Tennessee looking to add Lexie Barrier to the staff?

Can Lexi give us this players!!!!! Pretty please!!!!

Attachments

• 42355CA8-BD14-40CC-9DCE-AD079E13EA85.jpeg
    42355CA8-BD14-40CC-9DCE-AD079E13EA85.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 51
I don’t see that it is negative to hope that a new coach with one year of D1 experience would look for assistant coaches with lots of D1 experience. Having said that she did pick up two assistants with good resumes. She obviously sees something in this very young coach so we’ll trust and hope for the best. I personally don’t want to see her repeat Kellie’s mistake of bringing in assistants who did not help her the first couple of years.

Another aspect that I haven't seen mentioned is, you seldom make hires that duplicate the same skillsets, experiences, or strengths that your current staff already has. That could be in the areas of teaching, assessing, recruiting, or people skills.

Who knows what they've learned through this process of evaluating and talking to players in the portal?

Also, I don't know how common this might be in coaching, but in many fields, someone presents or publishes a paper exploring some new technique or idea, and a company or school working along similar lines will snatch them up and add them to their staff or research team.

I don’t see that it is negative to hope that a new coach with one year of D1 experience would look for assistant coaches with lots of D1 experience. Having said that she did pick up two assistants with good resumes. She obviously sees something in this very young coach so we’ll trust and hope for the best. I personally don’t want to see her repeat Kellie’s mistake of bringing in assistants who did not help her the first couple of years.

This board could you use a clear definition of a being negavol. I don't think wondering if something could have been done better or noting a potential problem or flaw makes someone a negavol.

I would suggest that negavolling is always finding the dark cloud to any silver lining and just constant negative carping even after wins and so on.

I could name names but any regular reader of this board knows who fits the negavol type and it certainly is not you.

Last edited:
This board could you use a clear definition of a being negavol. I don't think wondering if something could have been done better or noting a potential flaw makes someone a negavol.
Right on!

For some a negavol is someone who disagrees with them. For others, it's a person whose opinion is more firmly based in reality than, say, WC and his verborrea of “irrational exuberance”.

The message in this latest Lady Vol basketball coaching announcement is once again it proves how desperate some people are to try to find a moment to critique any decision by Coach Caldwell or Tennessee Athletic Dept. due to the tremendous amount of success and the positive impact this hire has generated for the University despite people attempting to sabotage the decision from Day 1.

It is just not catching on and building any sort of credibility at all.

The portal success by Coach Caldwell and her new coaching staff led by two decorated SEC recruiters and assistant coaches put the naysayers perspective on shaky grounds from Day 1.

At the start, folks were saying she would struggle to put together a staff and that has been proven to be ridiculously wrong.

Every assistant has D1 experience and her staff is diverse (which people attempted on social media to put a negative perception on CKC from Day 1 before any announcement was even officially made) with not only successful coaches but a strong male presence as well as female assistants that were collegiate athletes.

I mean one of LSU assistant coaches before coming to the SEC was a DII assistant (not head coach) at Delta State.

These coaches hired by CKC know her system and are familiar with her coaching style/philosophy. Their role is to being an asset to the program which I believe each will be this season.

At this point, anything coming from the Ball Out Media is propaganda.

The sources in my honest opinion need to stop embarrassing themselves with this shameful resentment against Coach Caldwell and Danny White or they should seek some counseling because this is embarrassing.

None of what they are doing is even coming close to making Coach Caldwell or the LV basketball program look bad at this point. It is actually helping the program.

Now the young talented High School prospects are building relationships with the new coaching staff and announcing their offers online with genuine enthusiasm creating more buzz around the program.

You can bet Ball Out will sit their dormant when the HS recruits start to roll in for CKC just as they have for every single portal commitment that Tennessee has gotten this off-season after a recruiting blitz that sent shockwaves through the SEC less than a month in Knoxville.

Ruby choosing Tennessee over LSU after local sportswriters wrote article after article about her anticipating her signing to play in Baton Rouge. And before anyone attempts to say it.. no LSU has not added one player in the portal that was more productive/coveted on collegiate level than LV commit former McDD Ruby Whitehorn.

Samara Spencer former SEC FOY signing in Knoxville. Two athletic and talented P5 forwards signing after visiting the same week of finalizing the new staff.

GBO🍊.

Gary actually coached at Vanderbilt with Shea Ralph before going to SMU then LSU

Man, this place is worse than the football forum and I didn’t think that was possible!

I mean we’re talking about a 4th assistant that CKC after interviewing her thought she would be an asset.

Guess she just wasn’t aware she had all this knowledge available to her right here..

Facts🍊!

What do you call a home run w/ the bases loaded and your designated hitter (Coach Caldwell) up to bat? A grand slam!

Four P5 portal commits in one month under the new staff.. Rocky Top is the Move🍊.

The facts are just the facts nothing fanatical or negaVol minded can stop this momentum.

Tennessee🍊 is back!

