Tennessee picked 5th in the East by Media

I was thinking the same thing...Until we can beat Vandy and Mizzou which we haven't done in a very long time which is absolutely pathetic then we don't deserve to be ranked higher than what we are...If anything we might be over ranked.
I actually think Missouri will be pretty good again this year with Bryant at QB, which is why I think we are a 7-5 team. Next year is when we should see the big step forward. It’s just where we are in the rebuild.

Reactions: VOLnMiami
Definitely not buying Missouri at 3.

Both the guys at RTI have Mizzou at 2 and FL at 3.

I can live with the current ratings. I would flip TN and SCAR but both are very close to each other.

There are a lot of close matchups that I think we should win but the margin of error is small: BYU, SCAR, MissSt, KY, to name a few. Maybe UAB and Vandy as well.

I would put Mizzou and FL as possible upsets if the stars align. It would be tough to pull those off though.

Last edited:
I don't think their transfer from Clemson is as good as Drew Lock. They Finished 5th in east last year and have to replace their best player at the most important position.

I agree, Bryant isn't as good as Drew Lock but supposedly he is a better fit for Mizzou offense (better scrambler). Mizzou also lost Emanuel Hall who when healthy was a nightmare (he torched us). I think he was hurt for most of their losses. RB Crockett is gone as well. DL had big losses too with Beckner gone.

However, Mizzou does bring back one of the best TEs in the NCAA, Albert Okwuegbunam and RB Larry Rountree.

Mizzou wins 8 minimum, I have them at 9

Oh I don't know: they have to face Ole Miss at home and Arky on the road. OOC games Wyoming, WV, SE Mizzou ST and Troy are formidable.

One good thing is that TN will face Mizzou after they play Georgia and Florida, so maybe they will be worn down.

Exactly why is it bulletin board material? I have UT 4th in the East at 8-4 behind Mizzou 2 and UF 3. Realistically, they are saying UT will improve, UT has won 2 SEC games in two years and 7th, last the last two years.

Why are you taking it as 5th as disrespectful based on previous seasons? Coming off 2-14, expecting to double that 4-4 is big improvement in my eyes, you wouldn’t be happy with 8-4 4-4? UF and Mizzou based on schedule look like 9-3ish teams, possible 10-2. SC is a 9 win team with a 6-6 schedule. Kentucky won’t win 10 again but will make a bowl at 7-5 or 8-4.

GA
MZ
FL
UT
KY
SC
VD

agree with media on the west

So due to one single opponent - Alabama - you're saying that a team ridden with injury on defense and lack of depth in several spots on defense, but still went 7-5 in 2018, is going to go 6-6 at best in 2019 with health, returning veterans and typical nominal improvement that comes for all teams every year? Kentucky is going to have a down year from 2018, but goes to Columbia, SC in 2019 and still wins? And yes, UK has won the last 4-5 including in SC, so that should count, but then Missouri has a 9-3, 10-2 looking schedule, but is 0-3 against USC the last 3 years, but will still win that one too, because, well, USC has won the last 3 there but that doesn't count. Also, Florida pulled a loss out of the fire last year in Gainesville due to USC's pitiful defense, but will win in Columbia, SC in 2019 because of USC's improved and healthier defense?

Man, that Alabama can really wreck a team's season, can it?

As much as I hate it, I think Florida 1st, then Georgia and Missouri. South Carolina behind UK and maybe behind Vandy. Georgia very thin at WR and I think Fromm will struggle to get on the same page with some of the young guys. If he or Swift get hurt they will struggle. Also think SC will quit on Muschamp and it could be a Butch type train wreck.

Yeah they may have to start several of those 5* FR recruits/RS-FR WRs. I wish there was something we could do for them. lol
They may actually be thinner at TE though.

So due to one single opponent - Alabama - you're saying that a team ridden with injury on defense and lack of depth in several spots on defense, but still went 7-5 in 2018, is going to go 6-6 at best in 2019 with health, returning veterans and typical nominal improvement that comes for all teams every year? Kentucky is going to have a down year from 2018, but goes to Columbia, SC in 2019 and still wins? And yes, UK has won the last 4-5 including in SC, so that should count, but then Missouri has a 9-3, 10-2 looking schedule, but is 0-3 against USC the last 3 years, but will still win that one too, because, well, USC has won the last 3 there but that doesn't count. Also, Florida pulled a loss out of the fire last year in Gainesville due to USC's pitiful defense, but will win in Columbia, SC in 2019 because of USC's improved and healthier defense?

Man, that Alabama can really wreck a team's season, can it?
YES

Sorry bro, you’re going 6-6 with that schedule.

We’s Is?

AWWWWW, man! Afford me a bit of levity. Besides, this guy made me do it--

iu

Being picked 5th sounds about right, but will we actually be 5th when it’s all said and done? Time will tell.

This is only bulletin board material for the orange sunglasses wearers. Only thing I would have flipped would be Misdouri and USCjr
You could not possibly have looked at their respective schedules and think that South Carolina is going to finish ahead of Missouri. From the SEC West, South Carolina plays Alabama and @ Texas A&M. Missouri plays Ole Miss and @ Arkansas. Also, South Carolina plays @ Missouri. There couldn't be a bigger discrepancy in the strength of SEC West opponents.

I don't think that South Carolina will even finish ahead of Tennessee.

Reactions: KBVol
You could not possibly have looked at their respective schedules and think that South Carolina is going to finish ahead of Missouri. From the SEC West, South Carolina plays Alabama and @ Texas A&M. Missouri plays Ole Miss and @ Arkansas. Also, South Carolina plays @ Missouri. There couldn't be a bigger discrepancy in the strength of SEC West opponents.

I don't think that South Carolina will even finish ahead of Tennessee.

That's the plan, we play them at Neyland and we need to beat CWM 7 straight to even the score.

Last edited:
I actually think Missouri will be pretty good again this year with Bryant at QB, which is why I think we are a 7-5 team. Next year is when we should see the big step forward. It’s just where we are in the rebuild.
Totally agree...I think Bryant will be a good qb there...He will be more dangerous in that offense...I have been saying 6-6...7-5 tops...I won't be angry with 7-5 and anything beyond that i'll do back flips over.

On paper they should be... and having Ole Miss as their rotating west opponent helps. Mostly though, it will depend on staying motivated. There is no SEC East title or bowl game to play for.

On paper they should be... and having Ole Miss as their rotating west opponent helps. Mostly though, it will depend on staying motivated. There is no SEC East title or bowl game to play for.

Mizzou's bowl game is Nov 29th in Little Rock, Arkansas against the Hogs.

The optimist in me thinks UT competes in the top 3. The realist in me says 4th is the ceiling. And the pessimist in me says we are floating at the bottom with Vandy and KY, our closest rivals. I’m one of these 3 depending on the day of the week.

Accurate and fair. Doesn't mean we will not be a better team, than last season. I believe we beat USC. But, USC finishes higher, by one SEC victory. From 2-6 to 3-5 or 4-4. But, we are in nearly every game, except Bama and UF.

VN Store

Back