Tennessee Vols vs Siena Saints

Question for you guys.

I haven't seen you guys play this year. With the graduation of Lofton & Co. you guys really thrived from the perimeter - I know you did make some hay with your post guys - but your perimeter guys really led the way the last few years.

How are you guys different this year? It doesn't seem like the 3-ball is a big part of your game. It's really not a big part of Siena's game - well, not as big a part of it as most mids.

Losing Lofton and Smith definately hurt our 3 point shooting but they've been replaced with longer, more athletic players. It's still early and i don't think our team has found its identity yet.

#1 Tyler Smith can score anywhere on the floor. We are driving the ball to the bucket more often this year. Probably because we actually have a PG. :)

We are more talented and athletic than last year but, we are younger and do not shoot it as well either.

In the end I think the Vols will be really good. We'll start to find out how good Thurs against your team.:good!:

Question for you guys.

I haven't seen you guys play this year. With the graduation of Lofton & Co. you guys really thrived from the perimeter - I know you did make some hay with your post guys - but your perimeter guys really led the way the last few years.

How are you guys different this year? It doesn't seem like the 3-ball is a big part of your game. It's really not a big part of Siena's game - well, not as big a part of it as most mids.

The 3 ball is defenitely not as big a part of our game this year as it has been the previous couple years. Thats not to say they're not capable of shooting from 3 but everyone on the floor feels more comfortable driving to the hole. Bobby Maze, Josh Tabb, Scotty Hopson, Cameron Tatum, JP Prince, Renaldo Woolridge, and Tyler Smith are all guys that cant be backed completely off of because they are more than capable of knocking down threes, but as i said theyd rather drive. The offense now is more run through the point and created off Maze's drives(thank god we actually have a true PG now) and he usually finds someone slashing to the basket. Lofton and Jajuan werent nearly as talented inside the arc as this years players, chris was just too slow last year(for obvious reasons) and jajuan was quick enough but didnt have the game to pull up for a "J" or finish inside. This years team can both shoot from the outside or drive and either pull up or finish above the rim. I think we will learn alot about this team on Thursday against Sienna. They are a true NCAA TOURNEY caliber team and a potential Top 25 team so we will defenitely have a good idea as to the potential of this team. I cant wait to see, and good luck to you and your team!

this game is on thursday at noon correct? i was wondering because i would love nothing more than to be able to watch ut basketball and the titans game during commercial breaks. this thanksgiving has all the ingredients to be the best tgiving ever for the tennessee sports fan

- some of your press is lsting Siena with 6 seniors. Siena actually has Hasbrouck as the starting 2G and Duell coming off the bench with Harris as a walkon that are Sienas Seniors... the rest of the team returns again next season.

- The Rider game you saw last year was a PERFECT example of McCaffrey searching for the best fit for his team. They really experimented early on through the first half of last season. Rider and Loyola both torched Siena when Siena used the same defensive approach. Later in the season both of those teams lost to the Saints. Those early games were VERY frustrating to watch.

- I think what concerns me the most is does Tennessee run like Memphis of last year? You have the height they had...man i dont want to see that again. Siena had some injuries for that game but still...

- The defense is LIGHTYEARS better this year. They are maturing enough to realize that each game takes significant focus on D.

as soup said... noone is kidding themselves here in NY. This is one tough matchup.

I'll be honest... i would trade my Jets win over Tennessee for a Siena win any day!!! :crazy:

do what?

I think we'd love to have a track meet with a pressing team like Siena and a halfcourt affair doesn't seem to favor them either.

They are more experienced and more composed than we are. And they have a guy who's going to hound Maze (our only PG) all night. I just see them causing a lot of trouble for us trying to move the ball around.

I will be impressed if we win.

They are more experienced and more composed than we are. And they have a guy who's going to hound Maze (our only PG) all night. I just see them causing a lot of trouble for us trying to move the ball around.

I will be impressed if we win.
I won't be surprised if we lose, but we'll have to play fairly poorly to do so.

I think you're probably right, BPV. I think what will do it for us in the end is our length. We should out-rebound them by quite a bit. My worry is the perimeter. We can't let them light it up from outside.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts after the game.

Here are my thoughts before the game:

I'll be pleasantly shocked if we (a team with one PG and 5 newcomers) knocks off this team (a team that throttled the #4 seed in the tourney last year, beat Stanford, and returns every starter) by 18.

and I think well-coached teams have a tendency to make us play poorly.

then again, I haven't seen much that would give me a strong indication of how well we can play. I just foresee Siena playing with a sense of certainty and calm that our previous opponents haven't displayed.

First of all ,Sienna lost to Stanford by 20 early last year.
Vandy was a overrated #4 seed last year. They were
not athletic enough on defense. Please, Sienna run
with us for 40 minutes and you will get run out of the gym.
Trust me. We protect the ball and cut down the 16 turnovers in our first road game and we will be fine.
This will be a very good basketball game.

Trust me. We protect the ball and cut down the 16 turnovers in our first road game and we will be fine.

Actually, docholiday, it's S-I-E-N-A.....only one N.

Siena beat Stanford last year, 79-67. Stanford was a pretty good last year.

Vandy may have been overrated - but it's not like Siena won the game on a buzzer beater.

I have to say, you guys are much more respectful of Siena than the Vandy fans were last year before the tournament.

Actually, docholiday, it's S-I-E-N-A.....only one N.

Siena beat Stanford last year, 79-67. Stanford was a pretty good last year.

Vandy may have been overrated - but it's not like Siena won the game on a buzzer beater.

I have to say, you guys are much more respectful of Siena than the Vandy fans were last year before the tournament.

Respect for each other is a good thing. Siena has accomplished some good things on the court in the last year. It should be a great game to watch if you are a college basketball fan. That being said, it does worry me a bit for the Vols to be playing a team with a nickname of "Saints." I hope devine intervention is not working against us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TennNC doesn't sound to faithful.. i think our depth will win us the game.. woolridge tatum and hopson will hit 3's early and draw defenders outside and open up the lane..

Yeah where did this come from? As soup said... Siena dominated the game against Stanford and dominated the game against Vandy. I expect a great game from both teams. :good!:

It will be interesting to see which team chooses to control the tempo and which wants to run. Sounds to me that the both like to run; which one slows it down seems to be at a disadvantage. It should be fun to watch and tell each team a lot about themselves.

VN Store

Back