Tennessee Lady Vol News

shhh...why unwrap a present and then not open the box?

Rae is healthy and excited about the season.
Let her and the Sparks open the box if they so desire.
I'm sure Rae would appreciate that.
That's how the moderator for the group gave it in the forum and that person is tuned in

Not to get back to basketball, but I realized Coach Harper will need to have a "gritty" conversation with our girls early in the season.

May go like this:
Coach Harper calls time out... breaking from her tradition of ending the game with three unused. TK has just missed a "gimme" with five minutes to go in the second quarter... with the Lady Vols up by 30 points.

Coach Harper: TK, you are going to mess up your 90% shooting average if you don't get focused. So, here is how I want to finished the quarter. If your name don't start with a "J" don't shoot the ball. Everyone clear?

Rickea Jackson: Coach are you talking about your Christian name or last name?

Coach Harper: RJ, I haven't slept in days trying to come up with nick names for everyone whoes name starts with a "J."
Let's just ride! Go Lady Vols.

Uhh, because the NCAA says so? Here's the bylaw regarding recruiting considerations. They only have 2 weeks of recruiting shutdown a year, in May and August. Maybe the coaching staffs need a break.
Legislative Services Database - LSDBi
And a link to the actual calendar.
Division I and II Recruiting Calendars and Guides
But why though?! lol. I get that it's NCAA-wide, and I get the idea of recruitment freezes, but one week twice a year seems pretty useless and arbitrary, idk.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Lots of reasons: end of school for colleges and high schools (preparing for final exams); everyone is tired; coaches able to meet as a staff to assess things and prepare for summer and next year plans. I actually think it should be 2 or 3 weeks.
Longer recruiting shutdowns make more sense to me too.

I profess ignorance in understanding "dead period" as different from "recruitment shutdown." Is the shutdown for the benefit of the student-athletes to-be to complete their school responsibilities. Does it mean that Musk is required to deny Twitter access to all athletes for the week?

I think it's an excellent move by Samantha to put out a graphic blast announcing the dead period so that players, in case they don't know the rules, understand that Tennessee isn't going to be out of contact for no reason. They have no choice as a program that follows the rules. And that puts less scrupulous coaches on blast, too, as being cheaters if those same players DO hear from them during the no-contact period.

Can anyone explain the rationale for having a one-week recruitment shutdown?
Typically it is a vacation week for the coaches. Recruiting is a 24/7 process. The NCAA shuts down for one week where no coach is allowed to contact any recruit in any fashion. This gives coaches some R&R before the big summer push. My guess is KJH takes 3 days off and then spends 4 days in tactical planning for the next 3 months. :)

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Typically it is a vacation week for the coaches. Recruiting is a 24/7 process. The NCAA shuts down for one week where no coach is allowed to contact any recruit in any fashion. This gives coaches some R&R before the big summer push. My guess is KJH takes 3 days off and then spends 4 days in tactical planning for the next 3 months. :)

My guess is she takes a vacation. Kellie loves a good vacation and has it written in her contract that she gets use of the plane for at least a couple personal trips a year. She’s spoken about maintaining work/life balance before and has proven she can do it and do it well.

My guess is she takes a vacation. Kellie loves a good vacation and has it written in her contract that she gets use of the plane for at least a couple personal trips a year. She’s spoken about maintaining work/life balance before and has proven she can do it and do it well.
She will be in Memphis tonight!!!

VN Store

Back