Tennessee Vols vs Siena Saints

SaintsFan

Hey people, thanks to MphsBlues for the invite to stop by.

This is a tremendous test for the Saints. Siena will obviously be an underdog and rightfully so. The concern for all of us is that its tough to play a BCS schools that does what you do. More often than not the BCS school does it with bigger/faster/stronger athletes (distinct recruiting advantages).

Matchup from the Siena side...

SG Hasbrouck Sr - is able to compete at any level. He is a bit undersized at 6'3" in the matchup with tennessee but should be able to hold his own. He is the preseason player of the year in the conference and his defense is a tad underrated

PG Moore Jr - is 6' and will also be at a size disadvantage. This is definitely not new to him. He finds a way to compete against all of Siena's opponents. He is very solid with the ball and is one of the best in our conference in assist/turnover ratio. Moore tends to go unrecognized as Hasbrouck, Ubiles and Franklin garner most of the attention.

SF Ubiles Jr - is a 6'7" VERY athletic wing. He is Siena's shutdown defender when necessary. He is also capable of playing at any level. He gave Vanderbilt's Foster fits. Ubiles is the type of player more often found at BCS schools. He is probably the toughest Siena player to defend.

PF Franklin Jr - is a typically undersized 4 (6'5") for a mid major. He is strong, quick and athletic which helps to negate some of that disadvantage. He is often overshadowed by Hasbrouck and Ubiles achievements. He is capable... he scored 30 pts and grabbed 18 rebounds in a rout of last years tournament bound Boise St. He did so against the WAC player of the year.

C 6'8.5" Rossiter So - is a typical midmajor big man. They often come in slight of stature (210) and develop into contributing members their junior/senior seasons. Rossiter is a bit different in that he was recruited by some big east programs but they wanted him to redshirt to gain some size. He is a soph now and is around 227. He is still a bit undersized for the BCS level competition but is a tough kid and wont back down

BENCH

6'3" Clarence Jackson So - quick, athletic, sharpshooter. He athletically able to play against BCS competition... although a little slight in build.

6'7" Josh Duell Sr - slower, big guy who is all heart. He is one of those players who isnt much to look at but just gets the job done. He is a capable three point shooter as well. Hes been out most of the early season due to an ankle injury.

6'6" Owen Wignot Fr - Athletic wing who is BCS capable. He was recruited by Penn State and Temple among others. He was also a high jumper in highschool clearing 7'. Owen is already showing some flashes of what will be. He has also shown a few rookie mistakes like Fr will.

6'2" Kyle Downey Fr - Tough, heady player who is not as athletic but makes up for it with basketball intellect and effort. He is playing beyond his years to this point in the season. He always seems to be in the right place at the right time.

6'7" Corey Magee Jr - Defensive player who is a solid situational role player. Capable rebounder.

6'5" Stephen Priestly So - unersized 4 who is developing

6'9" Erik Harris Sr - Walkon who adds depth to the front court.

Hope this allows you to get to know the Saints a little better! Hope Thursday is a game that will be remembered!

Classy post, SaintsFan. :welcome3: Thanks for the preview. Your team, quite frankly, has me worried. Here's hoping for a competitive and injury-free game. :hi:

my belief is if Tennessee is capable of handling Siena's full court pressure then it could be tough for the Saints to get a W. If Siena can turn Tennessee over they should have a shot at beating them.

What type of D does Tennessee normally play? man to man/zone etc full court pressure?

I think you will see a little of each thrown at you. Mainly 'man' coverage, but you will see zone and full court, as well. Pearl will probably do whatever works best on the perimeter in the belief that Smith, Chism, Williams can hold down the fort down low. I think Hansbrouck will be a handful. You return all five starters and there's no substitute for experience in D1. We have some new guys with talent, though.
I think you may be right about the turnover situation. We have had some issues with ball control, but nothing major. Maze does a pretty good job with that. Depth at point is a bit worrisome for us, but Tabb and Prince have helped fill the role pretty well.
Really looking forward to the weekend. What a field!

We are a full court pressure D as well, we generally score in spurts off of turnovers and sprint out downcourt quick after opponents made baskets...a staple of the Bruce Pearl Defense is guarding the inbounds pass and causing five second penalties and turnovers before the opposing team can even get the ball...should be a fast paced game if Siena is a full court type team as well....

On a side note, my GF is from Albany and I am from TN, her parents are in town visiting for the week for Thanksgiving so of course I am going to be surrounded by Siena fans the only time TN ever plays them! Just my luck!

Go Vols, don't let me down!!!:rock::dance2:

Isn't Sienna a color??

