Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Seventy is the new Sixty, dontcha know?

Seriously, If he is in good health and the old fire still burns in the belly, then I don't see why not. I think CRB has a subtle little chip on his shoulder - he'd like to make everyone who trashes his tournament performance eat their words before he's through. I think that is one of his motivators.

I don’t think that he can’t continue to coach beyond 70. What I can’t expect is for the recruiting results to continue seeing the bar raised. At some point it has to plateau or even regress.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
I think this portal year is an outlier in both football and basketball because kids get instant eligibility. I’m sure it will be bigger than previously, but not as crazy as this past year

This. So much this. When there are more examples of kids making the wrong choice or vocalizing their regret in transferring, I think it will plateau. We don’t yet have those examples coaches can point to while recruiting. Some kids are going to get bad intel and bad advice, that’s a given. But I think this will be a self correcting situation.

Emoni Bates reclassifying; considering G League, Oregon, Memphis, Michigan State

Emoni Bates, the top-ranked men's basketball player in the 2022 class, is reclassifying to the 2021 class and is in the process of deciding whether he wants to go the college route or head to the NBA G League, a source confirmed to The Athletic on Wednesday. The news was first reported by Stadium.

If ends up going to college, Bates' top three choices are Oregon, Memphis and Michigan State. He was originally committed to play for the Spartans, but he decommitted and re-opened his recruitment in late April.

There's much buzz surrounding the potential of Bates teaming with fellow NBA lottery prospect Jalen Duren in a package deal to Memphis. Could it be? Perhaps.

Shortly after today's news, when I asked a source close to the situation if the possibility of him playing in college is legitimate, I was told, "Everything is on the table. Seriously."

Spoken by someone who probably hasn't reached that pinnacle yet. 70 sucks and it sure aint no 60.
How'd I mess at up?

I can't imagine why out of all the NCAA programs you'd want to waste your time with the underachieving and lackluster Penny Hardaway. I mean, we all know why ($$$) but I feel like there is enough of a sample size now to show that he is a poor coach. Losing Wisemen was big, but he still had a talented roster that year even after Wisemen's departure and they did nothing with it in a pretty weak conference all things considered. So funny that Penny was getting interviewed by NBA franchises....

I can't imagine why out of all the NCAA programs you'd want to waste your time with the underachieving and lackluster Penny Hardaway. I mean, we all know why ($$$) but I feel like there is enough of a sample size now to show that he is a poor coach. Losing Wisemen was big, but he still had a talented roster that year even after Wisemen's departure and they did nothing with it in a pretty weak conference all things considered. So funny that Penny was getting interviewed by NBA franchises....

It was a little bit of a couple of things: I agree that he’s not the best floor coach. He can teach defense, but they have struggled offensively. However, they also lost DJ Jeffries for the last several weeks of that season. That left Prescious Achiewa and a bunch of other young players. The rest were top 75-125 type guys and not ones that were dynamic enough to win a bunch of games as freshmen. Still won 21 games.

He may collect more talent and actually get to the NCAAT in that league, but I’m not worried about them against our talent and coaching. Still should be a fun matchup this December.

I don’t get why a top 5 recruit who’s considering getting paid in the G league would pass to play in the AAC in front of small crowds for a team that hasn’t made the NCAA tournament under their current coach. If you want the college basketball experience wouldn’t you go to a top conference and play for a team that draws huge crowds and regularly plays in the tournament?

It’s gonna be interesting…their canvases is going to have expectations set at Final Four or bust, he has the roster to do it, if they struggle I wonder how quick they turn on him?

I heard a suggestion this week that these guys could have some decent NIL deals lined up in Memphis.

Jonathan Lawson, an incoming recruit, already has support for a basketball camp where he was promised a certain amount of money. Has sponsors. It's not huge money, but it helps a college kid.

It’s gonna be interesting…their canvases is going to have expectations set at Final Four or bust, he has the roster to do it, if they struggle I wonder how quick they turn on him?
The question is not if they struggle, but when they struggle. At least, that has been his history each year.

Duren should be a solid college player due to his already grown man physique. (Still think his game is too limited to star at the next level)

I think Emoni struggles in the college game. Not really worried about Memphis.

I heard a suggestion this week that these guys could have some decent NIL deals lined up in Memphis.

Jonathan Lawson, an incoming recruit, already has support for a basketball camp where he was promised a certain amount of money. Has sponsors. It's not huge money, but it helps a college kid.
FedEx, I presume?

VN Store

Back