Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

A lot can happen between now and then, but in 2020 our roster could have somewhere between 8-10 4 star players, some with a good amount of experience.

It will have taken 5 years to get there, but putting the program in that position with some tournament success along the way would be a hell of coaching job by Barnes.

You can spout the $5M number as much as you want, and it's fair to criticize his coaching. But it appears that Rick did a good job building a sustainably successful SEC program.

Or attrition is a common place in CBB, and Tennessee has had a transfer every single year, so possibly playing the percentages and looking ahead? Or like I said potentially safe guarding against early NBA departures, this time last year who was predicting Bone would be gone?

Pretty crazy to have 3 likely NBA Draft Picks and yet be considered such a mediocre recruiter, hmm.
Which is why he should have been doing more to shore up the guard position instead of waiting until 2020.
And those guys are gone. I was very excited (and have post history to prove it) about Williams and Bone. Between that time Barnes recruiting has been subpar and that’s a fact. He’s missed on most of the high level recruits they were going after. That is also a fact. There is a pretty good list of current players and past that were reaches. I NEVER saw Grant or Bone as a reach.

Reactions: Big time vol
Which is why he should have been doing more to shore up the guard position instead of waiting until 2020.
And those guys are gone. I was very excited (and have post history to prove it) about Williams and Bone. Between that time Barnes recruiting has been subpar and that’s a fact. He’s missed on most of the high level recruits they were going after. That is also a fact. There is a pretty good list of current players and past that were reaches. I NEVER saw Grant or Bone as a reach.

Uhh...Turner, Bowden, Bailey, James, Jalen, Pons, Gaines, are all guards...and only Turner and Bowden are 100% gone after this season. 2020 he could return 5 guards, all with at least a year in his system too.

Uhh...Turner, Bowden, Bailey, James, Jalen, Pons, Gaines, are all guards...and only Turner and Bowden are 100% gone after this season. 2020 he could return 5 guards, all with at least a year in his system too.
Turner wasn’t recruited by Barnes.
Pons looks horrible, can’t handle the ball, and has been moved to the post. Jalen has been listed as a SF and has also not shown great ball handling.
Gaines also listed as SF prior to arriving at UT. Not a one or two, which you’ll see has been the crux of my issue. Bailey isn’t eligible, thus waiting to 2020 as I just said.

You also are on record as saying Barnes wouldn’t win here with his strategy, that was obviously proven false, yet you omit that part of your post history?

Yes, Bowden and Turner were both massive reaches, I wish they weren’t on the roster. Same for Josiah James and Yves Pons, such bums. Not sure why he’d take 4 stars Olivier Robinson, Uros Plavsic or Victor Bailey, unbelievable.

You appear to want to make definitive claims about the current roster when there is nowhere near enough evidence to say either way...if this team is a tourney team you look like a moron, if they win 10 games then maybe you’ve got a point...but just like you wanted to declare Barnes wouldn’t succeed and he proved you wrong, you may wanna wait before trying to make such claims again.

Pons looks horrible, can’t handle the ball, and has been moved to the post. Jalen has been listed as a SF and has also not shown great ball handling.
Gaines also listed as SF prior to arriving at UT. Not a one or two, which you’ll see has been the crux of my issue. Bailey isn’t eligible, thus waiting to 2020 as I just said.

Turner was recruited and signed by Barnes, yes he had a prior relationship with Tyndall but Barnes recruited and signed him.

We had Bone/Bowden/Turner last year, this year we have James/Bowden/Turner...I fail to see the distaster?

Reactions: walkenvol

..."and those guys are gone" that implies you were talking about the Guards past this season. Which I again listed all 7 that are now on roster and of that 7 only 2 actually graduate. So yes Bailey would count in that situation. Also there is no relevance to where someone was listed coming out of HS, zero. DOES NOT MATTER. Why don't you just wait and see where he actually plays guys and what the team is going to look like before going on doom and gloom coming off one of our best seasons in school history AND now getting one of the strongest recruiting classes in the last decade.

I mean there are now 3 new 4 stars and a 5 star on the roster that weren't here a month ago...I think we might be alright this season.

247 just updated their 2020 rankings. Corey Walker lost his 247 ranking 5 star and dropped down to 47 overall.
Didn't Rivals say Walker looked great at the camps/AAU circuit and jacked him up to 21st overall and a 5 star about a month ago ? Almost seems like when one recruiting service drops a player, the other one raises him up in the rankings, probably just out of spite

You also are on record as saying Barnes wouldn’t win here with his strategy, that was obviously proven false, yet you omit that part of your post history?

Yes, Bowden and Turner were both massive reaches, I wish they weren’t on the roster. Same for Josiah James and Yves Pons, such bums. Not sure why he’d take 4 stars Olivier Robinson, Uros Plavsic or Victor Bailey, unbelievable.

You appear to want to make definitive claims about the current roster when there is nowhere near enough evidence to say either way...if this team is a tourney team you look like a moron, if they win 10 games then maybe you’ve got a point...but just like you wanted to declare Barnes wouldn’t succeed and he proved you wrong, you may wanna wait before trying to make such claims again.
I also said Trump would never be president.
Although, I don’t remember the specifics of what was said, bur you’ve obviously got a file on people you don’t like.

BTW, I don’t need your blessing to make a comment.

