Tennessee Lady Vol News

I've said it before on a number of occasions, but I feel like folks' expectations for Tennessee's post game are not reflective of what the Lady Vols have had on their roster in recent seasons. It's like they expect every player to be a Gwen Jackson or Bashaara Graves or whatever - or like Izzy Harrison who spent two years getting it together before dominating her last two years. It's not always going to go like that. Not every player blows up from 5 points a game to 15. Being realistic about what players can do is important, and knowing what a player can bring to the table is vital to knowing what to expect from their play on the court. Or expectations. I don't know. Bah. The metaphor got messy there are the end. But point is, right now Tennessee's roster is thin at F and C. It has been thin for a while. It will be interested to see how Harper plans around that this season.

Rant aside, I think the X-factor is Keyen Green. 20 minutes, 8 points, and 8 rebounds a game. If she can do that, it would do wonders for Tennessee inside. If she can do more than that, it would be even better. I have no idea what her status is though. So. We'll know soon enough.

I've said it before on a number of occasions, but I feel like folks' expectations for Tennessee's post game are not reflective of what the Lady Vols have had on their roster in recent seasons. It's like they expect every player to be a Gwen Jackson or Bashaara Graves or whatever - or like Izzy Harrison who spent two years getting it together before dominating her last two years. It's not always going to go like that. Not every player blows up from 5 points a game to 15. Being realistic about what players can do is important, and knowing what a player can bring to the table is vital to knowing what to expect from their play on the court. Or expectations. I don't know. Bah. The metaphor got messy there are the end. But point is, right now Tennessee's roster is thin at F and C. It has been thin for a while. It will be interested to see how Harper plans around that this season.

Rant aside, I think the X-factor is Keyen Green. 20 minutes, 8 points, and 8 rebounds a game. If she can do that, it would do wonders for Tennessee inside. If she can do more than that, it would be even better. I have no idea what her status is though. So. We'll know soon enough.

What about Alexus Dye? I think she and Keyen could prolly give you 14 and 10 from that position and that’s not mentioning the points Karoline Striplin will bring

Tamari and Emily both need a little meanness in their game....It hasn't appeared, so far...Their personalities are not real aggressive...
I think Tamari is a bit like ONO. Lots of talent and length but not showing the aggressiveness necessary to dominate. They both have never had to fight for their minutes because they were the only option. they are going to start and play as much as endurance and fouls allow because they are the only option.

I'm inclined to bring no assumptions about our players into this season from the past. Last season was covid, this season will be different and better on that score. We've had coaching turn-over and that could lead to better player offseason development. We have a head coach who appears to be getting more comfortable in the role. And we have a good class of incoming freshmen, many who are poised to contribute right away, creating additional competition for minutes. All those factors tell me not to sleep on any of our players.

My PPG/RPG prediction for 2021 season.

Name PPG / RPG
Brooklynn Miles 1.3 / .3
Sara Puckett 6.4 / 2
Alexus Dye 6.2 / 7.3
Jordan Walker 5.4 / 3
Kaiya Wynn. 6.1 / 2.7
Jessie Rennie 3.1 / .5
Karoline Striplin 5.5 / 7
Rae Burrell 15.6 / 5
Keyen Green 4.1 / 6.1
Tamari Key. 12.9 / 10
Tess Darby 2.9 / 1
Jordan Horston 14.8 / 3.4
Emily Saunders 3.9 / 3.7
Marta Suárez 6.9 / 3.6

Seems high overall but more realistic for individuals.
Last year the team averaged 71.9 points per game.
Because it's highly unlikely that everyone on the roster plays in every game, the sum of the players individual averages will exceed the team's game average.
Last year's sum of individual averages was about 12 points higher than the team's game average.

Reactions: Rickster

Name PPG / RPG
Brooklynn Miles 1.3 / .3
Sara Puckett 6.4 / 2
Alexus Dye 6.2 / 7.3
Jordan Walker 5.4 / 3
Kaiya Wynn. 6.1 / 2.7
Jessie Rennie 3.1 / .5
Rae Burrell 15.6 / 5
Keyen Green 4.1 / 6.1
Tamari Key. 12.9 / 10
Tess Darby 2.9 / 1
Emily Saunders 3.9 / 3.7
Marta Suárez 6.9 / 3.6

Rickster my friend, you are off on KS......By the 4th game this girl will be at, or near, double offensive points per game....

Coach Kellie will see she is a difference maker and will design plays for her to dominate from the four position.....Hell, she could float out to the Justine line and bomb 3 balls all night long.

The girl came here to make a difference.....She will do just that.
9644675.jpg

Name PPG / RPG
Brooklynn Miles 1.3 / .3
Sara Puckett 6.4 / 2
Alexus Dye 6.2 / 7.3
Jordan Walker 5.4 / 3
Kaiya Wynn. 6.1 / 2.7
Jessie Rennie 3.1 / .5
Rae Burrell 15.6 / 5
Keyen Green 4.1 / 6.1
Tamari Key. 12.9 / 10
Tess Darby 2.9 / 1
Emily Saunders 3.9 / 3.7
Marta Suárez 6.9 / 3.6

Burrell & Dye will average more points but everyone else will likely avg fewer. There’s no way we’re going to increase scoring avg over 20 points from last season. Not sure why you’d make such an unrealistic post but I guess you need something to do since there’s no basketball.

Reactions: Darth_Vol
Burrell & Dye will average more points but everyone else will likely avg fewer. There’s no way we’re going to increase scoring avg over 20 points from last season. Not sure why you’d make such an unrealistic post but I guess you need something to do since there’s no basketball.

Last year the team averaged 71.9 points per game.
Because it's highly unlikely that everyone on the roster plays in every game, the sum of the players individual averages will exceed the team's game average.
Last year's sum of individual averages was about 12 points higher than the team's game average.

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I think Tamari is a bit like ONO. Lots of talent and length but not showing the aggressiveness necessary to dominate. They both have never had to fight for their minutes because they were the only option. they are going to start and play as much as endurance and fouls allow because they are the only option.
Showed a little more aggressive play last season in certain games. Still she has a way to go still a little tentative in her play. Still learning how to play without fouling as this cost her a lot of time on the court last season. This has to be her breakout season is she is going to have one.

I see coach Kellie got a nice contract extension today. Congrats to her, bodes well for the program.

Have been impressed with our competitiveness the last two season. Ready to be impressed by some winning of Championships again! So far it seems she has hit it out of the park with hiring Coach Sam and Coach Joy.

What about Alexus Dye? I think she and Keyen could prolly give you 14 and 10 from that position and that’s not mentioning the points Karoline Striplin will bring

I'll be honest, I had forgotten about Dye. But now that I've reminded myself - coming in as the player of the year from another conference definitely makes her the biggest wild card. As long as they can synthesize the stats in the aggregate, it's a wash. I think I focus mainly on the PG and C situations right now (even if they have different roles in Harper's offense) because it feels like those are the two areas where Tennessee has the most questions to answer. I thought Green had shown some potential before getting injured, which is why I fixated a bit on her as being a hopeful solution to those questions. But there's a number of possible combinations to consider and really anything goes with this roster at this point.

VN Store

Back