Tennessee Softball 2023

The Big Ten sucks. Their champ Northwestern shouldn’t even be seeded and they got lucky by getting Kentucky in their regional, Indiana (got run ruled) and Minnesota (lost twice in two days to McNeese) tied for second.

Reactions: WVU05UT09
Remember Orme from Baylor a junior? She has crashed and burned. Not even pitching or being trusted now so it just doesn’t happen to freshman.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I'm a big fan of Pickens. If she gets straightened out and develops a few more pitches she could be a great pitcher. But after the Alabama first-inning fiasco I'm afraid she's in Karen's doghouse. Karen seems to have lost some confidence in her.
After the Bama game in the SEC Tournament they had Karen and KiKi on to talk and they (I think it was Alyssa Lang, Kayla Braugh and Tori Vidales) said something about Karlyn’s struggles. Karen said something along the lines of yeah, she’s not playing great but the defense also needs to do a better job of helping her out when she’s out there.

After the Bama game in the SEC Tournament they had Karen and KiKi on to talk and they (I think it was Alyssa Lang, Kayla Braugh and Tori Vidales) said something about Karlyn’s struggles. Karen said something along the lines of yeah, she’s not playing great but the defense also needs to do a better job of helping her out when she’s out there.
Yes, it does seem like when Karlyn’s pitching our defense are making more errors especially at SS and 3B. But in their defense they are getting rockets hit at them when she’s pitching. When batters are squaring up balls it makes things a lot tougher on the fielders. I have seen it for years… a team plays different for different pitchers on the mound. It’s like they have confidence that they are going to win and play loose vs playing tight because they don’t have as much confidence in a certain pitcher.

I’m not a Karlyn hater but trying to be a realest. Players that are put on a pedestal before they earn it never pan out. Take out the Clemson game then how does her season look. To throw 74mph is a gift but not to be able to consistently hit your spots you’ll never be that all american pitcher to take a team to the WCWS. When throwing that hard your ball doesn’t have time to move as much as a slower pitcher. It’s easier to teach movement vs control. Karlyn should’ve been compared to Fouts her freshman year because Fouts took them to the WCWS but the difference is Fouts had control of her 74mph pitches and that’s also why she won championships at the high school and travel ball levels. To consistently thrown balls and wild pitches you put your defense to sleep and they start to play on their heels and not their toes. Be careful when you hype players up to early because look how Fouts snd Barnhill finished their careers at 70+ throwers.

Last edited:
Reactions: orange beard
https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/softball/d1/2023

Still intriguing how some of these lower seeds got better draws than Tennessee.
Completely agree, if you take Indiana and Louisville out and put them in any other regional it makes it a tougher regional. On paper Tennessee had the toughest regional. You can’t seed on what someone has done in the past and that’s how I think some of the seeding is figured on name recognition. On paper no way Indiana and Louisville should be in the same regional.

Yes, it does seem like when Karlyn’s pitching our defense are making more errors especially at SS and 3B. But in their defense they are getting rockets hit at them when she’s pitching. When batters are squaring up balls it makes things a lot tougher on the fielders. I have seen it for years… a team plays different for different pitchers on the mound. It’s like they have confidence that they are going to win and play loose vs playing tight because they don’t have as much confidence in a certain pitcher.

I’m not a Karlyn hater but trying to be a realest. Players that are put on a pedestal before they earn it never pan out. Take out the Clemson game then how does her season look. To throw 74mph is a gift but not to be able to consistently hit your spots you’ll never be that all american pitcher to take a team to the WCWS. When throwing that hard your ball doesn’t have time to move as much as a slower pitcher. It’s easier to teach movement vs control. Karlyn should’ve been compared to Fouts her freshman year because Fouts took them to the WCWS but the difference is Fouts had control of her 74mph pitches and that’s also why she won championships at the high school and travel ball levels. To consistently thrown balls and wild pitches you put your defense to sleep and they start to play on their heels and not their toes. Be careful when you hype players up to early because look how Fouts snd Barnhill finished their careers at 70+ throwers.
Realist? She was SEC Freshman of The Year, about as real as it gets. As far as earning it, she did in the first month of the season in beating Clemson. If you want to say she couldn’t sustain it, that’s fair as coaches were able to scheme around her. A lot of expectations put on a freshman, no need for comparisons for her when the team hasn’t been to the WCWS. Not her job to get Tennessee to OKC, she is just part of the piece.

Last edited:
Karlyn has the potential to be as good as she wants to be. Chelsea Thomas at Mizzou came in throwing only smoke and by the time she was a junior she was a top 5 pitcher in the country and her senior year she was the best pitcher in the country not named Keilani Ricketts and was SEC Pitcher of the Year.

I would like Karen to start KP and let her throw at least a few batters and see how she handles it. If we cant beat either team we are in trouble anyway. I think she deserves it and go from there. PG and then AR if needed.
I can respect your opinion, but I’ll leave this decision with the staff. They have to read the entire clubhouse.

Realist? She was SEC Freshman of The Year, about as real as it gets. As far as earning it, she did in the first month of the season in beating Clemson. If you want to say she couldn’t sustain it that’s fair as coaches were able to scheme around her. A lot of expectations put on a freshman, no need for comparisons for her when the team hasn’t been to the WCWS. Not her job to get Tennessee to OKC, she is just part of the piece.

She had a very good freshman year IMO. And she has plenty of room to grow and get better. We should all be excited about her future.

We are fortunate that she is in a position where she doesn’t have all of the pressure on her shoulders. She can watch Rogers do the really heavy lifting and pitch as-needed through the postseason. A win-win for everyone.

If Pickens went into portal today name the Sec team that would not take her tomorrow. Control has been an issue off and on. Part of that is pitch calling. Ashley as big a stud as there is couldn’t throw her changeup with the wet ball. So what did we do? Kept calling it. If that inning would have went on she would have walked in batters. They call pitches sometimes like their pitchers are machines and some days you just don’t have a pitch.

Probably true, but the defense has nothing to do with it when they hit home runs.

VN Store

Back