Tennessee requests 30 day extension

That's not how this feels to me.

This feels to me more like the legal firm hired by UT is milking it for all they can get. They asked UT to ask for an extension. More billable hours, you see.

Now, what they said to UT to make UT agree, I don't know. But one thing is for sure: lawyers almost always suck. And that's when they're on your side.

Nothing to worry about in this, I don't think. Other than lawyers suck.

Go Vols!

Sadly, if W revocations are in the cards, it'll be a lot more than 3. It'll probably be the entire 2019 and 2020 seasons. So 8 + 3 = 11 wins vacated. Because the investigaion revealed the payoffs started as early as September 2018. Which means the kids being paid were on the team for both 2019 and 2020. And some of the lads who suspiciously left with Pruitt, they played in every single one of those games.

Well, then they can take 11 Ws and we’ll get ‘em all back this year plus a few bonus wins

I bet they’ve already worked things out behind the scenes and UT knows what the punishment is, but they don’t want to tarnish or distract from what’s going on right now. No way will there be a post season ban. It will probably scholarship reductions and some fines. One of the news articles regarding this latest bit said the NCAA board of directors recently voted to move away from punishing universities and instead incentivize the cooperations. They know they are on borrowed time in this day and age if they don’t change.

Exactly.
I mean if you broke the rules you broke the rules-expect the consequences. Even if the NCAA is disbanded, what UT did was a big no no and still under sanctions of the NCAA. Sure they got rid of all the idiots who cheated, but the University of Tennessee Athletics Department is being investigated here. Not Pruitt or Fulmer.

To me, It’s like saying I stole a bunch of money and went to jail, but now that we have a new governor, it didn’t happen and I can be absolved.

Not exactly. In this case, it would be more like your roomie took your car, dressed like you, and robbed a bank. Your license tag is on the security cameras.

Now, if you don't have a good alibi then yes you're probably screwed.

Now, if you happen to work at somewhere with security cameras every 10 feet and can show you were at work, knew nothing about it, blah blah blah. Then the police go after someone else, correct?

Basically that is what UT has done here. Shown that Pruitt and cos little giveaways we're not university sanctioned and as soon as finding out, investigating then dropping the hammer.

Does it work? Guess we will find out. At this point and all things considered, the NCAA cannot feasibly do much to us in terms of severe penalties.

If we were still hanging around with the Missouri's of the world in terms of success then we may be in trouble.

There's not going to be any scholarship reductions imposed. The NCAA put out a statement praising UT for it's handling of and and cooperation during the investigation, if they hammer us beyond the already self imposed penalties the NCAA would look terrible. They would in effect tell every other school it's not in your best interest to cooperate.

Also, didn’t we not only cooperate but also self report the whole thing ? I’ve forgotten the details but if I’m remembering correctly they wouldn’t even know about this. Granted we couldn’t have fired Pruitt with cause and we would either be paying his buyout or still have him, but I doubt they report the infractions if things like multi year bowl bans and the death penalty are on the table.

That's not how this feels to me.

This feels to me more like the legal firm hired by UT is milking it for all they can get. They asked UT to ask for an extension. More billable hours, you see.

Now, what they said to UT to make UT agree, I don't know. But one thing is for sure: lawyers almost always suck. And that's when they're on your side.

Nothing to worry about in this, I don't think. Other than lawyers suck.

Go Vols!

Sadly, if W revocations are in the cards, it'll be a lot more than 3. It'll probably be the entire 2019 and 2020 seasons. So 8 + 3 = 11 wins vacated. Because the investigaion revealed the payoffs started as early as September 2018. Which means the kids being paid were on the team for both 2019 and 2020. And some of the lads who suspiciously left with Pruitt, they played in every single one of those games.
I think this about delaying the NCAA decision until after recruiting period and regular season. It really has nothing to do with lawyers trying to milk money.

Yeah this sounds to me like Tennessee is trying to push this out to the holidays in hopes that it will take the NCAA until the new year to get around to it. Also seems like that would mean Tennessee is bracing for some kind of greater punishment?

