Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

I think a legitimate case could be made that Smith > Philips, I think expectation could be similar stats wise and the fact you likely get 2 years to 1 for Phillips is also a factor. Not saying I prefer Smith > Phillips just thought it was an interesting point that could be made.

I mean if the plan is Phillips would be essentially a perimeter guard type player even with his size then I could see this as well. But if you can run Phillips as a 4 he might be a better fit for this team next season.

I'm pretty intrigued by Tobe Awaka now though...especially if you can land Smith and Hunter. You'll have 4 guards in this class already adding those two with Key & BJE and Akawa isn't just a skinny 6'8" guy, he's got a Lebron James body it appears.

Smith definitely has the ability to get you a bucket late in pressure situations. Also, isn't short on confidence. Would be a quality pickup. I'd imagine he'd be looking for starter minutes though, and not sure where he'd slide in as he isn't necessarily a pure PG.

Reactions: berryvol
Smith is so selfish for not waiting till next year to transfer when Vescovi leaves.

But in all seriousness, ZZ, Smith, Potentially Edwards, ORN, Aidoo would be nice for the following years team

I would 100% prefer Smith to Phillips, even though Smith isn't a big. Malachi is a straight up baller.

Now, I don't even think UT is going to be linked to him, but man, Malachi is just so fun to watch.
I can tell you with near certainty that about a month ago there was mutual interest (think Yuri), he never entered the portal until now though so not sure if that has changed.

Also looking back at the post it is "potential good news" so I'm still being cautious. Don't want to get ahead of myself like I did with Collins

Honestly, I wonder if we could start Smith at the 3 and move JJJ to the 4 most of the time next year

Hunter or another transfer PG
Vescovi
Smith
JJJ
ORN or Aidoo

I kind of like it, imo
I still haven’t figured out why they didn’t have JJJ at the 4 most of the time last year.

Looking at Malachi Smith’s numbers he doesn’t seem to put up the same type of production against better competition that UTC has faced, so not sure he is any better than Key honestly and Key is pretty good if healthy

Hopefully the message Barnes got was that Auburn didn’t match the offer and that Phillips was coming here lol
I could be wrong but from what I’ve gathered I don’t think it’s in relation specifically to 1 single player, but a new/further willingness to involve Spyre & NIL with recruits which has led to some optimism about how we could fill out this roster.

VN Store

Back