Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Then understand the word "if" and what rankings are ("supposed to be"). Not worth my time. Have a great day.
The rankings are fine. A borderline top 100 recruit can sit on the bench his freshman year and still can “be what he’s supposed to be”.

Or are we ready to say Mashack isn’t what he was supposed to be as well?

Last edited:
Reactions: walkenvol
How much action was ZZ going to get his first year?!?! The truth is nobody knows what’s is going to happen with BJ til it all plays out. He might play 20 minutes a game and he might not, but none of experts have a clue til it all plays out.

I mean I get the desire to add a true PG still.

Last year you had KC, ZZ, Santi, Bailey, and Powell. KC is the only one that's a NBA talent at PG (at this point), but Santi, Bailey, and Powell all had ran it in the SEC. Obviously ZZ was the big surprise and wildcard.

This year you have ZZ, Santi, and? BJE could be the wildcard/surprise like ZZ was last year, but Key and DJ Jefferson aren't going to be able to run the PG for us so you definitely want to add at least one more guy and ideally it'd be a transfer with college experience.

Also pure speculation on my part, but there is a chance Powell may withdraw his name. I don't know what the deadline is, but he's already burned his free transfer so I'm not too sure he'll have a ton of interest...

How much action was ZZ going to get his first year?!?! The truth is nobody knows what’s is going to happen with BJ til it all plays out. He might play 20 minutes a game and he might not, but none of experts have a clue til it all plays out.
ZZ had a special year. Under ranked and ready to make an impact as a freshman. Unfair to put those expectations on BJ and be disappointed if he comes in here and only plays sparingly next year.

I’d honestly just say eff it and try to get him. If he doesn’t get cleared for this year then he can help us next year

I was thinking about that but then that next year after you would have Sherfield, ZZ, and BJE at PG or that can play PG. I don't think that would be attractive for guys like Holloway or Cadeau because they are going to want minutes and they prob wouldn't get very many with a Senior Sherfield and by that point a Junior ZZ

Reactions: cncchris33
I’d honestly just say eff it and try to get him. If he doesn’t get cleared for this year then he can help us next year
He potentially affects our odds at landing Holloway or Cadeau if he doesn't receive a waiver. You'd have to really believe he's a stud, I think, to potentially risk losing either guy. It would be nice if he can find a way to graduate in 3 years and just enroll as a grad transfer.

ZZ had a special year. Under ranked and ready to make an impact as a freshman. Unfair to put those expectations on BJ and be disappointed if he comes in here and only plays sparingly next year.
I’m not sure it’s “unfair”. Hopefully he’s not holding his self image hostage to message board fodder. Most of what gets said here is going to be overly optimistic or overly pessimistic. That’s the nature of being fans. BJ is a solid PG with good skills. It’s easier to play the point now than it was in the Bone era. The changes in sets and system mean it’s more likely to play sooner. Frankly the wings run the motion set frequently in this offense. Two freshmen played PG last year. Maybe BJ will play a lot of minutes. Maybe he won’t. Finding true point guards is pretty difficult. Someone is going to have to walk the ball up no matter who we do or don’t sign.

I mean Hunter has 3 years left as well...but I think they expect he's only going to be in college one more season.

I do think Sherfield is only a take with the waiver. If you notice the names we've really pursued so far are all likely 1 year PGs (Yuri & Hunter).

I’m not sure it’s “unfair”. Hopefully he’s not holding his self image hostage to message board fodder. Most of what gets said here is going to be overly optimistic or overly pessimistic. That’s the nature of being fans. BJ is a solid PG with good skills. It’s easier to play the point now than it was in the Bone era. The changes in sets and system mean it’s more likely to play sooner. Frankly the wings run the motion set frequently in this offense. Two freshmen played PG last year. Maybe BJ will play a lot of minutes. Maybe he won’t. Finding true point guards is pretty difficult. Someone is going to have to walk the ball up no matter who we do or don’t sign.

Do you think we turn our focus elsewhere in the portal once Hunter makes a decision or do you think we will save that last spot?

Do you think we turn our focus elsewhere in the portal once Hunter makes a decision or do you think we will save that last spot?
I don’t have any insight there. I’d lean toward predicting they sign someone, given ZZ’s difficulty handling full court pressure, but that’s just a guess.

I don’t have any insight there. I’d lean toward predicting they sign someone, given ZZ’s difficulty handling full court pressure, but that’s just a guess.

I also think Barnes really saw the value in having 2 or 3 ball handlers on the court at all times. I think ZZ will improve in that area, but having another option or 2 that can take advantage of full court pressure would be ideal.

I also think Barnes really saw the value in having 2 or 3 ball handlers on the court at all times. I think ZZ will improve in that area, but having another option or 2 that can take advantage of full court pressure would be ideal.

I still think a guy like Malachi Smith or Teddy Allen could bring it up the court. Both bucket getters

VN Store

Back