Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

With all this crazy talk, it had me thinking...what if Bailey decided to leave for his final year to be the man somewhere else? Would make sense if Edward s stuff is true.

Ticket
Pember
Plav
Walker
Bailey

Replace them with Kess, BHH, Tamba, Edwards
I don’t think the Edwards thing is true. Basilio checked in on it and said the person he talked to told him “no chance”.

If BHH and Kessler were to come in for next year, Tamba could stay in 2022. Especially if Fulky and Uros are both back. I also can't see all of Anosike, Bailey, Pember, Gaines, Uros, and Walker transferring. Walker is gone IMO, but the last 2-3 spots on a 13 man roster are almost never going to be filled with 4-5 star players. None of those guys want to sit. I can see arguments for all of them leaving, I will just be surprised if ALL of them being encouraged to leave. I could see Bailey or Gaines leaving for more playing time if we have an influx of talent. You have to have guys at the end of the bench that are fine being on the bench. With all this new news I would be ecstatic with a roster that looked like this:

Edwards
Chandler
Vescovi
JJJ
Springer
Powell (or another transfer shooter)
Maschack
BHH
Fulky
Kessler
Uros
Pember
OKN/Anosike

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfan1000
I don’t think the Edwards thing is true. Basilio checked in on it and said the person he talked to told him “no chance”.

It was a nice fantasy to think about for two-hours, but it was never realistic lol.

The most realistic "dream" off-season is landing BHH, Kessler, and a backup PG/sniper from three.

If no Edwards (which would have been a luxury anyway) than you can still keep Bailey on the roster. This years problem IMO wasn't the guys that started it was the guys from 6-10 on the roster that simply couldn't deliver. We have a chance to improve 6-10. We will see if any of this is true of course.

Bailey
Chandler
Vescovi
JJJ
Springer
Maschack
BHH
Fulky
Kessler
Uros
Pember
OKN/Anosike

If no Edwards (which would have been a luxury anyway) than you can still keep Bailey on the roster. This years problem IMO wasn't the guys that started it was the guys from 6-10 on the roster that simply couldn't deliver. We have a chance to improve 6-10. We will see if any of this is true of course.

Bailey
Chandler
Vescovi
JJJ
Springer
Maschack
BHH
Fulky
Kessler
Uros
Pember
OKN/Anosike

Fulky/Kessler/BHH will make each other better in a hurry. Not everyday 3 pro post players get to practice together

If BHH and Kessler were to come in for next year, Tamba could stay in 2022. Especially if Fulky and Uros are both back. I also can't see all of Anosike, Bailey, Pember, Gaines, Uros, and Walker transferring. Walker is gone IMO, but the last 2-3 spots on a 13 man roster are almost never going to be filled with 4-5 star players. None of those guys want to sit. I can see arguments for all of them leaving, I will just be surprised if ALL of them being encouraged to leave. I could see Bailey or Gaines leaving for more playing time if we have an influx of talent. You have to have guys at the end of the bench that are fine being on the bench. With all this new news I would be ecstatic with a roster that looked like this:

Edwards
Chandler
Vescovi
JJJ
Springer
Maschack
BHH
Fulky
Kessler
Uros
Pember
OKN/Anosike
Looks like a great roster. It has four freshman and two transfers. Seems like the accepted wisdom is that Barnes works best when he's got kids who've been in his system for at least a couple of years. How is a roster that's made up of kids who are half newcomers going to work out for him.

It was a nice fantasy to think about for two-hours, but it was never realistic lol.

The most realistic "dream" off-season is landing BHH, Kessler, and a backup PG/sniper from three.
I think Pember is gone, for sure. Then one of Gaines/Plavsic is also likely gone. Walker may join them. So, at least 3 end of bench guys, I expect to leave for greener pastures. Johnson and Springer are likely gone, too, so you’re looking at potentially 8 spots to fill. Chandler and Mashack get 2 of those, so BHH, Kessler, and Powell make a ton of sense for filling our needs. Then take a kid like Tamba and hope he can develop. That still leaves 2 open scholarships. Maybe Gaines and Walker stick around. Maybe we take a chance on a grad transfer PG to back up KC. Maybe we hold a scholarship, too.

Potential transfers:
Pember, Gaines, Walker

Returning scholarship players:
Vescovi, Bailey, Nkamhoua, James, Plavsic(?)

Seniors not counting against scholarship limits:
Fulkerson, Anosike

Incoming freshmen:
Chandler, Mashack, Huntley-Hatfield, Tamba

Transfers:
Kessler, Powell

Lineup looks something like this, and is really best case scenario for a team that currently has a few areas of concern...
PG: Chandler/Vescovi
SG: Powell/Vescovi/Bailey
Wing: JJJ/Mashack/Bailey
PF: Fulk/BHH/Nkamhoua/Anosike
C: Kessler/Fulk/Uros/Tamba

I think Pember is gone, for sure. Then one of Gaines/Plavsic is also likely gone. Walker may join them. So, at least 3 end of bench guys, I expect to leave for greener pastures. Johnson and Springer are likely gone, too, so you’re looking at potentially 8 spots to fill. Chandler and Mashack get 2 of those, so BHH, Kessler, and Powell make a ton of sense for filling our needs. Then take a kid like Tamba and hope he can develop. That still leaves 2 open scholarships. Maybe Gaines and Walker stick around. Maybe we take a chance on a grad transfer PG to back up KC. Maybe we hold a scholarship, too.

