Tennessee Softball

Tennessee picked to finish third in softball behind Florida and Georgia. Lady Vol softball will have a lot of new faces I was actually expected us to be picked around the middle of the league. Hopefully some of the highly touted freshmen come through with big seasons.

Florida tabbed to win 2019 softball title

Always look forward to LV Softball!!

Tennessee picked to finish third in softball behind Florida and Georgia. Lady Vol softball will have a lot of new faces I was actually expected us to be picked around the middle of the league. Hopefully some of the highly touted freshmen come through with big seasons.

Florida tabbed to win 2019 softball title

Man, I am sooooo ready for some softball! Let's get this party started!

Two more coaches that underachieve with GOBS of talent. I'm still trying to figure out how you don't win a NC with Monica Abbott? When it comes to nut-cuttin' time, Ralph and Karen leave a lot to be desired. Of course this opinion won't be popular, but above average is good enough for UT... apparently.

Two more coaches that underachieve with GOBS of talent. I'm still trying to figure out how you don't win a NC with Monica Abbott? When it comes to nut-cuttin' time, Ralph and Karen leave a lot to be desired. Of course this opinion won't be popular, but above average is good enough for UT... apparently.

I can think of a lot of teams that would die to have the records the Weeklys have put up.

I can think of a lot of teams that would die to have the records the Weeklys have put up.
No doubt. Their records are outstanding. However... our standard at UT "USED" to be championships and filling the cabinet with them. As far as hardware goes, IMO, we've underachieved.

Laughed at this

To be able to take third place in the league I think we must see a lot of improvement out of Morgan and Ayala as hitters this season. Neither were terrible as freshmen, but if they can't rise up a lot better this season were gonna have a lot of difficulty scoring runs on offense. We'll have new players at SS where we take a huge hit offensively and center where we should be ok with anyone that can hit .300.
Right now I'm guessing Morgan at first, Leach definitely at second, Huffstetler at short, Seggern at third. Holcomb will probably be in right and Ayala in left. I think the catcher is Shipman even though Lockman is a senior don't think she can hold the job. Centerfield I have no clue a lot of excellent freshman players should be a battle maybe we'll see a platoon depending on left or right handed pitcher.
Pitching hopefully is the strong point for us with Moss senior and Arnold junior should be at the top of their games. Rogers can throw strikes at least and that is a huge part of the battle in being able to pitch in the SEC.
I think this team may have the lowest homerun total of any Tennessee softball team in several seasons. I don't see a lot of power on the team. We may not have an individual player hit ten all season.

Reactions: OrangenSC
Umpires in the tournament were enforcing the rules re: "slappers". Do any of you long term fans think that slapping will disappear? Just curious.

To be able to take third place in the league I think we must see a lot of improvement out of Morgan and Ayala as hitters this season. Neither were terrible as freshmen, but if they can't rise up a lot better this season were gonna have a lot of difficulty scoring runs on offense. We'll have new players at SS where we take a huge hit offensively and center where we should be ok with anyone that can hit .300.
Right now I'm guessing Morgan at first, Leach definitely at second, Huffstetler at short, Seggern at third. Holcomb will probably be in right and Ayala in left. I think the catcher is Shipman even though Lockman is a senior don't think she can hold the job. Centerfield I have no clue a lot of excellent freshman players should be a battle maybe we'll see a platoon depending on left or right handed pitcher.
Pitching hopefully is the strong point for us with Moss senior and Arnold junior should be at the top of their games. Rogers can throw strikes at least and that is a huge part of the battle in being able to pitch in the SEC.
I think this team may have the lowest homerun total of any Tennessee softball team in several seasons. I don't see a lot of power on the team. We may not have an individual player hit ten all season.
Your initial lineup is exactly like mine is and I would not be surprised if Shipman is the starting catcher. Center I do not know enough about the new ladies to pick a center fielder either. Could move Holcomb there and try a newby in left. Ralph has always said and he should know that this is a pitchers game. We seem to have three good ones which is a rarity for us. HRs will be like hens teeth. I hope Leach will get 3 or 4 more and Seggern needs to get 7 or 8 more. Morgan has to hit more as well. I can see Shipman getting 8-10 if she is the stud we hope she is. Our big girls who are seniors have to hit with more power which includes Lockman and who knows about Bearden. Lets get the games on cant wait!

