Tennessee or Nebraska ?

The SEC and the Big Ten both have 2-3 teams in the top 8-10 teams in the nation, However the SEC has , by far, the most teams in the top 25 and has for a number of years. In fact, The Big Ten has two teams that must be so bad that they do not count them in their Conference Title or they would be titled the big 12, but they can not do that because there is already a Big Twelve. Maybe they should add one more school and change their Title to the Big Thirteen.
Last I checked, the SEC has 4 teams ranked in the top 8 currently.must be a down year

Ugggh.

How many NC's has CJP won?

Answer: Zero

Frost turned an 0-12 UCF team to 14-0 in 2 years. Hmmm. I really wonder if he's a proven head coach. :rolleyes:
Kiffin did the same thing with FAU? He kinda has a little of Pruitt and frost in him. But in reverse order lol

Yet, for some unknown reason, Frost is struggling just as much. Kelly as well. With these proven, winning head coaches, why arent these programs winning?
Honestly I’m shocked by it. Add Taggart to the list. Then there’s Kentucky looking like they could go 11-1. Orgeron too.

Everyone thinks they know these coaches and their abilities but we really don’t know jack.

Reactions: VolNavy01
If Frost remembers Walsh, he'll be OK.

That would be Bill Walsh, his head coach at Stanford before Frost came back to Nebraska. The west coast offense is designed to preserve quarterbacks. The RPO is not.

If he reverts to a system that keeps a quarterback alive through the Bowl Game, he can win. If not, he will always have an excuse.

Last edited:
Much is easier to recruit to Tennessee than Nebraska even though both have tremendous history and faculties. The 4&5 stars want to play in the SEC.
Once UT gets rocking we will get there slit faster than Nebraska. They may muddle in big 10 but we will rock up to top 3-4 in sec once Pruitt gets us in gear. Neb may have some success but we have higher ceiling.

Ugggh.

Frost turned an 0-12 UCF team to 14-0 in 2 years. Hmmm. I really wonder if he's a proven head coach. :rolleyes:

you may want to peel another layer off that onion....UCF had a terrible year in 2015, but OLeary pretty much built that program from scratch, which included a few conference championships....31-9, and a top 10 finish, the three years before that 0-12 season.

Frost is a decent coach, but its not like he took a team that was horrible in multiple years and turned it into a juggernaught.

Reactions: bpalmer28
I definitely think this comes down to recruiting potential. I have mentioned this before but the state of Tennessee is really stepping it up. As the population continues to grow especially around Nashville we are really starting to become a blue chip state. In fact, if you look at these numbers from SB Nation: All 50 states, ranked by their number of elite college football recruits Tennessee has averaged #11 in the nation over the past 5 years in producing blue chip recruits. Nebraska, by comparison, is 39th in the nation in blue chip production. That alone should give Tennessee a very distinct advantage.

Now, if we could get those in state recruits to stay home we are set. As of lately they have been leaving for other schools. I am not sure how Pruitt locks down the state but he has to figure out a way.

Great points. I never really considered the ease of recruiting to Georgia and Alabama over Tennessee, purely geographically. Knoxville isn’t as centrally located in the south as some would think. Memphis is the Tennessee central city of the South (brain teaser). IE FedEx.
Yep. Even though the world is smaller than it ever has been, location still matters a lot. More than people give it credit for. There's a reason FedEx is HQed in Memphis, and there's a reason the world's busiest airport is in Atlanta. I think something like 80% of the population of the United States is within a 2 hour flight of Atlanta. It is by far the largest city in the country that can make that claim. Other centrally-located large cities like Dallas, Houston, and Chicago can't say that, and obviously the large cities on the coasts can't say that.

Knoxville isn't what I'd call remote, not by a long shot, but it isn't the most centrally located southern city. Places like Atlanta, Birmingham, and Memphis are more centrally located, and the most centrally located city in the state of Tennessee relative to the rest of the southeast actually might be Chattanooga.