Potential transfers:
Pember, Gaines, Walker

Returning scholarship players:
Vescovi, Bailey, Nkamhoua, James, Plavsic(?)

Seniors not counting against scholarship limits:
Fulkerson, Anosike

Incoming freshmen:
Chandler, Mashack, Huntley-Hatfield, Tamba

Transfers:
Kessler, Powell

Lineup looks something like this, and is really best case scenario for a team that currently has a few areas of concern...
PG: Chandler/Vescovi
SG: Powell/Vescovi/Bailey
Wing: JJJ/Mashack/Bailey
PF: Fulk/BHH/Nkamhoua/Anosike
C: Kessler/Fulk/Uros/Tamba
I personally hope Walker stays here and works out as a multi year player. I feel like you need at least one or two 3-4 year players every year so would be disappointing not to have any as a result of last class.

Edit: It’s also why I like the sophomore class, even though it had too many projects. JJJ vescovi and potentially ORN will be big pieces of any success we have over the next 2-3 years.

Bingo...it’s why Auburn pushed so hard for Powell they thought it would give them a legit chance, they’ve been good friends for years. No guarantee they end up together but worth watching, I assure you that UK is selling them on it already.

Trying not to get my hopes up, but an off-season of BHH/Powell/Kessler would be a dream. Immediately fills 3 positions of need for next season.

Chandler/Vescovi
Powell/JJJ/Bailey
JJJ/Maschack/Gaines
BHH/ORN/Walker/Pember
Kessler/Plavsic

That's a pretty filthy starting 5. I'm bolding Pember/Gaines as I feel confident one of them will transfer so there will be an opportunity to upgrade that spot as well.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
I think Pember is gone, for sure. Then one of Gaines/Plavsic is also likely gone. Walker may join them. So, at least 3 end of bench guys, I expect to leave for greener pastures. Johnson and Springer are likely gone, too, so you’re looking at potentially 8 spots to fill.

I'm not sure I've fully processed just how big this off-season is for Tennessee basketball. It's huge.

The fact that there is a very realistic scenario in which we replace 8 members of the 2020-2021 squad is insane to think about. Couple that with English likely leaving for a head coaching gig and the disappointment of the last two seasons under Barnes, it feels like this will be a pivotal off-season for getting us back on track.

Gotta have some success on the transfer market though. Will be an interesting few months.

I'm not sure I've fully processed just how big this off-season is for Tennessee basketball. It's huge.

The fact that there is a very realistic scenario in which we replace 8 members of the 2020-2021 squad is insane to think about. Couple that with English likely leaving for a head coaching gig and the disappointment of the last two seasons under Barnes, it feels like this will be a pivotal off-season for getting us back on track.

Gotta have some success on the transfer market though. Will be an interesting few months.
Im sure some will just say im being negative, but its one of my concerns for next year. Barnes does better when he has guys for 2-3 years. Now he is flipping half the roster and 2 of them are one and dones. Its one reason im weary of next year.

Reactions: germanicus
Hope you are right. James has a lot to like. Good kid who is skilled in many areas, coachable, and plays defense. BUT that aside I really question his demeanor, and not his skill. He is afraid of contact despite having an NBA body, misses point blank layups and disappears far to often on the offensive end.
He needs a new girlfriend probably!

Hard for me to imagine Springer jumping to the NBA when the Developmental league at 7 grand a year and a trip to Turkey to play European Ball is his future. I bet he gets more in legal perks at UT than that. He projects at best as a late 2nd round pick. Everybody has not yet decided and when the players hit the draft he probably projects as undrafted. Johnson is a top 15 pick and his stock is only going up

Im sure some will just say im being negative, but its one of my concerns for next year. Barnes does better when he has guys for 2-3 years. Now he is flipping half the roster and 2 of them are one and dones. Its one reason im weary of next year.
Many on here have begged that he flip the roster though, saying we need to add a bunch of talent, so which is it?

Maybe we flip the roster and add some pieces but aren’t as good as fans feel we should be on paper (SHOCKER), but are still NCAAT team and set up better for the future?

Hard for me to imagine Springer jumping to the NBA when the Developmental league at 7 grand a year and a trip to Turkey to play European Ball is his future. I bet he gets more in legal perks at UT than that. He projects at best as a late 2nd round pick. Everybody has not yet decided and when the players hit the draft he probably projects as undrafted. Johnson is a top 15 pick and his stock is only going up
You are clueless

If all that were to transpire, it would be just about a perfect roster construction, which is why it will never all transpire. I haven't heard anything about BJE reclassifying, so that is news to me. The idea of Springer being unhappy doesn't COMPLETELY shock me...Barnes rode him harder than most others and he's not accustomed to being coached that hard...but if he doesn't go pro, I find a transfer difficult to believe.
I may be completely wrong but I want to say that I remember one of the selling points in Springers recruitment was the hard coaching he would receive from CRB? Am I just making this up in my head?
GBO!!

Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back