Tennessee Lady Vol News

I think where the big situation comes in for players and playing time is at the three and four where we have Jackson, Suarez, Pissott, Puckett, Striplin, Darby and Franklin and possibly even Horston even though I expect her to play a lot at the two. That is seven players vying for time at two positions. I think I feel fairly confident that it will be Key and Hollingshead at the five and Powell, Miles, and maybe some Walker at the point. I think we may see Walker moving to the two where she will be in competition with Wynn and Horston more than likely.

All the girls that were already here look physically fit and much improved over their last season. If Franklin is totally recovered from her ACL going to be hard to keep her out of the lineup. Jackson, Horston, Powell, and Key are givens and Puckett seems to be the sixth man with Walker possibly starting at the two just because she is experienced and a starter last season. Miles is going to backup the point and Hollingshead the five so there are nine players. Suarez, Striplin, Darby, Wynn, and Pissott seem to be the five on the outside that will be vying for any additional minutes. That is just the way it looks right now we could have some surprises for sure. Whomever ends up on the bench will be purely because of numbers at certain positions because all these girls have developed into confident and excellent basketball players going into this next season.

The ability to have the depth to exhaust and fatigue most teams seems evident to me. This is the most quality depth I've seen on a Tennessee team in years.

If I'm Kellie, I would absolutely run opponents into the ground with full court pressure, and a very uptempo halfcourt offense and defense with frequent substitutions, always keeping fresh players in there as the opponent fights fatigue. I think she has enough replaceable parts to do that without sacrificing quality of play. I could see her using twelve or more for the very points you bring up - so many quality player possibilities at so many positions. We have three, maybe four who can play the 5, and so many who can play the 4 and the 3 - as you mentioned - and four or five possible PG's and so many who can play the 2.

If I'm Kellie, I would absolutely run opponents into the ground with full court pressure, and a very uptempo halfcourt offense and defense with frequent substitutions, always keeping fresh players in there as the opponent fights fatigue. I think she has enough replaceable parts to do that without sacrificing quality of play. I could see her using twelve or more for the very points you bring up - so many quality player possibilities at so many positions. We have three, maybe four who can play the 5, and so many who can play the 4 and the 3 - as you mentioned - and four or five possible PG's and so many who can play the 2.
I honestly think that Kellie will go back to the Style of Play that her teams played in her playing days at Tennessee. That was a suffocating full-court pressing defense with a high-tempo running offense off of every defensive rebound or steal and getting to the paint to score. She has the pieces to do that with some really good overall team speed and athleticism.

That is possibly one reason Coach Kellie wanted little Edie Darby...The little lady has some fast wheels....She will be great on the full course press...And if left unguarded, she can shoot the outside shot......

Darby_Edie.jpg

Marta looks to have slim down a lot.
I've seen some posts say she will fight for minutes i say she will be a major core player she's too multi faceted with the3,midrange and she can post up i think injuries plus being out of shape because of it has slowed her down. just have a feeling she will break out we shall see

So I don’t know how to provide the link but interesting article in WSJ on the declining number of girls playing high school basketball.
Top high school programs are still attracting players but lower tier schools are really struggling. Discusses impact of kids “specializing” in one sport earlier, increasing popularity of other sports like volleyball, soccer (my family experience also says lacrosse) and girls not liking the physicality of basketball.
If someone could provide the link I think our forum would find it interesting. Sorry for my lack of expertise in this area🫤.

Reactions: krichunaka
So I don’t know how to provide the link but interesting article in WSJ on the declining number of girls playing high school basketball.
Top high school programs are still attracting players but lower tier schools are really struggling. Discusses impact of kids “specializing” in one sport earlier, increasing popularity of other sports like volleyball, soccer (my family experience also says lacrosse) and girls not liking the physicality of basketball.
If someone could provide the link I think our forum would find it interesting. Sorry for my lack of expertise in this area🫤.
I read that article this morning. Participation has been declining for quite some time. It's not just a recent phenomenon.
Girls Are Leaving High School Basketball, and Here’s Why

Reactions: Lucy
I couldn't read the article because it required membership but I found the timing interesting. Just last night my daughter said she wanted to give up softball to focus on basketball. She said softball just doesn't have the physicality that gets her blood going. I hate to see her not continue in one sport, but I must say being a multi-sport athlete is tough. I had played three sports in high school and when seasons run together, you can really spread yourself thin. I hope the numbers for women's basketball will turn around. I really do enjoy watching the game.

Since 2002, participation in girls basketball, on the high school level, is down 19%. The biggest gainers during that period is girls volleyball, up 15%, and soccer, up 27 %

As a girls basketball coach over the last 6 years, I have encountered this specific reasoning for a few athletes. Volleyball and softball provide "separation" between the players on each team. Basketball is physical. Some girls do not like that aspect. Plus it's just more complex with variables and decision-making.

Since 2002, participation in girls basketball, on the high school level, is down 19%. The biggest gainers during that period is girls volleyball, up 15%, and soccer, up 27 %

Is there a correlation between the number of players on the field/court for each sport? It is interesting also that one of those on the uptick has the most liberal substitution rules and the other among the most stringent. I admire anybody who gives their all in pursuit of any game or event. I can also see getting out of one sport to pursue one your skill set is better suited for. The fact that the one that probably has the highest percentage rate of participation starting in youth leagues also experiences the highest percentage of losses. Wonder if they shared the breakdown of average game/match participation of those leaving each sport.

I think where the big situation comes in for players and playing time is at the three and four where we have Jackson, Suarez, Pissott, Puckett, Striplin, Darby and Franklin and possibly even Horston even though I expect her to play a lot at the two. That is seven players vying for time at two positions. I think I feel fairly confident that it will be Key and Hollingshead at the five and Powell, Miles, and maybe some Walker at the point. I think we may see Walker moving to the two where she will be in competition with Wynn and Horston more than likely.

All the girls that were already here look physically fit and much improved over their last season. If Franklin is totally recovered from her ACL going to be hard to keep her out of the lineup. Jackson, Horston, Powell, and Key are givens and Puckett seems to be the sixth man with Walker possibly starting at the two just because she is experienced and a starter last season. Miles is going to backup the point and Hollingshead the five so there are nine players. Suarez, Striplin, Darby, Wynn, and Pissott seem to be the five on the outside that will be vying for any additional minutes. That is just the way it looks right now we could have some surprises for sure. Whomever ends up on the bench will be purely because of numbers at certain positions because all these girls have developed into confident and excellent basketball players going into this next season.

The ability to have the depth to exhaust and fatigue most teams seems evident to me. This is the most quality depth I've seen on a Tennessee team in years.
I think Puckett could play some 5 too in a pinch.

VN Store

Back