Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

It would probably be smart for at least one year to focus all your recruiting attention towards the 23 year old free agents. Especially if you already have couple of high rated freshman locked up like we do. You could go out and get exactly what you need to address weaknesses.

With the early signing period beginning in less than two weeks will the Vols add anyone besides Kennedy Chandler and Jahmai Mashack? As of now that appears unlikely but don’t rule it out entirely.

We don’t have any new ’21 names to throw at you but the Vols continue to be strongly in the mix with Brandon Huntley-Hatfield, who could potentially reclassify into the ’21 class and don’t rule out Tennessee finding another 2022 guy to do the same in the spring.

If neither of those things happen Tennessee will be hyperactive in looking for a grad transfer big man. The Vols are among a host of teams trying to get in the mix with Yale transfer Paul Atkinson.

-VQ

Couple things I found interesting...

-they say no new 2021 names but also say don’t completely rule out adding someone for fall signing period, who would that be? Seems like BHH would be the only option if he were to reclassify and sign, but he’s previously stated waiting until 2021 to do so.

-the mention of finding another 2022 to reclassify in the spring is something I’ve mentioned previously, so who might that be? A guy like De’ante Green would be a candidate imo.

-they say no new 2021 names but also say don’t completely rule out adding someone for fall signing period, who would that be? Seems like BHH would be the only option if he were to reclassify and sign, but he’s previously stated waiting until 2021 to do so.
I read that as them saying they really don't expect it but wanted to hedge their bets just in case, I don't think they had anyone in mind

Couple things I found interesting...

-the mention of finding another 2022 to reclassify in the spring is something I’ve mentioned previously, so who might that be? A guy like De’ante Green would be a candidate imo.
Hearing some talk that De’Ante Green and Tennessee have indeed been talking about him reclassifying and joining the 2021 class.

De'Ante Green, 2022 Power forward - Rivals.com

2021 we gonna have 3 spots or am I counting wrong?

Fulkerson, Pons & EJ will all be gone I'm sure. I guess Bailey could leave as well, plus Keon or Springer if they have breakout seasons I suppose. So between 3 and 6 spots (hopefully just 3 though). I think JJJ & Santi will stay for at least 3 seasons, but ya never know I guess.

Fulkerson, Pons & EJ will all be gone I'm sure. I guess Bailey could leave as well, plus Keon or Springer if they have breakout seasons I suppose. So between 3 and 6 spots (hopefully just 3 though). I think JJJ & Santi will stay for at least 3 seasons, but ya never know I guess.

The seniors can elect to come back in 2021-22.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol

The seniors can elect to come back in 2021-22.
Barring something unforeseen Pons will be going Pro. Fulky and EJ could return but would they? Pursue a PhD? Dr. Fulkerson?

Also why would Bailey be gone?

Barring something unforeseen Pons will be going Pro. Fulky and EJ could return but would they? Pursue a PhD? Dr. Fulkerson?

Also why would Bailey be gone?

Bailey will be in his 4th season (likely graduating this year) and if he has a really good season and UT does as well I could see him having a shot at being drafted. But I'd love for him to return and us only looking at replacing 3 guys for next season.

Bailey will be in his 4th season (likely graduating this year) and if he has a really good season and UT does as well I could see him having a shot at being drafted. But I'd love for him to return and us only looking at replacing 3 guys for next season.

I think that Bailey has 2 years of eligibility plus a third since 2020-21 is a freebie. UT will save money on his medical expenses since he’ll be eligible for Medicare.

Obviously it’s a complete guess at this time, but I’ll say we lose Pons, one of the freshmen declare and one of either Gains/Pember grows weary of waiting on PT and enters the portal.

Reactions: Afowl2
I think that Bailey has 2 years of eligibility plus a third since 2020-21 is a freebie. UT will save money on his medical expenses since he’ll be eligible for Medicare.
It’s also possible, I guess, that Bailey could elect to transfer if he finds himself clearly behind Vescovi, and Springer and Johnson elect to return with Chandler coming in. If Bailey graduates this year, or even if he doesn’t but the NCAA adopts the one time transfer policy, I could see it being an option for him to go somewhere and play his final two years in a less crowded backcourt. It seems unlikely as he appears bought in, knows Barnes well, and the likelihood of JS and KJ both returning is slim, but I guess it is possible.

