Tennessee Transfer Portal Targets

I wanted us to steal a P5 guy or two, ala Keyontae Johnson.
If they show up and are able to actually play at this level then ill eat my crow, but Key, Daniel, Anisoke..... our history with mid major transfers isnt good.
Ledlum was the best player in the IVY league and Dalton Knecht is widely regarded as the best wing in the portal. Don't think the others had these kind of credentials

I wanted P5 transfe
These two may end up better, but our history with mid major transfers isnt good. EJA and Key were beasts at their old schools and how did they turn out?

Key was much better than Anosike- that’s how it turned out. Key was not a failure at UT at all. He played over 20 minutes per game on a Sweet 16 team.

Perhaps Baylor shouldn’t have taken a non Power 5 transfer, Maceo Teague from UNC Asheville a few years back. All he did was help them win a national championship and was one of the best players on their team. My point is not all non-power 5 transfers are equivalent. It is crazy to lump them all in the same category.

I would just judge each individually rather than just assume ever p6 transfer is better than every mid major transfer
Key was much better than Anosike- that’s how it turned out. Key was not a failure at UT at all. He played over 20 minutes per game on a Sweet 16 team.

Perhaps Baylor shouldn’t have taken a non Power 5 transfer, Maceo Teague from UNC Asheville a few years back. All he did was help them win a national championship and was one of the best players on their team. My point is not all non-power five transfers are equivalent. It is crazy to lump them all in the same category.
I just think you have a better chance of hitting with a P5 guy.

Anyone else think it would be nice if we could just eliminate both the illogical hissy fits and the confrontational responses to the illogical hissy fits? I admit I’ve been guilty of the latter before, but it doesn’t make for good discussion.
I’m kind of focused on the Seinfeld possible endings now. This is what really matters.

I just think you have a better chance of hitting with a P5 guy.
For sure, but there are no sure things. UK has had a few p5 transfers come in the last few years and not do much, with Oscar being an obvious exception. We had Justin Powell. It happens both ways, but I think most would agree that we’d prefer getting guys coming in from major programs who’d had success there, but I think there are legit players at the lower level who just developed later, this weren’t recruited like the guys at the big programs. Knecht is one of them, imo. He hit a growth spurt later in high school then grew more in JC, changing his game and what he brings.

Getting Knecht was a huge get. A guy who can score at all 3 levels. Now does anybody got any information on what’s going to happen now. Anybody Transferring? Anybody walking on?

For sure, but there are no sure things. UK has had a few p5 transfers come in the last few years and not do much, with Oscar being an obvious exception. We had Justin Powell. It happens both ways, but I think most would agree that we’d prefer getting guys coming in from major programs who’d had success there, but I think there are legit players at the lower level who just developed later, this weren’t recruited like the guys at the big programs. Knecht is one of them, imo. He hit a growth spurt later in high school then grew more in JC, changing his game and what he brings.

Arkansas, Alabama, and Auburn have all had multiple contributors who were mid major transfers the last few years. Kentucky’s best shooter this year was a midmajor transfer.

You can’t make a blanket statement about mid major transfers. We haven’t taken any to be team leading players. I think at least 1/2 of ours this year will greatly help our offense and be asked to do more.

Last edited:
No sure things in the transfer portal, regardless of if a guy comes from a mid major or P6 school.

Does a guy fit the culture? Does he fit the system? Is he able to play a position he’s comfortable with or is he asked to play out of position like we asked Key to do often times this season? All of those things factor in.

What bodes well for Knecht and Ledlum is that they, at least from a distance, seem to fit the culture and they certainly possess skill sets, specifically on the offensive end, that we need. Based on what we have returning, it doesn’t seem like they will have to play out of position very much.

I don’t expect either to be all SEC players. I do think they are both capable of averaging 8-12 ppg.

Arkansas, Alabama, and Auburn have all had multiple contributors who were mid major transfers the last few years. Kentucky’s best shooter this year was a midmajor transfer.

You can’t make a blanket statement about mid major transfers. We haven’t taken any to be team leading players. I think at least 1/2 of ours this year will greatly help our offense and he asked to do more.
What?
I wasn’t making a blanket statement about transfers in general. That’s the point. Some guys produce from lower tier programs who move up, and produce, and some go from power program to another power program(I stated examples like at UK who has had some come from p5 schools and not do much) and don’t live up to the hype.

No sure things in the transfer portal, regardless of if a guy comes from a mid major or P6 school.

Does a guy fit the culture? Does he fit the system? Is he able to play a position he’s comfortable with or is he asked to play out of position like we asked Key to do often times this season? All of those things factor in.

What bodes well for Knecht and Ledlum is that they, at least from a distance, seem to fit the culture and they certainly possess skill sets, specifically on the offensive end, that we need. Based on what we have returning, it doesn’t seem like they will have to play out of position very much.

I don’t expect either to be all SEC players. I do think they are both capable of averaging 8-12 ppg.

“No sure things in the transfer portal”
Bingo. Same for recruiting. So many variables. I'm very optimistic and excited about the new guys and I think they will be a huge addition to the team as far as addressing needs (Knecht especially), but there are no sure things.

Last edited:
What?
I wasn’t making a blanket statement about transfers in general. That’s the point. Some guys produce from lower tier programs who move up, and produce, and some go from power program to another power program(I stated examples like at UK who has had some come from p5 schools and not do much) and don’t live up to the hype.

Sorry, I liked it and agreed with you. I quoted your post that responded to another post. I did it on purpose that way, but sorry for the confusion.

Here is my thought... I like to think outside the box!
I am not limited by only thinking in terms of 13 athletic scholarships.
Granted, some will have to be on scholarship...no questions. If I had talent...I already bleed orange...so I would take the walk on and hope for the best...a Ga QB did that, a FL QB did that and it worked out for them. I am not saying that is the case for Gainey or JJJ, but if they think like me...then anything is possible.
There are more support methods than just athletic scholarships. GA positions, academic, etc
Not claiming that I know how this is going to shake out. I'm in the dark... But the light is about to come on.... In the meantime... I'm going to revel in what I see as a 25+ win team this fall.
GO Barnes. Go Vols.

Been out getting drunk celebrating finishing my master’s degree tonight and I come back to this board to see it in a **** storm the night we land a major commitment in Knecht 😂 Never change Vol Nation.

Awesome haul by Barnes. Great off-season. Next year is going to be fuuuuuuuun.

Been out getting drunk celebrating finishing my master’s degree tonight and I come back to this board to see it in a **** storm the night we land a major commitment in Knecht 😂 Never change Vol Nation.

Hope you enjoyed your Bud Light

Congrats Mookie 🍻

Congrats on the Masters Degree

Reactions: vol94 and Lankykong

Hell yeah, congrats brotha!

To everyone who complained about the offense and scoring off the dribble the last year or two (even me, at times): these needs have been met. I see no holes on the roster next year as long as Dillone is a serviceable PG. Let’s f***n ride.

Last edited:

Congratulations, Mookie! 🍺

VN Store

Back