A lot can happen between now and then, but in 2020 our roster could have somewhere between 8-10 4 star players, some with a good amount of experience.

It will have taken 5 years to get there, but putting the program in that position with some tournament success along the way would be a hell of coaching job by Barnes.

You can spout the $5M number as much as you want, and it's fair to criticize his coaching. But it appears that Rick did a good job building a sustainably successful SEC program.

I think it might be a little premature to call us a "sustainably successful SEC program". He certainly did a great job identifying players with talent and in developing them. Unfortunately, that special group is now gone. Remains to be seen if the "successors" to Bone, Alexander, Admiral and Grant are now able to step up and be successful. I think the next couple of years both on the court and in recruiting will tell us if our recent success was a perfect storm of good fortune vs truly having a formula that will work consistently.

Reactions: Big time vol
I also said Trump would never be president.
Although, I don’t remember the specifics of what was said, bur you’ve obviously got a file on people you don’t like.

BTW, I don’t need your blessing to make a comment.

When people make idiotic comments/have moronic stances it stands out and I remember it...anyone who was trying to make a definitive claim about Barnes in his first 2 years was a fool, nobody knew for sure what was going to happen, just as nobody knows for sure what’s going to happen this year/next year.

Reactions: walkenvol
When people make idiotic comments/have moronic stances it stands out and I remember it...anyone who was trying to make a definitive claim about Barnes in his first 2 years was a fool, nobody knew for sure what was going to happen, just as nobody knows for sure what’s going to happen this year/next year.
So, i did a search of my posts on the subject and while i was critical of Barnes recruiting it is far from what you are spewing. I was certainly wrong on the success i predicted he'd have, which I'm man enough to admit.
It never stopped me from going to games and cheering my ass off for this team.

I'm admittedly satisfied with the on court results that we've enjoyed over the past few seasons. But I've also been critical and still believe Barnes has done an average job recruiting. I'm of the belief the way he constructed those teams isn't something he can continue doing to build off the success they've had. Most of the teams in the SEC are landing 5 star recruits and top 100 players now. That should be the expectation here as well regardless.

So, i did a search of my posts on the subject and while i was critical of Barnes recruiting it is far from what you are spewing. I was certainly wrong on the success i predicted he'd have, which I'm man enough to admit.
Great to hear, so instead of being doom and gloom and acting like this program is destined for failure in the coming 2 years why not wait and see what actually happens on the court?

I'm admittedly satisfied with the on court results that we've enjoyed over the past few seasons. But I've also been critical and still believe Barnes has done an average job recruiting. I'm of the belief the way he constructed those teams isn't something he can continue doing to build off the success they've had. Most of the teams in the SEC are landing 5 star recruits and top 100 players now. That should be the expectation here as well regardless.

They were doing the same the last few years, look at Avery Johnson’s recruiting at Alabama, he’s now unemployed, so what did those star rankings do for him?

Coaches are judged by their success, not their recruiting rankings, if they can win without landing top classes year in and year out what does it matter?

Fair point. I was fairly critical of Martin's on the court gameplanning, still attended and cheered the team on.

I do worry that this year is a "dip" Barnes may not have expected. I'm not sure he anticipate the success we got last year, and he might have expected Grant and/or Bone to return. I doubt he expected to have as much turnover as he did from other recruits as well.

Darrington - 8.4 mpg and played in 25 games as a true freshman transferred
Parker - 8.1 mpg and played in 25 games as a true freshman transferred
Phillips - averaged 16.2 mpg & 20.8 mpg in his 2 seasons here, playing in 30+ games leaving as a sophomore was likely unexpected

Good guard depth and all 3 would still be on roster right now. Is what it is, I think we'll win 20+ (mainly because Turner, Bowden, Fulkerson, Pons were all contributing good minutes last season and return), but would be shocked if we're as competitive as we have been the last two seasons.

Fair point. I was fairly critical of Martin's on the court gameplanning, still attended and cheered the team on.

I do worry that this year is a "dip" Barnes may not have expected. I'm not sure he anticipate the success we got last year, and he might have expected Grant and/or Bone to return. I doubt he expected to have as much turnover as he did from other recruits as well.

Darrington - 8.4 mpg and played in 25 games as a true freshman transferred
Parker - 8.1 mpg and played in 25 games as a true freshman transferred
Phillips - averaged 16.2 mpg & 20.8 mpg in his 2 seasons here, playing in 30+ games leaving as a sophomore was likely unexpected

Good guard depth and all 3 would still be on roster right now. Is what it is, I think we'll win 20+ (mainly because Turner, Bowden, Fulkerson, Pons were all contributing good minutes last season and return), but would be shocked if we're as competitive as we have been the last two seasons.

Darrington and Phillips would’ve graduated this past year so I’m not sure how they would’ve helped this upcoming years team?

They were doing the same the last few years, look at Avery Johnson’s recruiting at Alabama, he’s now unemployed, so what did those star rankings do for him?

Coaches are judged by their success, not their recruiting rankings, if they can win without landing top classes year in and year out what does it matter?

I don't disagree. It doesn't matter as long as they are winning. But I think you would agree over the last 2-3 years basketball in the SEC has gotten a huge face lift in regards to coaches and players. I'm extremely skeptical that he can continue building the roster in the way he has over the last four years. But I'm going to be completely behind Barnes until he fails to consistently make the tournament. That should be the expectation year in and year out.

VN Store

Back