Yeah this sounds to me like Tennessee is trying to push this out to the holidays in hopes that it will take the NCAA until the new year to get around to it. Also seems like that would mean Tennessee is bracing for some kind of greater punishment?
Only thing that make sense would be recruiting and the post season. Don't know what 30 days does for either of those things because I don't know when the extension begins/ends. In 30 days, we will likely know our bowl/playoff situation so that seems most likely in my mind. Recruiting doesn't seem as likely due to the calendar and the fact we "self imposed" during Heupels first year. Maybe a limit on visits? Off campus visits? Either way this is akin to a death by a thousand cuts. Slow and torturous.

I could've sworn Tenn did something like scholly reductions to themselves... why am I thinking this?
We did. In early 2021, after we fired Pruitt, we self-imposed scholarship reductions. I don't remember how many. And it was almost pre-imposed by the fallout from the investigation, because something like 25 scholarship holders walked out the door (or were shown the door) right behind the coaches.

In any case, we did self-impose the penalty of lost scholarships then.

I don't think the NCAA does anything else to the University, other than possibly vacating wins from the record book and imposing a fine. I do think they'll hit Pruitt and some of his assistant coaches (Niedermeyer, in particular) with long show-causes that should keep them out of the college game for the better part of the next decade (and perhaps for life). But for us, for the good guys in orange and white, maybe just vacated wins and a fine (because NCAA coffers always need some juice). Maybe a year or two of meaningless probation.

It would actually be better for our recruiting efforts to speed up the NCAA, get this all sorted and done before the recruiting cycle closes. So no, we're not delaying for the reasons you think.

Reactions: Stephen Gray
If the NCAA does anything worse than what we have done to ourselves (fired coaches, AD, got rid of all players involved, scholarship restrictions), after the NCAA called us the "standard in how investigations and reporting should be done" and being totally transparent with the NCAA.....well then the NCAA just proves that you should hide everything you do and continue to cheat to keep it hidden.

NCAA applauded us for how we managed the entire process....if they nail us now, they will not be having any school work with them ever again....

The NCAA is going to accept the already self imposed penalties and be done. Nothing to worry about.
I can agree with additionally vacating wins, but am find with that...11 wins to vacate over 2 years??? Yeah, totally fine with that.

Reactions: Jeff Clark
If Tennessee does get nailed by the NCAA i think it would be a 1-2 season bowl ban. If that's the case i hope it wouldn't start until the 2023 season.
I am thinking vacating wins....there is no bowl ban...NCAA really went away from that because it was punishing people not involved....

I do not see how they further restrict scholarships...heck, we still are not at full strength, I believe...

Possibly longer probation period? Depending upon the length, I feel that is okay because we have the right people in place now.

Reactions: Stephen Gray
Only thing that make sense would be recruiting and the post season. Don't know what 30 days does for either of those things because I don't know when the extension begins/ends. In 30 days, we will likely know our bowl/playoff situation so that seems most likely in my mind. Recruiting doesn't seem as likely due to the calendar and the fact we "self imposed" during Heupels first year. Maybe a limit on visits? Off campus visits? Either way this is akin to a death by a thousand cuts. Slow and torturous.
Right, it just doesn't make sense to me why they would want to drag this out unless it has something to do with the playoff possibility.

Bowl Game Ban might trigger a lot of transfers

I doubt it... it would trigger a lot of chaos though with VolTwitter

honestly in the world of NIL, I think even some of the media would see what TN did to handle it, and how things are these days, and question why there is even a punishment now

the NCAA has to be careful here too... their days could be numbered with super conference talks

Last edited:
We did. In early 2021, after we fired Pruitt, we self-imposed scholarship reductions. I don't remember how many. And it was almost pre-imposed by the fallout from the investigation, because something like 25 scholarship holders walked out the door (or were shown the door) right behind the coaches.

In any case, we did self-impose the penalty of lost scholarships then.

I don't think the NCAA does anything else to the University, other than possibly vacating wins from the record book and imposing a fine. I do think they'll hit Pruitt and some of his assistant coaches (Niedermeyer, in particular) with long show-causes that should keep them out of the college game for the better part of the next decade (and perhaps for life). But for us, for the good guys in orange and white, maybe just vacated wins and a fine (because NCAA coffers always need some juice). Maybe a year or two of meaningless probation.

It would actually be better for our recruiting efforts to speed up the NCAA, get this all sorted and done before the recruiting cycle closes. So no, we're not delaying for the reasons you think.
Why else would we delay it then? Just respond to their notice and get it over with right?

Reactions: Jeff Clark

VN Store

Back