Tennessee Softball 2024

Figure we'll start White in this final game look to get two innings out of her go to Pickens and hope she can finish. I could see us going to Gottshall if she struggles.

Have not been able to see any of the games so far, :mad:, but have been surprised with White and Orsini starting all the games. Do you think this a temporary move by Karen just to get them some meaningful innings or is there some kind of strategy involved? Seems to be working whatever the reason.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Have not been able to see any of the games so far, :mad:, but have been surprised with White and Orsini starting all the games. Do you think this a temporary move by Karen just to get them some meaningful innings or is there some kind of strategy involved? Seems to be working whatever the reason.
I think this is a season strategy to try to limit as much as possible the innings of two starting pitchers. I think it is a good strategy as teams usually need to go once through the batting order to make adjustments on a pitcher. If you can get pitchers like White and Orsini to give you a couple of scoreless innings or even a run in two. Then your incoming top pitchers only need to go five which is quite a reduction in pitches and innings over a long season.

Believe it’s build confidence in the players, team and Karen trusting. All are on a short leash already which isn’t good for them or the team to figure it out without calling Payton in.

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
It's not good to draw too many conclusions from the first three games, two played against the #19 team in the country. If we want make a deep run, Orsini, White and Pickens have to get chances to get comfortable on the mound. As some have said, Karen is trying to give them confidence while keeping a short leash. We want to win, after all. Same confidence thing with the bottom of the line-up. Faw has played exactly three college games. She needs some time to settle in, as she's not seen hitting or pitching like this before. When Pannell and G get their first hits, they'll be fine. G has changed her stance since last year. She no longer does that twitching thing with her midsection before each swing. Remember, that last season was uniquely hard for her, as she had to learn to catch. All that squatting and change of mechanics and wear and tear surely affected her hitting. Now we'll see if she can recover her last year's early season form with someone else behind the plate. Nugent looks like she'll work out just fine. Katie Taylor is what she is: a good fielder and average hitter. But she makes contact. The Leach sisters do need to get more playing time, and things will change when Puni can field. All a work in progress. But we look promising thus far. A lot of potential.

I’m not there so I don’t get to sit on the meetings on this one, but when you have four games in three days, you try to manage innings best you can.

If you send out your starter and she goes 7 consecutive innings, there’s little chance she’s available the next day. In a three-game series in SEC play or the postseason, that’s not a problem. But in this case, putting a player out there for two or three innings, particularly when you’re confident that you’re off offense is going to score some runs, then you can manage the back half of the game differently. PG came in last night and only had to throw limited pitches to finish off the game. same for Pickens in the first game.

Most important part, and I can tell you from personal experience that Karen and Megan are very good at this, is that you set the plan and the expectation with your pitchers and your team going into the game. If everyone knows what to expect, then you don’t get the feelings or the confidence issues that can arise from being pulled from a game unexpectedly or not starting when it’s your “turn.”

Regardless, to achieve this season at the level that we did last year, they are going to need significant contributions from all four members of the pitching staff, whether it’s in long appearances or short ones.

The hop is the error. It should be an error.
This my one big gripe with softball scoring. It assumes they can’t make plays unless everything is perfect. No male player would be given the position if they couldn’t field a routine hop from the fielder. It is a disservice to the players and the pitchers. When throwing from the hole it is not always perfect.

VN Store

Back