Burnt Sienna?
cp0055d15.jpg

Assuming--I think rightfully--that Siena isn't much different this year than last, philosophically, a few things that stand out are:

WORRISOME: They were top 5 last year in not turning the ball over on Offense, and the Vols feast on teams that are suspect in this department. O's that protect the ball vs D's that rely on steals often end up on the positive side in matchups like this. Texas, for instance, was #1 last year in not turning the ball over, and we lost to them by around 20.

POSITIVE: Siena has a pretty atrocious D. While they do tend to steal the ball at a highly effective rate, they allow such a huge amountn of effective 2pt fgs that i'd be shocked if tyler and wayne didnt get called on to lean inside more. Even when we do miss, there's a pretty good chance we'll get the o-board judging by the numbers.

While we have liabilities of our own on the defensive glass, it's nothing compared to their problems.

It should be close just due to how similar both teams are in the way they scheme, but it would be a big letdown if we didnt win this game given that our new additions actually HELP our chances rather than hurt them.

thanks for the preview, SaintsFan.

I didn't know Ryan Rossiter and Stephen Rossiter (PF at Davidson) were brothers. In fact, they look like twins, but it appears they're a year apart.

Siena sounds like a fundamentally sound team with enough athletes to take it to you. Not unlike Davidson or Butler.

Tennessee might be favored, but I think the odds are Siena wins this one.

I am worried, but I certainly don't think the odds are in Siena's favor, especially if they want to run with us, which is what it sounds like.

On a side note, my GF is from Albany and I am from TN, her parents are in town visiting for the week for Thanksgiving so of course I am going to be surrounded by Siena fans the only time TN ever plays them! Just my luck!

Go Vols, don't let me down!!!:rock::dance2:

That's pretty funny.

thanks for the preview, SaintsFan.

I didn't know Ryan Rossiter and Stephen Rossiter (PF at Davidson) were brothers. In fact, they look like twins, but it appears they're a year apart.

Siena sounds like a fundamentally sound team with enough athletes to take it to you. Not unlike Davidson or Butler.

Tennessee might be favored, but I think the odds are Siena wins this one.
do what?

I think we'd love to have a track meet with a pressing team like Siena and a halfcourt affair doesn't seem to favor them either.

Nice preview SaintsFan, and welcome to the site.
Should be a good game. I enjoy watching us mature as we're still young.

MphsBlues stopped by the Siena board yesterday, so I figured I drop by and get in on the thread for the game this week. Just to add on to what some of the other Siena supporters have posted so far:

Siena has the same cast of characters back from last year.

Ubiles is Siena's best talent, a junior. Conference rookie of the year and First-team All-MAAC last year as a sophomore. He is without a doubt the best on the ball defender in Siena's conference. Also, he's Siena's most athletic and is a gifted offensive player (led team in scoring last year at 17ppg) - he can hit the 3, but he does good work in the mid-range game. Not a great rebounder out of his SF position. Siena is fortunate to have him - he had offers from Big 12, Big East, A-10 schools but decided to stay close to home. Also, he did two years of prep school - so he's a mature junior. He's pretty much built like Hopson - I think the matchup between those two should be very entertaining on both ends.

Hasbrouck, a senior, has a great mid-range game. Conference rookie of the year the year before Ubiles. First-team All-MAAC last year. Averaged 16ppg last year. Preseason MAAC Player of the Year this year. In my opinion, he is not a very good man-to-man defender - but in a matchup zone or trapping zone he is outstanding anticipating passes. Heady, strong combo guard that can score. A streaky rebounder. Also spent a year in prep - so he's another mature guy.

Franklin is Siena's power forward - undersized at 6'5, but is extremely quick and has an oustanding handle. Will drag his man to the perimeter and take people off the dribble. Not a back to the basket players. First-team All-MAAC this preseason; 2nd Team as a sophomore last year. Averaged 15 and 8 last year. An above average rebounder - but at 6'5, 225 he relies on quickness and position on defense. Has a nose for the ball and drawing and-1s.

Moore is Siena's irreplaceable point guard. The most valuable player on the team. Erratic from deep but can get hot. He is jitterbug quick and doesn't turn the ball over. His quickness allows him to be an outstanding defender - you will see him play Maze 94 feet all night and will try and deny him the ball the whole length of the court to try and get someone else to bring it up the court. He'll take 5 or 6 shots per game - but he is not a scoring threat.

Rossiter starts at the 5, he's a sophomore. Smart player, good pick and roll guy - hustles down court to beat his guy to spots and generally will get a few easy buckets just by getting down the court ahead of his man. Long arms, sharp elbows. Not athletic - looks like McLovin from Superbad. At the MAAC level he's going to have a fine career - a big man that can move around, catch the ball and grab some boards.

Jackson is the designated sniper off the bench, a sophomore. Atheltic, long, plays good defense. We're waiting for him to go off for half a dozen 3s one of these days.

