Tennessee Lady Vol News

I've always liked Maria; her article about the recruitment of Chamique Holdsclaw, which included Coach Summitt's New York visit and washing dishes with Chamique's grandmother, is a personal favorite sports story.

But, I'm not sure whether these "previous interest" mentions do more harm than good to the recent staff's image.
On the one hand, Ruby once visited, but chose another school, and so, a recruiting miss?
On the other hand, well, here she is. Go, Kim!
Love your posts Krich, but the only visit mentioned in the article was that Ruby was coming to visit TN on the day that DW let our Coach go, so not a recruiting miss by our staff and picking another school. Do not know if she visited any time prior to this year.

I do not think we will hockey shift sub. Repeat....I do not think we will hockey shift sub. But looking at the roster, I think this is our top 10 in two groups based on position.

1-Spencer
2-Jewell
3-Whitehorn
4-Latham
5-Spearman

1-Wells
2-Cooper
3-Darby
4-Puckett
5-Hollingshed

Then you still have Wynn, Strickland, Boyd. That is a deep roster.

Love your posts Krich, but the only visit mentioned in the article was that Ruby was coming to visit TN on the day that DW let our Coach go, so not a recruiting miss by our staff and picking another school. Do not know if she visited any time prior to this year.

Yeah, obviously Ruby was interested in Tennessee under Harper, too, and of COURSE she canceled her visit when she did. I'm sure Kellie called Ruby to tell her what had happened before any of us knew so she and her family could adjust appropriately. Can you imagine the utter failure that visit would have been if she'd decided to do it, anyway? (Not that anyone has ever suggested she should have! 😲) Our players were probably all over the place, crying and upset and maybe angry. The staff was obviously upset and not in the greatest mental/emotional place to be hosting a recruit who's looking to see what the environment is like at Tennessee. Mercy! 🤯

Ruby has obviously liked Tennessee for a good while, and I am grateful to the Harper staff for well planting that seed within her. Once the dust settled and Whitehorn and her family saw the excitement going on under Caldwell, and that they were successfully landing some high quality players themselves, she made the wise decision that Tennessee is STILL a great place to be. But she'd already had a pretty good idea of that.

It must have been a really wonderful time and series of feelings that came up in the Whitehorn family when they realized that the firing of the Harpers was something the great Tennessee could handle and move on from in a way that everyone can be encouraged by and feel excited for the future still.

Smart family, and we're glad to have all of our latest Lady Vols in orange. I wish we could speed up time and be close to the season starting already, 'cause I'm ready to goooo!

It doesn’t matter one way or another what she writes to the new staff. They’re gonna do their own thing and Maria isn’t part of that.

Maria was a lackey Pat kept around like a special pet. Successful people often do that with people who are marginalized in some way. Unfortunately that went to Maria’s weird noggin and she thinks she’s much more important to the program than she ever has been.

I don’t see this staff playing any special treatment games with media. They seem to have done a great job connecting with tons of media, not just the 3 people in Knoxville who cover the lady vols.

That’s a good thing, it broadens our next and expands or promotion to people that wouldn’t normally see it.

Adam’s seems like he’s probably been told to take a hike already since he’s doom and gloom. Maria seems not to have any info and ended up with egg on her face 3-4 times posting things from the previous camp that she thought would hold true with the new staff.

Cora is just a reporter and does a decent job generally. She’s at least objective and prepared.
Perfection

Yeah, obviously Ruby was interested in Tennessee under Harper, too, and of COURSE she canceled her visit when she did. I'm sure Kellie called Ruby to tell her what had happened before any of us knew so she and her family could adjust appropriately. Can you imagine the utter failure that visit would have been if she'd decided to do it, anyway? (Not that anyone has ever suggested she should have! 😲) Our players were probably all over the place, crying and upset and maybe angry. The staff was obviously upset and not in the greatest mental/emotional place to be hosting a recruit who's looking to see what the environment is like at Tennessee. Mercy! 🤯

Ruby has obviously liked Tennessee for a good while, and I am grateful to the Harper staff for well planting that seed within her. Once the dust settled and Whitehorn and her family saw the excitement going on under Caldwell, and that they were successfully landing some high quality players themselves, she made the wise decision that Tennessee is STILL a great place to be. But she'd already had a pretty good idea of that.

It must have been a really wonderful time and series of feelings that came up in the Whitehorn family when they realized that the firing of the Harpers was something the great Tennessee could handle and move on from in a way that everyone can be encouraged by and feel excited for the future still.

