability. What you are suggesting requires reinvesting business income to improve and become better going forward. That's exactly the opposite of what business is doing. Just in time logistics puts products and product cost on someone else's inventory and hopes the needed stuff gets there on time - that actually has created improvement and efficiency in shipping, but a ripple in the force somewhere and it goes to crap. For instance car assembly lines are halted for lack of electronic parts. Perhaps in country sourcing and multiple sources would have worked better.

Another probably stronger example is that business have closed down manufacturing in the US in favor of Chinese made stuff. That's short term profits over long term development ... how do workers without a job buy your stuff regardless of cost. To the current CEO it's "not my problem", why should he make less to build a long term future ... his is basically assured. We make fun of Tennessee football coaching failure and the cost of paying off the failures, but I don't see it any differently from the business world. In fact, perhaps there's a great parallel between say GE and TN football.

The investment sector has a huge stake in why we are where we are. Supposedly there was a time when a company was a sound investment because the stock payed consistently good dividends. Now it's all about buying and selling stock and corporate valuation again based not on long term growth and stability, but on short term reward, and CEOs reap that reward, and that puts forward bias into their control logic ... if in fact there is logic beyond the simple piranha instinct there.

Actually, I’m not convinced we can do better even though we all know we could do better. To piggyback off of your football analogy, all coaches know your either improving or getting worse, there is no standing still. The same can be said for infrastructure, healthcare, education. The levees in New Orleans, this thing in Texas, it was predicted.

However, “told ya so” is not what anyone wants to hear in a moment like this. We spend lots of money on space exploration and the military but acknowledging climate change and rising seas as it relates to significant weather incidents is seemingly beyond our collective grasp. This thing in Texas is worse in a way. Independent of federal regulation, thumbing their nose at everyone, when they knew it could happen.

I appreciate the kind debate and I think we agree mostly.

Homeowners hit with Electric Bills as high as $17K amid Texas winter storm

Texans say energy companies are on a power trip.

Electric bills in the Lone Star State skyrocketed to as high as $17,000 per month after a historic storm and power outage sparked a high demand for heat, according to reports Friday.

Dallas-area resident Ty Williams was hit with sticker shock when his monthly bill soared from $600 last month to nearly $17,000 so far this month, according to the local station WFAA.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/19/homeowners-hit-with-massive-electric-bills-amid-texas-winter-storm/
Their going to need a bigger stimulus check and soon.

Actually, I’m not convinced we can do better even though we all know we could do better. To piggyback off of your football analogy, all coaches know your either improving or getting worse, there is no standing still. The same can be said for infrastructure, healthcare, education. The levees in New Orleans, this thing in Texas, it was predicted.

However, “told ya so” is not what anyone wants to hear in a moment like this. We spend lots of money on space exploration and the military but acknowledging climate change and rising seas as it relates to significant weather incidents is seemingly beyond our collective grasp. This thing in Texas is worse in a way. Independent of federal regulation, thumbing their nose at everyone, when they knew it could happen.

I appreciate the kind debate and I think we agree mostly.

You had me until “climate change and rising seas”.

Reactions: RavinDave and AM64
The consumers of Texas need to acknowledge some responsibility. They voted for the the deregulation then voted for the risk with their pocketbooks. They could purchase fixed minimums to guarantee power or gamble with the spot market. Companies just do what their customers want

Some of you left wingers would lose your f###ing sh!t in the summer if you found out most of Europe doesn't have A/C. I can see it now "WHY DID YOU ALL NOT PREPARE FOR THESE POSSIBLE HEAT WAVE!"!"!"!"!

Wait..a lot of the north doesn't have A/C either. Oh man..people better start getting those systems in just in case the ozone layer fails!

Flash flood warning at my house. Sh!t..Going to go buy a boat and/or a hovercraft in case Atlanta floods!
I'm liberal and AC is for pu$$!e$.

VN Store

Back