Duell is a 5th year senior. He's a slob - about 6'7, 275. Takes charges, good savvy. Can hit the 3. Played a big role last year drawing out the Lopez kid on Stanford by hitting 3s in Siena's win. Transferred to Siena from Vermont a couple of years ago. His Vermont team beat Syracuse in the NCAAs and then he came to Siena and they beat Vandy - he must be doing something right. Coming off an injury where he's packed on a bunch of weight. I don't expect him to play more than 6 or 7 minutes unless he hits a couple of 3s. Will be severly overmatched in the post on defense.

Siena's freshman - Downey and Wignot have really played a nice role already. Downey is a gym rat - a combo guard that can shoot it from deep, has a nice midrange game and is seemingly always in the right place on defense. He is not quick - and he's not overly athletic. He's averaging about 11ppg so far taking good shots and making good decisions. Wignot is a swing - very athletic. He provides good energy and can shoot the 3 - but he's not quite as advanced as Downey as far as court savvy goes.

Cory Magee is a backup front court player - maybe 6'9, 235. A good rebounder and plays some defense - but picks up too many dumb fouls and is no threat on offense.
He's been out with a concussion for three weeks - doubt we see him. A couple of other post guys on the bench that won't see much, if any time (Harris and Priestley).

We've seen this Siena team grow up over the last three years - they beat Stanford last year, they beat Vandy in the tournament, they've won big road games, they've played a bunch of games on national TV. Ever since the beat down they caught at Memphis last year - most of these guys were not quite halfway through their sophomore years at that point - they seemed to have seen the light at how hard an elite team plays defense. Since that time, Siena's defense has been very good.

Rebounding is always a concern - but Siena offsets that by not turning the ball over and forcing steals. So far this year, and over the last month of last year, Siena has done a better job of rebounding.

None of us are delusional - Siena will need to play a great game and catch you guys on an off night. But we're always confident with Siena because they're an older group, they've played together for a long time, they have great chemistry, they play good defense and everyone knows their role. Hopefully Siena will represent themselves well and we'll have a bunch of new, orange clad Siena fans after Thursday afternoon - win or lose.

Here are some vids from last year - you can search YouTube for "Siena Villanova" from last year's 2nd round NCAA - it's just that aren't too many highlights for Siena in it :)

Yahoo video clip
Season Highlights: (Siena) on Yahoo! Video

Siena upsets Vanderbilt
YouTube - Siena upsets Vanderbilt - NCAA March Madness 2008 highlights

Edwin Ubiles
YouTube - Edwin Ubiles Monster Dunk!

do what?

I think we'd love to have a track meet with a pressing team like Siena and a halfcourt affair doesn't seem to favor them either.

Siena will run if Pearl wants to run. Vandy wanted to run last year in the tourney. And if you want to go halfcourt, Siena beat Stanford in a halfcourt affair last year, as well.

Siena can play. And they have a great coaching staff - after every game you always hear the kids say, "We knew exactly what they were going to do."

Welcome to the board, SaintsFan. I bought tickets to Friday's morning session, so no offense, but I'm planning on watching my Vols in the winner's bracket...
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Siena will run if Pearl wants to run. Vandy wanted to run last year in the tourney. And if you want to go halfcourt, Siena beat Stanford in a halfcourt affair last year, as well.

Siena can play. And they have a great coaching staff - after every game you always hear the kids say, "We knew exactly what they were going to do."
Running with us won't be like running with Vandy. Halfcourt is where this team is suited,but running is where Bruce likes to be.

Welcome to the board, Soup. We're pretty familiar with Vandy. They can't run. But you guys bring experience, can play the whole court, and control the ball well which doesn't bode well for our press D. Looking forward to the game on Thursday. Good luck to you after Turkey Day.

the only game i've seen Siena in was the first game against Rider last year. It wasn't yalls best game but showed some improvement in the 2nd half. Thompson was just a beast that game though. I think it was after that game yall went on a nice win streak. It should be a really good game though.

the only game i've seen Siena in was the first game against Rider last year. It wasn't yalls best game but showed some improvement in the 2nd half. Thompson was just a beast that game though. I think it was after that game yall went on a nice win streak. It should be a really good game though.

Boy, kind of forgot about that one. Yes - Rider laid into Siena pretty good that game. Siena won down at Rider a week later and then Siena embarassed them on national TV in the conference final - so Siena returned the favor.

Imagine having an NBA Lottery Pick - who is looking like an All-Rookie NBA performer - at a low-major like Rider and never get to the NCAA Tournament? Rider is pretty pathetic - but they did take Siena to the shed that day on ESPN2.

I'my looking forward to this game as well. It will definitely be UT's biggest test thus far. I was cheering you guys on during the Vandy game last year (at a bar next to the Vandy campus no less). Sienna looked like a quality team then, and I expect no less on Thursday.

VN Store

Back