Tubner and Lazo should be considered the 2nd and 3rd assistants… they are like Grady from South Carolina and Gary from LSU. She needs a person in the top chair like a Boyer at South Carolina, Bob Starkey at LSU, Stephanie Norman at Louisville, Kate Paye who is now the head coach at Stanford, a Jan Jensen who is now the head coach at Iowa, and like C Dailey at UConn.
I don’t think it matters….. You just need assistant coaches that are organized…. smart…. extremely hard working…. and able to relate to people/players….Starkey and Norman are the only two coaches that had a better resume than Lazo when they joined the current head coaches staff…

Hire is official now, and a few support staffers from Kellie's staff are being retained too. Says so in the link in the tweet.

Is it just me or does it seem like almost every coach on staff "likes to recruit" per the coach at some point. i think CKC is building a small army of recruiters and not making it mostly one person's focus. if so, it definitely widens the scope of targets.

This board could you use a clear definition of a being negavol. I don't think wondering if something could have been done better or noting a potential problem or flaw makes someone a negavol.

I would suggest that negavolling is always finding the dark cloud to any silver lining and just constant negative carping even after wins and so on.

I could name names but any regular reader of this board knows who fits the negavol type and it certainly is not you.
Example: Those who supported keeping Kellie on board for another 1-3 years, struggled for weeks with the hiring of Caldwell. They cast blame on DW and his decision to move on because they didn’t want to be wrong. They would rather the program suffer than admit they were wrong. Resulting in being labeled a NegaVol.

Example: Posting as the board insider and belittling other posters with constant talks of superior finances that buys insight. To only be cast aside when given false information. Resulting in changing name to from first name to Former Lady Vols Fan….NegaVol

Is it just me or does it seem like almost every coach on staff "likes to recruit" per the coach at some point. i think CKC is building a small army of recruiters and not making it mostly one person's focus. if so, it definitely widens the scope of targets.

If we think about how much everything has changed even in the last decade, recruiting stopped being something a head coach could depend on one, maybe two, gifted recruiter(s) to handle a relatively regimented task.

Now that there’s social media, sponsorships, and now the portal and bidding wars, every person on staff pretty much better be capable of handling at least some recruiting responsibility.

It’s just too huge a job that requires skills the old-school great recruiters like DeMoss did not have to have.

Now is both the best and the worst time to be a college coach. Glad I’m not doing it! With my mild OCD issues I’d be a total nutcase right now. (I mean, a bigger one than I already am) 😂

Probably a necessity now with the portal.

Not only is recruiting 24/7/365, you've now got to be scouting, tracking, and potentially recruiting every good player from 8th grade through senior year of college!

Designing, maintaining, and utilizing such a database is an AI-worthy task.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Example: Those who supported keeping Kellie on board for another 1-3 years, struggled for weeks with the hiring of Caldwell. They cast blame on DW and his decision to move on because they didn’t want to be wrong. They would rather the program suffer than admit they were wrong. Resulting in being labeled a NegaVol.

Example: Posting as the board insider and belittling other posters with constant talks of superior finances that buys insight. To only be cast aside when given false information. Resulting in changing name to from first name to Former Lady Vols Fan….NegaVol
Those two examples obviously don't count.

is a widen scope of targets needed? I would think at our school it is needed. Maybe needed at Austin Peay or Chat State or Chattanooga.

If we think about how much everything has changed even in the last decade, recruiting stopped being something a head coach could depend on one, maybe two, gifted recruiter(s) to handle a relatively regimented task.

Now that there’s social media, sponsorships, and now the portal and bidding wars, every person on staff pretty much better be capable of handling at least some recruiting responsibility.

It’s just too huge a job that requires skills the old-school great recruiters like DeMoss did not have to have.

Now is both the best and the worst time to be a college coach. Glad I’m not doing it! With my mild OCD issues I’d be a total nutcase right now. (I mean, a bigger one than I already am) 😂
With power 5 schools having to start revenue sharing (paying) athletes in 2025, the complexities of NIL may look like the good ole days of comparative simplicity.

Thamel: It's a new day for college sports, but the future remains unclear

Very concerned about the Olympic sports and what this means for Title IX.
It seems pretty likely, if not inevitable, that a lot of non-revenue sports will be dropped by many of these programs. It is hard to see how this change will play out well for women's sports with the possible exception of basketball.

Once these dominoes start falling, it is also hard to see where it might stop.

Since athletes are now going to be employees of the school, why even have the pretense of requiring them to be student-athletes? If athletes just want to play football or basketball, why should they not be able to ply their trade at schools who are willing to pay for the services?

That seems like an almost inescapable step in the professionalization of college sports.

Perhaps schools will still probably offer scholarships to top prospects due to recruiting competition but if someone does not want the academic stresses, that saves a program some $ and allows great athletes who are not academically inclined to compete and earn income.

I wonder what ramifications this change will have on eligibility requirements,. What if LeBron decides he wants to play a few seasons for the U of Ohio? He technically would have all of his college eligibility and he was only precluded from playing college ball by his professional status. Now that the amateur-pro distinction is gone, what stops such a scenario from playing out or perhaps more realistically, what about a "one and done" player who wants to come back after washing out in the pros?

Last edited:

So, a negavol is like a Debbie Downer. They only have negative things to say and those things are purely opinion. A negavol is someone who is always picked last for teams because can you imagine the black cloud over the team he’s on? Imagine a teammate who says before and during every game, “We’re not going to win. Impossible. We might as well not even play.”

VN Store

Back