Tennessee Lady Vol News

I agree with this part.
If this venture truly is a catastrophe I wouldn't be surprised at all if it is a one and done.

And if it is by design, by DW, it is really quite brilliant, in that by hiring a non-D1 recognized elite coach, he has opened the door to go outside of the Tennessee tree and spend big money on a "named coach".

He opened the door to do so by putting a clause in the contract for the next Lady Vols basketball coach before he knew the person to whom he would offer that contract. That contract clause chosen by the Tennessee athletics director offers the opportunity to become the highest-paid coach in the country by winning a national title.

By doing this he has more or less given himself permission and by proxy, the TN fanbase, to spend the highest dollar to get a Nationally competitive coach.
For sure he will have earned the right to expect any fan openly calling for a one and done to man or woman up and kick in a minimum of 100k to offset the buyout. He might consider soiling his reputation if the change is cost neutral UNLESS he has expressed other guarantees to her, contract language not withstanding.

Odds are real long. Any A list replacement would demand world class guarantees in THEIR contract after a one year stint.

She is going to get a pretty long leash unless (it won’t be) it’s just a disastrous first 3 seasons. AD’s give their own hires time to put it together
She's not missing the tournament twice and getting a third year. No way no how. Miss first year she's has to make the tournament her second year .

I agree with this part.
If this venture truly is a catastrophe I wouldn't be surprised at all if it is a one and done.

And if it is by design, by DW, it is really quite brilliant, in that by hiring a non-D1 recognized elite coach, he has opened the door to go outside of the Tennessee tree and spend big money on a "named coach".

He opened the door to do so by putting a clause in the contract for the next Lady Vols basketball coach before he knew the person to whom he would offer that contract. That contract clause chosen by the Tennessee athletics director offers the opportunity to become the highest-paid coach in the country by winning a national title.

By doing this he has more or less given himself permission and by proxy, the TN fanbase, to spend the highest dollar to get a Nationally competitive coach.
That is an interesting take. I agree with all of this. I am hoping it is not and that Caldwell comes in and does at least what Kellie did her first year and that is finish much higher in the SEC than expected. I think they originally had Kellie at 7-8 in the SEC and that first team finished in 3rd. This lady Vol team has some players that I think will surprise some people this year. Caldwell just needs to put them in a position to succeed.

I agree with this part.

I have no concerns of this venture being a "dumpster fire season"... in fact, the opposite...We're gonna surprise a lot of teams

Let's look at our newcomers to the team, including the two who were enrolled but couldn't be on the court until next season. All seem to fit perfectly with Coach Caldwell's system of supreme athletes that value defense and rebounding. The best thing about them is that all except Spencer have at least two more years to play as LVs. Here are a couple of accolades for each player:
1. Ruby Whitehorn - Top 15 recruit, McDonald's High School All American, and ACC All Freshmen Team.
2. Lazaria Sperman - #30 high school recruit, highest FG % for ACC Freshmen, 6 RB in 18 min per game- Soph.
3. Samara Spencer - SEC Freshman Player of the year including 4 freshmen of the week as well as shooting
34.5% 3 - point shots. As a Junior, lead scorer, 4.5 assists in SEC games, and 4 defensive rebounds per game.
4. Alyssa Latham - ACC All Freshman Team including 7 rebounds a game!
5. Talasyia Cooper - # 16 high school recruit, McDonald's All American (and great performance in game)..
6. Kinaya Boyd - #29 high school recruit until injury (fell to #35), averaged 3.4 steals a game in high school.

I know each of these players have their flaws too, but I can't co-sign on the media narrative that we aren't adding much to our team this year. Clearly, that is not the case.

Not shocking that in her first breath she had to mention Whitehorn was scheduled to visit with the previous staff.

Maria is predictable, if nothing else.

Glad Ruby is a Lady Vol, all credit to our current coaching staff for putting together what is shaping up to be a fabulous roster that matches the clear vision they have laid out for fans. They aren’t just blowing hot air, they are out there getting it done.

