Tennessee Softball 2024

If I was coaching she would be my stating pitcher tomorrow but you have to take a different approach on the pitch calling . Go back and look at the pitches they hit and find their weaknesses. Payton has arm to keep them off the bases. I would love to call pitches for her against Alabama. We still have to hit and score runs.
Karen's pitch calling is hit or miss. Some games it works other games it is so predictable. I was watching the game at a bar and the people around me knew for the most part knew what Karen was going to call. It is fine with Pickens because her velocity is very hard to catch up to even when you know it's coming, but with someone like Payton and her spin you need to keep them guessing. I need to see the Gottshall offspeed tomorrow, no questions. Implement that pitch and it is a totally different look

After having hours to decompress and gather my thoughts I will say that this game was an emotional roller coaster, but it did hurt. I imagine just as much as the early exit in the sec tournament. There were a lot of good things today, but unfortunately a lot more bad things. Yes there will be games that will be the case and a team/coach will outplay you, but what separates good and great teams in the postseason is how you respond. I think Payton did okay at times it was a little too predicable on what pitch was going to be called and correct me if I am wrong, but I have not seen an "offspeed" from her since the beginning of the year? I think if Karen can call that pitch a little more it will help. As far as Karlyn goes, man she was a dog out there just battling every inning no matter what traffic was going on around her. I feel for her the most considering she did everything asked of her on what looked like a very hot day. I will say that Boo needs to clean up the defense at 3rd, too many balls that she is misplaying that are allowing baserunners. And finally the most disappointing part of the day....the offense. I truly do not know what conversations were being had, but clearly they did not work. Once we got past the 8th inning obviously beaver was implementing the changeup more often, but to hitters like Boo, West, G she was hammering strikes over the plate that we NEEDED to drive. I hated seeing how we kept getting underneath the ball when if we were a little more disciplined and just had a better bat path with our hands we could square up a couple of more balls. I do not know if the issue was timing or pitch identification, but some hitters just went up there guessing or getting jammed....for someone that Pannell who had at least 3 ABs in a row where she could've driven someone in if she just lets the ball travel a little longer she is barreling up a couple balls. Let's be honest, we got our free passes with some walks/hbps but just kept trying to lift the ball when their defense was shaky anything could've happened if we just put the ball on the ground. I will say I would have liked Karen to be more aggressive on the base paths with hit n runs, bunt n runs, stealing bases at the right times in order to make some chaos happen. I think this time of year the homers will come when they come, but good teams against good pitching are able to play all different types of offense whether it'd be the long ball, station to station, or the speed game. Create momentum early in the game on defense/pitching and take the wind out of their sail early and we are putting ourselves in a position to win, if we wait until the latter part of the game our backs are against the wall. Leadership from Milloy, West, Gottshall, and Puni are going to be critical.
Excellent comment.

Good example of good coaching would be how Murphy is taking a bad Alabama team and completing against a very good Tennessee team. Why is Murphy being successful because his team is making adjustments and using the scouting report on our team from playing each other throughout the year. Also he moves runs with the small ball.

Karen's pitch calling is hit or miss. Some games it works other games it is so predictable. I was watching the game at a bar and the people around me knew for the most part knew what Karen was going to call. It is fine with Pickens because her velocity is very hard to catch up to even when you know it's coming, but with someone like Payton and her spin you need to keep them guessing. I need to see the Gottshall offspeed tomorrow, no questions. Implement that pitch and it is a totally different look

Good freaking grief!

Are you really choosing pitching as the area to criticize?

I disagree… hit the damn ball with any competency and this is an easy win. Pitching did its part

Good freaking grief!

Are you really choosing pitching as the area to criticize?

I disagree… hit the damn ball with any competency and this is an easy win. Pitching did its part
I know pitching did its part, I was speaking more towards how she calls pitches with Payton for some reason they were squaring up her pretty hard and it could be pitch calling or Alabama hitters reading her spin and making the adjustments

Reactions: RebKell
Put G at 9
Poor G she is like a bad fielder the ball will always find them and with her the big hitting spots find her. Hopefully tomorrow she will get it done. She is not alone in the need to get going. As Scarlet O'hara would say but tomorrow is a new day. Karlyn sounded more mad than defeated in that video she may start.

Poor G she is like a bad fielder the ball will always find them and with her the big hitting spots find her. Hopefully tomorrow she will get it done. She is not alone in the need to get going. As Scarlet O'hara would say but tomorrow is a new day. Karlyn sounded more mad than defeated in that video she may start.
Although she did have some horrendous ABs she drove a hard grounder to right field and worked the count and got the walk. I will say if I am G and I have an opportunity to drive in runs I’m shortening up and going oppo she is good at that, hell even chopping at the ball would do

Reactions: brittannica
In my fantasy as coach for a day tomorrow, I'd have er'body tryin' to tar and feather me before tossing me into the Tennessee River, because I swear I'd be tempted to shake the batting order up pretty dramatically just to see if the change in routine might wake up something inside everyone.

Yeah, baby! Just for SAG:

Leadoff: Puni. For some reason she isn't as confident as she once was. Maybe being given this opportunity would excite her.

Milloy: I'm a risk taker, but I'm not stupid. Kiki always has a good shot at reaching base.

Nugent: She is growing. Maybe today will be huge.

Mealer: Yeah, this is insane. But maybe exactly the motivation this kid will step up to deliver in.

Koutsoyanopulos: Bring on the tar and feathers! I like how she hangs in there, is intense, and I think due a game-changing at-bat

Rodriguez: She's due. Get 'er done!

Pannell: Just need her to take good swings!

West: What a boost she would be to the confidence of everyone in this spot! Base hit from the 8 hole!

Gibson: I feel like she can could have West's back and make sure the hit she got doesn't go to waste.

Fun times tomorrow! I have a good feeling about the game and feel like the team will come together and pull out the win. They got plenty of baserunners today and left nearly a twenty-piece stranded. They'll get their baserunners tomorrow and get them across the plate this time. No WAY do they have back-to-back games like today's was.

I don't feel that you have any chance of that lineup. But it's the thought that counts. 18 LOB and didn't feel good all day long,

The real question is, do you think we'd have any chance WITH that lineup? I already know this won't be the actual lineup. Am I insane, or could this have been something worth trying?

Milloy
Brockenbrough
Gibson
West
Nugent
Puni
Pannell
DRod
Mealer

Not going to happen for sure, but I am benching G for Brockenbrough. Puni can play third and Gibson to first base.

Keys to the game

Pitching: leadoff outs
Defense: don’t give their speed game opportunities for the extra base
Offense: good hand/bat path, create chaos
Do the little things right

Keep Murphy from deflating momentum with his impromptu timeouts to stall the game.

Take the umpires out of the game, make them call a basic game.

Payton has to come out with fire when she pitches/starts or comes in. I’m believing Pickens will start based off Karen’s interview. It’ll take both today to get us to next week.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back