Terry Fair on working for Pruitt.

I thought Fulmer fired (forced resignation) Randy Sanders. Blamed him for the offense falling off, then brought in the Clawfense. Sanders went to KY and took Randal Cobb with him. Won NC at Florida State coaching that idiot Jamis Winston. Sanders is a better coach than Fullmer, IMO.

Firing Sanders was unfortunately after the damage was done, and Phil himself fell into deep water. Hiring Clawson was a Hail Mary, too little, too late. Granted Sanders didn’t screw up the NC game, but offensive production steadily fell all the way up to Fulmer’s first losing season in ‘05. Phil could have pulled in a high-profile OC to groom for the job when he stepped down, but he was afraid of hiring someone that would subvert his authority just like he did Johnny’s.

I am so happy that he mentioned "Player Development" in his interview. That was never accomplished under Pruitt. I would not be surprised if Guarantano had some success in the future with a competent coaching staff. Thank goodness that F'n bammer is GONE!
Guarantano is gone. Rejoice, because he was the worst multi year starting qb in school history, and it’s not even close. You can’t blame Pruitt for that, Guarantano is just not a good qb.

Reactions: tbh
Guarantano is gone. Rejoice, because he was the worst multi year starting qb in school history, and it’s not even close. You can’t blame Pruitt for that, Guarantano is just not a good qb.
First, I respect JG for doing his best and taking some hits I didn’t think he would get up from. Second, I respect JG for not quitting and when made the starter or back up, when his number was called, he went in. JP was an absolute horrible HC who kept putting JG in a scheme he couldn’t execute or be successful in. I blame JP entirely for JG. He made the decision to play JG, off a subjective “practice” standard, totally ignoring the fact JG wasn’t an SEC QB.

First, I respect JG for doing his best and taking some hits I didn’t think he would get up from. Second, I respect JG for not quitting and when made the starter or back up, when his number was called, he went in. JP was an absolute horrible HC who kept putting JG in a scheme he couldn’t execute or be successful in. I blame JP entirely for JG. He made the decision to play JG, off a subjective “practice” standard, totally ignoring the fact JG wasn’t an SEC QB.
So you blame Pruitt for Guarantano’s terrible play even when Butch was the head coach? Guarantano played under 4 different offensive coordinators (schemes) and he sucked in everyone of them. The only part I agree with you on is I do blame Pruitt for putting him on the field.

Firing Sanders was unfortunately after the damage was done, and Phil himself fell into deep water. Hiring Clawson was a Hail Mary, too little, too late. Granted Sanders didn’t screw up the NC game, but offensive production steadily fell all the way up to Fulmer’s first losing season in ‘05. Phil could have pulled in a high-profile OC to groom for the job when he stepped down, but he was afraid of hiring someone that would subvert his authority just like he did Johnny’s.
He did pull a high profile offensive coordinator after Sanders was fired. His name was David Cutcliffe, former ole miss head coach, and the guy Sanders had replaced. Tennessee was one play away from being sec champs in 07 as a result of the hire. Then Cutcliffe got the head coaching job at duke, and Fulmer hired Dave Clawson. Clawson was a terrible hire, and he put the final nails in Fulmers coffin.

So you blame Pruitt for Guarantano’s terrible play even when Butch was the head coach? Guarantano played under 4 different offensive coordinators (schemes) and he sucked in everyone of them. The only part I agree with you on is I do blame Pruitt for putting him on the field.
So Butch isn’t responsible for playing HG? You think 4 different OC’s helped JG develop his talent? You blaming JG for not refusing to play when asked by his many coaches to play? What’s your point?

He did pull a high profile offensive coordinator after Sanders was fired. His name was David Cutcliffe, former ole miss head coach, and the guy Sanders had replaced. Tennessee was one play away from being sec champs in 07 as a result of the hire. Then Cutcliffe got the head coaching job at duke, and Fulmer hired Dave Clawson. Clawson was a terrible hire, and he put the final nails in Fulmers coffin.

Any OC not named David Cutcliffe was going to be a terrible hire for Fulmer because Cut was the only OC he trusted. If Fulmer bled orange he should have stepped aside in 2007 and lobbied for Cut to get the HC job.

Any OC not named David Cutcliffe was going to be a terrible hire for Fulmer because Cut was the only OC he trusted. If Fulmer bled orange he should have stepped aside in 2007 and lobbied for Cut to get the HC job.
What fairy tale do you live in? When has a coach that’s team just played in and almost won an sec championship game stepped down to help the program? Such an ignorant post.

So Butch isn’t responsible for playing HG? You think 4 different OC’s helped JG develop his talent? You blaming JG for not refusing to play when asked by his many coaches to play? What’s your point?
My point is Guarantano is a bad quarterback no matter who is coaching him. He had two years under Jim Chaney, who helped turn Crompton into a pretty good sec quarterback in one year, and is known to be a great qb coach. Guarantano regressed under Chaney. He simply couldn’t process information fast enough to play the position, and he proved it for 4 years game after game.

What fairy tale do you live in? When has a coach that’s team just played in and almost won an sec championship game stepped down to help the program? Such an ignorant post.

Yeah so ignorant since we would be in a 100x better position had Fulmer stepped down in 2007.

Face it Fulmer wasn't much of a HC without Cut.

Reactions: igotworms
My point is Guarantano is a bad quarterback no matter who is coaching him. He had two years under Jim Chaney, who helped turn Crompton into a pretty good sec quarterback in one year, and is known to be a great qb coach. Guarantano regressed under Chaney. He simply couldn’t process information fast enough to play the position, and he proved it for 4 years game after game.
I understand JG isn’t a SEC QB. what I don’t understand is the disrespect towards a young man who did his best when he was asked to play. Who took a absolutely horrible beating, got up and continued to compete. The only reason he was playing is because a coach put him on the football field. I will always support a person/player who answers the call to the best of his or her abilities, win or lose. He isn’t a quitter and he never refused to go in. He played hurt with a broken pinned thumb. Is he a SEC QB, imho no.

Reactions: Orange12
I understand JG isn’t a SEC QB. what I don’t understand is the disrespect towards a young man who did his best when he was asked to play. Who took a absolutely horrible beating, got up and continued to compete. The only reason he was playing is because a coach put him on the football field. I will always support a person/player who answers the call to the best of his or her abilities, win or lose. He isn’t a quitter and he never refused to go in. He played hurt with a broken pinned thumb. Is he a SEC QB, imho no.
He took a beating because he couldn’t make the decision to either throw to a receiver or throw the ball away. This is a message board that discusses UT football. Criticism is part of it, and when a guy has accounted for as many losses as Guarantano has he will get his dose. If you don’t understand that then I don’t know what to tell you. The coaches made the decision to play him in hopes that it would click for him, but it never did. I don’t fault him for going in when asked, but no matter how you slice it he is the worst quarterback to start multiple games in school history.

It makes sense. Pruitt was a micromanaging control freak. As a head coach you simply can't micromanage a large program like that and try and split yourself 18 different ways.

At least with Fooley we scored points. We had 2 good wins under Pruitt. The Auburn win and the Indiana win.
We consider those big wins is a statement in and of itself. Pretend you are an Auburn fan commenting on their flavor of a recently fired coach..
Using your words:
“At least Malzon scored points. We had 3 good wins under Malzon, Beat Bama 3 times.”
Pruitt would be here for life if he did that.

This.

VN Store

Back