Not shocking that in her first breath she had to mention Whitehorn was scheduled to visit with the previous staff.

Glad Ruby is a Lady Vol, all credit to our current coaching staff for putting together what is shaping up to be a fabulous roster that matches the clear vision they have laid out for fans. They aren’t just blowing hot air, they are out there getting it done.
3 of the 4 were "of interest" by Coach Sam...But that staff is no longer here and the credit absolutely goes to Coach Kim and staff...Did the prior staff coax the players that were here to stay here? Are the ones who stayed here because of the prior staff

Maria needs to adjust her direction or she will be the canker John Adams has become

3 of the 4 were "of interest" by Coach Sam...But that staff is no longer here and the credit absolutely goes to Coach Kim and staff...Did the prior staff coax the players that were here to stay here? Are the ones who stayed here because of the prior staff

Maria needs to adjust her direction or she will be the canker John Adams has become
I can completely tell you.. that Sam had nothing to do with this!!!!

Maria needs to get on board with this new staff!!!

Reactions: jeebie
Maria needs to get on board with this new staff!!!

She isn’t going to because they aren’t going to feed her insider information she can charge people for.

Her days of wandering around the UT WBB offices are over. If she’s going to continue in journalism she’s going to actually have to do some work. Kim isn’t interested in having her write puff pieces for the program, guarantee you that.

No need to diminish the previous staff or anything that happened before. The new staff is doing good work, they don't need the defensive stance.

The story of Ruby's almost visit is too good not to lead with, whatever Maria's agenda may be. I'll bet we hear it every single time they play next year. We all could see Maria was no favorite of KJH, who barely bothered to hide it, esp toward the end. Not like they laid out the red carpet for her. I think Maria is actually a Holly fan.

To me, re-recruitment may be even harder, bc now the recruit is a little butthurt that the coaches she liked got fired. They probably have a little edge to them regarding the new guys, so winning them over again is a good accomplishment. Hope it works with Nyla.

I've always liked Maria; her article about the recruitment of Chamique Holdsclaw, which included Coach Summitt's New York visit and washing dishes with Chamique's grandmother, is a personal favorite sports story.

But, I'm not sure whether these "previous interest" mentions do more harm than good to the recent staff's image.
On the one hand, Ruby once visited, but chose another school, and so, a recruiting miss?
On the other hand, well, here she is. Go, Kim!

I've always liked Maria; her article about the recruitment of Chamique Holdsclaw, which included Coach Summitt's New York visit and washing dishes with Chamique's grandmother, is a personal favorite sports story.

But, I'm not sure whether these "previous interest" mentions do more harm than good to the recent staff's image.
On the one hand, Ruby once visited, but chose another school, and so, a recruiting miss?

I don’t think anyone from Iowa leaves. Maybe one of their posts buried on the bench but not likely they lose any meaningful players. They have a great program and I wouldn’t be shocked if Lucy O was told during her recruitment this was going to happen.

It doesn’t matter one way or another what she writes to the new staff. They’re gonna do their own thing and Maria isn’t part of that.

Maria was a lackey Pat kept around like a special pet. Successful people often do that with people who are marginalized in some way. Unfortunately that went to Maria’s weird noggin and she thinks she’s much more important to the program than she ever has been.

I don’t see this staff playing any special treatment games with media. They seem to have done a great job connecting with tons of media, not just the 3 people in Knoxville who cover the lady vols.

That’s a good thing, it broadens our next and expands or promotion to people that wouldn’t normally see it.

Adam’s seems like he’s probably been told to take a hike already since he’s doom and gloom. Maria seems not to have any info and ended up with egg on her face 3-4 times posting things from the previous camp that she thought would hold true with the new staff.

Cora is just a reporter and does a decent job generally. She’s at least objective and prepared.

VN Store

Back