Well Tennessee has seen a surge of better talent due to population growth, bigger pool of players to choose from. Pruitt needs to get things pointed in the right direction so he has something to sell recruits. Top programs come in here and cherry pick the state right now. Got to stop that from happening.

If Butch can get the 2016 team to 5-0 and #9/11 in the country (finished in the top 20 end of 2015 and 2016), I think that proves just an average head coach can have success at UT. Imagine what a good coach could do here.

I would agree with this.

You just said it was an idiotic take.............anyway, as for Frost, I think he is a fine coach. But it’s a definite wait and see mode with him just as it is with Pruitt. I’m curious as to the other dumpster fire programs Frost has turned around? Also, even though UCF was 0-12 the year prior to Frost taking over, three years prior to that they were 10-4, 12-1(won the 2014 Fiesta Bowl), and 9-4.

If "national prominence" means being a legit contender for the 4-team playoff, the answer is: neither. Too much lost time and ground to the elite, established programs.
Washington went through a period of irrelevance in the early 2000s, even going through an 0-12 season in Willingham's last year. They fell way behind Oregon, Stanford, and even Cal in their division. They recovered and made the playoff a couple of years ago. The right coach can turn a program around.

My point is Frost is struggling because he doesnt have the players. Just like Pruitt. People on here want to blame coaches for everything. Yet, in the case of Frost and Kelly, proven winners, are struggling because they dont have the players.

Tennessee's team talent composite is ranked 13 nationally. Nebraska is 26. So the talent is not comparable. On the other hand, Frost did lose some games he definitely should not have lost. At least you guys beat your cupcakes in ETSU and UTEP. Colorado is ranked 49, Purdue 79, and Troy ... 113!

I am willing to give Frost a longer leash than Pruitt just because of his recent head coaching success, but so far both coaches have done nothing to prove it this year.

Ugggh.

But wait, your caveat is it took two years to turn around a team in a weak conference. Yet, those on here are already writing off our coach less than halfway into his first season. hmmmm. How many National Championships did Scott Frost win before his first head coaching job?

Honestly I’m shocked by it. Add Taggart to the list. Then there’s Kentucky looking like they could go 11-1. Orgeron too.

Everyone thinks they know these coaches and their abilities but we really don’t know jack.
The main similarity in your analysis is this. This teams you mentioned having success have had their coaches in place for more than one half of a year. Many Kentucky fans wanted Stoops fired after both of his first seasons. How many want that now?

Reactions: bpalmer28
Frost had good success at a school that has an easy schedule and beat Auburn at the end of a long year. Not sure I buy the credentials piece until he has the same success at a P5 school.
Exactly ...to me it’s silly comparing UCF to the teams that legitimately played for a NC. Somebody here once said they had to play Memphis twice and that’s the same. Except that same Memphis team lost AT HOME to a 7-5 Iowa State team. Really apples and oranges but JMO of course. And Scott Frost still in my mind has something to prove.

One key difference between the programs.

Nebraska made the hugely bad mistake of leaving their base, trying to embrace a new home. A new home where they fit not well at all.

Mid-westerners, whether from Chicago or St Louis or Detroit or Pittsburgh, think of themselves as old-school and sophisticated. Theyre like the Easterners, just not on the coast. They are too cool, too academically rigorous, too...well, too good...to mingle with the cowboys and farmers west of the Mississippi River. Much less those heathens down in the Southern states.

Out of frustration with Texas (and who wouldn't be?), Nebraska embraced this new region of America. Trouble is, they are the very cowboys and farmers that their new in-laws detest.

You can't recruit kids who don't want dirt under their fingernails, not if you're a Cornhusker.

And you can't recruit the kind of kids who don't mind the dirt and horse smell, because you turned your back on Texas and Oklahoma and Kansas when you left.

Strategic error.

Can one outstanding coach right the ship? Maybe. Is Frost him? Maybe.

Maybe not.

Tennessee will make it back. Eventually. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

I'm not so sure about Nebraska.

VN Store

Back