Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Well, Emoni Bates just committed to memphis. Makes that December 18th game tougher but also much more exciting

Memphis getting serious about repeating as NIT champs. Penny has signed over a dozen 4* or 5* guys and he's coached in as many NCAA tournaments as me...

Shady AF. Although I think we al knew stuff like this would happen. People are daring the NCAA to punish them knowing they have hardly any power now.

Also….point guard!?!? Lol. That will be fun to watch. Penny is definitely going to screw up this team.
Is it anything different than what Tennessee is doing with Walter Nolen, though? If the NCAA really believed this was something they could effectively police, they really are dumber than I thought they were.

Is it anything different than what Tennessee is doing with Walter Nolen, though? If the NCAA really believed this was something they could effectively police, they really are dumber than I thought they were.
I feel like there's been a higher than usual amount of delusional chatter here in the bball forum recently...

Reactions: cncchris33
I feel like there's been a higher than usual amount of delusional chatter here in the bball forum recently...

I definitely said “I think we all knew stuff like this would happen” in my post. It’s not surprising at all that people will straddle the line now that the NCAA has been gutted and has no real power.

There have been FBI cases on college basketball and shady dealings with recruits and pay for play. Then the NCAA allows players to profit on their likeness and now some of you think shady things are going on?

I really don't understand why there is any confusion about what the state of college basketball recruiting is and has been...

I definitely said “I think we all knew stuff like this would happen” in my post. It’s not surprising at all that people will straddle the line now that the NCAA has been gutted and has no real power.
I know it's somewhat un-Vol-like to point this out, but that point is not what I'm calling delusional. What's delusional is to think that Memphis won't be a threat, or UK won't steal one of our recruits away, or a recruit is going to pick UT over Alabama because Alabama fan support is weak. No, that's nowhere near the level of football delusion, but it is delusion nonetheless.

And I'm not singling you out. I only feel compelled to voice this because multiple posters have expressed these sentiments.

I think the difference is Nolen doesn’t have a pro offer to entice him…UT isn’t saying hey man whatever they’ll give you we will match, UT is saying “you can maximize your NIL at Tennessee”.

I think the difference is Nolen doesn’t have a pro offer to entice him…UT isn’t saying hey man whatever they’ll give you we will match, UT is saying “you can maximize your NIL at Tennessee”.
I get what you’re saying, but it doesn’t matter. It is still technically “illegal” in the eyes of the NCAA for NIL to be used as a recruiting tool, which is the issue at hand. It doesn’t really matter that Memphis is combating pro leagues and Tennessee is combating other schools. And again, this is all going to be very hard to prove by the NCAA.

Reactions: allvolrecruiting
I get what you’re saying, but it doesn’t matter. It is still technically “illegal” in the eyes of the NCAA for NIL to be used as a recruiting tool, which is the issue at hand. It doesn’t really matter that Memphis is combating pro leagues and Tennessee is combating other schools. And again, this is all going to be very hard to prove by the NCAA.
I don’t think mentioning that as an instate recruit your opportunities are going to be more so than others is illegal, maybe I’m mistaken? It’s the issue of discussing actual deals and lining up deals or talking $$$ that is the issue.

I know it's somewhat un-Vol-like to point this out, but that point is not what I'm calling delusional. What's delusional is to think that Memphis won't be a threat, or UK won't steal one of our recruits away, or a recruit is going to pick UT over Alabama because Alabama fan support is weak. No, that's nowhere near the level of football delusion, but it is delusion nonetheless.

And I'm not singling you out. I only feel compelled to voice this because multiple posters have expressed these sentiments.

Well, I'm not in that camp that has said Memphis is not a threat and UK won't steal our recruits. I'm on record in the Cason Wallace thread saying we probably were on the outside looking in once Kentucky offered him. The only point I was making in this thread is that Penny continues to operate in a shady manner. Does UT do the same thing? Who knows. Maybe. We're certainly not immune, just look at football. But, I'd be shocked if Rick Barnes is out there setting up meetings with Jimmy Haslam and asking him to promise Cason Wallace a high 6-figure advertisement deal to come to Tennessee.

I don’t think mentioning that as an instate recruit your opportunities are going to be more so than others is illegal, maybe I’m mistaken? It’s the issue of discussing actual deals and lining up deals or talking $$$ that is the issue.
Again, do you believe that hasn't happened between Nolen and Tennessee? And if your next question is, "Where's your proof?", well...that's my point.

I think it is pretty clear that Tennessee, and everyone else, is lining up deals with boosters for players behind the scenes.

Again, do you believe that hasn't happened between Nolen and Tennessee? And if your next question is, "Where's your proof?", well...that's my point.

I think it is pretty clear that Tennessee, and everyone else, is lining up deals with boosters for players behind the scenes.
The difference is that there’s actual reports of this illegal deal…there’s been dirtiness for years, but until there’s reports and evidence to it it didn’t mean much. If Nolen lands at Tennessee and there’s articles coming out that Tennessee was working with Regal Cinemas to match any offer Nolen gets then I too think that would be a little worrisome.

Again, I’m not saying I don’t realize things go on, but that excuse doesn’t work when reports start surfacing and there’s evidence behind it…just ask Pearl & Tyndall. Oh and Pruitt too apparently.

The difference is that there’s actual reports of this illegal deal…there’s been dirtiness for years, but until there’s reports and evidence to it it didn’t mean much. If Nolen lands at Tennessee and there’s articles coming out that Tennessee was working with Regal Cinemas to match any offer Nolen gets then I too think that would be a little worrisome.

Again, I’m not saying I don’t realize things go on, but that excuse doesn’t work when reports start surfacing and there’s evidence behind it…just ask Pearl & Tyndall. Oh and Pruitt too apparently.
Then I’ll flip the question…where’s the proof? How are they going to prove deals existed during the recruitment of Bates and Duren? Unless we are talking about an even sloppier paper trail than Pruitt had (when a paper isn’t even necessary, anymore, I’ll add), I just don’t think I’ll believe it until I see it.

I get what you have said, and I was involved in one of those discussions (UK). But, my point is that Rick Barnes isn't and won't be scared of any of those schools. He has proven that he can beat UK with less talent. Even with some of our fans' criticisms of Barnes' coaching, many would also say that he's better than Penny.

UK is always UK, but this is the first time in my UT fandom that I don't automatically say that we will lose at Rupp (because Barnes has done it 3 times in 6 years).

Then I’ll flip the question…where’s the proof? How are they going to prove deals existed during the recruitment of Bates and Duren? Unless we are talking about an even sloppier paper trail than Pruitt had (when a paper isn’t even necessary, anymore, I’ll add), I just don’t think I’ll believe it until I see it.
I’m not saying there is proof, never said that…my point was it’s a bad look, and the kind of thing that will get some attention, which is never usually a good thing. Simply put, I wouldn’t want to hear that Tennessee & Chandler had discussion and that Rick Barnes was promising Kennedy he would get him any deal that OTE or G-League offered….whether true or not, proof or not, it’s a bad look and one you don’t want imo. Maybe you disagree and would be fine with that.

Also, as for how it’s proved or could blow up…these deals aren’t supposed to be related to schools at all. Meaning if Bates had gone to Michigan State he would still be entitled to whatever deal Fed Ex was offering him, and if they didn’t pay up and follow through I’m guessing he and his family might be a little vocal about that.

Reactions: tmack50

VN Store

Back