Smart family, and we're glad to have all of our latest Lady Vols in orange. I wish we could speed up time and be close to the season starting already, 'cause I'm ready to goooo!
Yes! People keep getting up in arms about these mentions of previously scheduled visits when, if anything, it’s a testament to the program that players were interested in signing here independent of coach. The program should be bigger than any coach.

I do not think we will hockey shift sub. Repeat....I do not think we will hockey shift sub. But looking at the roster, I think this is our top 10 in two groups based on position.

1-Spencer
2-Jewell
3-Whitehorn
4-Latham
5-Spearman

1-Wells
2-Cooper
3-Darby
4-Puckett
5-Hollingshed

Thanks! I was just looking for something like this. Is there a thread for the '24 projected lineup or maybe there should be. Is the roster now full/complete?

Reactions: therickbol
I do not think there is a thread dedicated to it. The roster has room to add one more player. I think with our roster it might be hard to add anyone that would be immediate impact.

1-Spencer
2-Jewell
3-Whitehorn
4-Latham
5-Spearman

1-Wells
2-Cooper
3-Darby
4-Puckett
5-Hollingshed

Nice look at the depth.

I think Strickland will pass Darby this offseason given the emphasis on speed.

Reactions: brittannica
Not shocking that in her first breath she had to mention Whitehorn was scheduled to visit with the previous staff.

Maria is predictable, if nothing else.

Glad Ruby is a Lady Vol, all credit to our current coaching staff for putting together what is shaping up to be a fabulous roster that matches the clear vision they have laid out for fans. They aren’t just blowing hot air, they are out there getting it done.
This was a news article and the fact that Ruby had interest in UT before the new staff was hired is just part of the story. Including that in the article was very reasonable. Actually, not including it would have really been a strange omission.
Not every positive mention of Kellie, her staff or her players is an affront to CKC.

So we have to play LSU twice next year? I thought it was Vandy.
Honestly, that is a pretty favorable SEC schedule for us. We get some of the better teams like Ole Miss, Auburn, Bama, SC, Miss State, LSU, and Oklahoma at home. Travel to prolly some of bottom teams like Missouri, Arkansas, AM, and Florida. Vandy away is practically a home game most years. Only KY, Texas, and LSU seem concerning on the road.

This was a news article and the fact that Ruby had interest in UT before the new staff was hired is just part of the story. Including that in the article was very reasonable. Actually, not including it would have really been a strange omission.
Not every positive mention of Kellie, her staff or her players is an affront to CKC.

How would excluding that have been odd? I would have been totally fine to skip over that part. All it served to do was remind people, again, that Kellie was fired.

She could have just written a nice article about Ruby’s recruitment and commitment by THIS staff but instead she felt a need to bring up her past visit when she did not commit out of HS (and chose Clemson of all places over UT).

How would excluding that have been odd? I would have been totally fine to skip over that part. All it served to do was remind people, again, that Kellie was fired.

She could have just written a nice article about Ruby’s recruitment and commitment by THIS staff but instead she felt a need to bring up her past visit when she did not commit out of HS (and chose Clemson of all places over UT).
That is not what the article says. It’s talking about the scheduled visit on 4/1/24.

According to this, Ruby Whitehorn never visited, and was never offered by Tennessee when she was a high school player.

No need to diminish the previous staff or anything that happened before. The new staff is doing good work, they don't need the defensive stance.

The story of Ruby's almost visit is too good not to lead with, whatever Maria's agenda may be. I'll bet we hear it every single time they play next year. We all could see Maria was no favorite of KJH, who barely bothered to hide it, esp toward the end. Not like they laid out the red carpet for her. I think Maria is actually a Holly fan.

To me, re-recruitment may be even harder, bc now the recruit is a little butthurt that the coaches she liked got fired. They probably have a little edge to them regarding the new guys, so winning them over again is a good accomplishment. Hope it works with Nyla.
Nyla is good but family is too loud

Which one of you 😂

Not shocking. Probably former lady vol fan Earl. That’s his kind of language and vitriol right there.

For the life of me I can’t see what they liked so much about what was going on. Still the only thing I can come up with is they liked how the staff made THEM feel special. They are fans of themselves, not of the Lady Vol basketball program. Or, like most of us, they would have been glad to see the Harper’s get their walking papers.

I for one was very tired of watching mediocre basketball and listening to Kellie say “we will learn from this.”

VN Store

Back