As far as I'm concerned, Ma & Pa Weekly can stay around for as long as they want.

2019 Tennessee Softball Position Preview: Pitchers/Catchers - University of Tennessee Athletics
Here is the Pitcher and Catcher preview.

Pacini is one of the players I thought could be in line to be a player that contributed a lot but playing the outfield. She is a right handed hitter as is Phillips something we were shorthanded in last season. Good to see we have a lot more right handed hitters this season. I'm thinking were gonna see a lot of Shipman at the catching position.

Last edited:
Your initial lineup is exactly like mine is and I would not be surprised if Shipman is the starting catcher. Center I do not know enough about the new ladies to pick a center fielder either. Could move Holcomb there and try a newby in left. Ralph has always said and he should know that this is a pitchers game. We seem to have three good ones which is a rarity for us. HRs will be like hens teeth. I hope Leach will get 3 or 4 more and Seggern needs to get 7 or 8 more. Morgan has to hit more as well. I can see Shipman getting 8-10 if she is the stud we hope she is. Our big girls who are seniors have to hit with more power which includes Lockman and who knows about Bearden. Lets get the games on cant wait!
I do think Osborne could take the shortstop job has a lot more power than Huffstetler but not the experience.

If you watched it then it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Bases loaded & no outs at least one of the next 3 batters needs to put the ball in play instead of taking K's but go ahead and put all of that on the coaches.

I do think Osborne could take the shortstop job has a lot more power than Huffstetler but not the experience.
I as well am not sold on Huff but I think it is hers to lose. I want a good hitter there regardless of who it is and don't know if Huff has had the chance to prove her worth for us yet. I was told a year ago that if Leach didn't have second base Huff would have it. I believe she redshirted last year which may or not turn into a good thing. I think we need more righties and both of those are right hand hitters.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Tennessee Softball Position Preview: Infielders - University of Tennessee Athletics

The infield looks solid and looks like we've got two really solid players as prospects to replace Gregg. Osborn is capable of hitting with power also has a very good arm. Huffstetler is also a very solid player that has the experience advantage. Of course we'll suffer some with the bat don't expect either to come close to the homer RBI and average of Gregg. The hope would be something like 8 to 10 Homeruns 40 RBi's and an obp around .380

Last edited:
If I was to predict the opening starting lineup now that Ralph will put on the field it would be:
Leach
Holcomb
Shipman
Seggern
Huffstetler
Morgan
Ayala
unknown

I would personally go

Holcomb first because all she can do is slap
Leach because she can slap and hit with power
Shipman expecting her to be the most productive freshman
Seggern clutch hitter
Huffstetler or Osborn both should be efficient enough for the fifth spot
Morgan she needs to hit a lot higher average should have more power as a sophomore
Ayala expecting .350 out of her this season
Who will be the centerfielder? Pacini, Holcomb to center, Bearden to left, Batts, a lot of options this will be interesting.

If I was to predict the opening starting lineup now that Ralph will put on the field it would be:
Leach
Holcomb
Shipman
Seggern
Huffstetler
Morgan
Ayala
unknown

I would personally go

Seggern clutch hitter
Huffstetler or Osborn bot
Leach
Holcomb
Shipman
Seggern
Huffstetler
Morgan
Ayala
unknown

I would personally go

Seggern clutch hitter
Huffstetler or Osborn both should be efficient enough for the fifth spot
Morgan she needs to hit a lot higher average should have more power as a sophomore
Who will be the centerfielder? Pacini, Holcomb to center, Bearden to left, Batts, a lot of options this will be interesting.

h should be efficient enough for the fifth spot
I see :Morgan at first

My projected lineup would be : Morgan at first, Leach at second, Huffstetler at SS, Seggern at Third, Shipman at catcher, Pacini in left, Holcomb in center, and Ayala in right...
Batting order: Leach
Holcomb
Seggern
Shipman
Huffstetler
Morgan
Pacini
Ayala
Osborn or Bearden (dh)

JMO...

I have already stated mine but I do not think Bearden can hang in the outfield. We need it to be speed which can be one of several . Whoever hits plays and Bearden is not a natural hitter. JMHO as always! May let Lockman dh for that player as well!

VN Store

Back