It’s also possible, I guess, that Bailey could elect to transfer if he finds himself clearly behind Vescovi, and Springer and Johnson elect to return with Chandler coming in. If Bailey graduates this year, or even if he doesn’t but the NCAA adopts the one time transfer policy, I could see it being an option for him to go somewhere and play his final two years in a less crowded backcourt. It seems unlikely as he appears bought in, knows Barnes well, and the likelihood of JS and KJ both returning is slim, but I guess it is possible.
Were Keon and Jaden committed when VB transferred here? If so I’d think he’d stick around since he knew the guard rotation was going to be crowded

Were Keon and Jaden committed when VB transferred here? If so I’d think he’d stick around since he knew the guard rotation was going to be crowded
I don’t think so. I believe VB transferred late last spring. Keon then committed in August and Springer late in October, IIRC.

In either case, Bailey may have believed that the year ahead of them spent within the program may have given him a leg up, wanting to believe he could hold them off upon their arrival. If that happens, I’d say he stays. If he falls behind them, and neither leaves early, I could see him having a case to leave, but not necessarily believing that will be his ultimate decision. Just something to file away for the future, I guess.

I don’t think so. I believe VB transferred late last spring. Keon then committed in August and Springer late in October, IIRC.

In either case, Bailey may have believed that the year ahead of them spent within the program may have given him a leg up, wanting to believe he could hold them off upon their arrival. If that happens, I’d say he stays. If he falls behind them, and neither leaves early, I could see him having a case to leave, but not necessarily believing that will be his ultimate decision. Just something to file away for the future, I guess.

Bailey was here before the commitments of both Springer and Johnson. He probably thought he can do what Antonio Barton did his one year here. Play tough defense, hit open shots and let JJJ and Springer be more the lead guards and start/get significant minutes.

He probably didn’t see the Vescovi situation coming at all I’d imagine. And that who is going to really get into his PT.

Obviously it’s a complete guess at this time, but I’ll say we lose Pons, one of the freshmen declare and one of either Gains/Pember grows weary of waiting on PT and enters the portal.

Not sure, I think both of them were intentionally coming to UT to be developed like Admiral, Bone, Grant, Kyle, Fulkerson have been and they likely both realize it's a marathon not a race. I doubt Pember goes anywhere he's next in line to be Fulky 2.0 (we can hope!), plus he's a local kid why would he want to play anywhere else if he can be here on scholarship getting developed by one of the best staffs in the country at doing it?

Gaines may move on...I'm not sure, but if his goal is to get better every year and put himself in a position to make the NBA again don't know of a better place to be.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Here's what we know about this season.

Santi, Bailey, JJJ, Springer, Keon going to be the main guard rotation the 1/2 roles
Pons/Fulkerson will likely spend a ton of time on the court in the 3/4 roles possibly even playing 5

That's the first 7 in what I imagine could be a 10 man rotation. EJ, ORN, Uros being the other 3 I think earn a lot of minutes. The real question is how well will Walker, Pember, & Gaines handle it? I think with COVID though and the potential to have big leads they could get good minutes still. I'm less concerned with this season though, next year could be a big dip though if all the seniors leave and we lose 1 or 2 of the guards early to the draft with some of the other guys transferring out if the NCAA allows a "freebie" year.

Here's what we know about this season.

Santi, Bailey, JJJ, Springer, Keon going to be the main guard rotation the 1/2 roles
Pons/Fulkerson will likely spend a ton of time on the court in the 3/4 roles possibly even playing 5

That's the first 7 in what I imagine could be a 10 man rotation. EJ, ORN, Uros being the other 3 I think earn a lot of minutes. The real question is how well will Walker, Pember, & Gaines handle it? I think with COVID though and the potential to have big leads they could get good minutes still. I'm less concerned with this season though, next year could be a big dip though if all the seniors leave and we lose 1 or 2 of the guards early to the draft with some of the other guys transferring out if the NCAA allows a "freebie" year.
I think the names you listed first will be getting lions share of minutes at the 1-3 and Pons, Fulky and Anosike getting most minutes at 4 and 5. Only other players I see getting a few minutes a game is Gaines and ON. Unless a blowout of course.

VN Store

Back