Tennessee Lady Vol News

VFL Isaiah Victor was contacted to see if they could help at all. Her works at Toyota in Knoxville. Such a great kid, just doesn’t have the means that maybe the other girls do. I remember Rennia selling 4 years worth of gear last year to help her transition from college to WNBA

Yes, and I was heartbroken she had to do that. Someday she’ll wish she still had some of those things. But sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Hate it, though. 😢

There are many wife/husband Coaches in NCAA sports. In women’s basketball, I know Alabama, Vanderbilt, Arizona, and yes, Tennessee have married couples working together as Coaches, there are probably more. I think it promotes the family atmosphere we have, and I’m guessing there’s lots of extra brain storming about the team and strategy going on, all good.
John is excellent at breaking down film, scouting, and adjustments. Those who are trashing him just like to flap their gums about nothing.

If I remember correctly there was a guard for us (Middleton?) who was MVP of McDAA game. She was a solid player for us but never was an MVP AA type here. Went to ISU I believe had some success there? But point is don’t put too much stock in this one game.
Or did she win 3 pt contest?
Alexa was never McD AA MVP. She won the skills contest. I think that was the year that Marina Mabrey and Te'a Cooper were co-MVP.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
John is excellent at breaking down film, scouting, and adjustments. Those who are trashing him just like to flap their gums about nothing.

He's doing great, but I wouldn't wana wok with wife no way. If it's working for Kellie why complain. If I'm Kellie, I would use his position to hire top ex NBA coach that would draw eyes into the program. Sometimes u need to act crazy to get attention. Hire Denise Rodman and see how quickly lady vols will be ESPN conversation.

Maybe his assignment isn't recruiting. A lot of the adjustments that are made during the game, it often looks like he is the one with the clip board suggesting the adjustments or at times even drawing them up. Kellie looks to him and his suggestions a lot. Just like our players seem to know their roles, so do our coaches. Why must we continue to pick at things that are irrelevant. He is a part of this team and the girls seem to enjoy him being around, shouldn't that be all that matters?
🎯🎯🎯

I wouldn't wana wok with wife no way
He not only works with his wife, he works FOR his wife. How many men would do that? The OP on this subject said Jon should leave and role model Mr. Mom. IMO what he's already role-modeling as a man who can put his ego aside and be second or third or fourth fiddle to his spouse is even more important. Think how that shapes the Harper childrens' view of the role of women. Pretty empowering, right? I think it obviously works for them, keeps their young family together and so it's fine with me.

I remember that we had a few that got MVP in the game. One was Meghan Simmons, which proves that being showy and scoring as many points as possible can help you win that MVP but doesn't necessarily translate to how well you will help your team.

Last edited:
I remember that we had a few that got MVP in the game. One was Meghan Simmons, which proves that being showing and me-centric can help you win that MVP but doesn't necessarily translate to how well you will help your team.

I will always defend Simmons. She won several games for us and was willing to take shots during a time when our players were afraid to shoot. She didn’t play her best in the tournaments though, but she was a shooter and shooters shoot.

He not only works with his wife, he works FOR his wife. How many men would do that? The OP on this subject said Jon should leave and role model Mr. Mom. IMO what he's already role-modeling as a man who can put his ego aside and be second or third or fourth fiddle to his spouse is even more important. Think how that shapes the Harper childrens' view of the role of women. Pretty empowering, right? I think it obviously works for them, keeps their young family together and so it's fine with me.

Both working with wife or for wife, No for me. But hey If it's working for them great..

Reactions: glv98
I will always defend Simmons. She won several games for us and was willing to take shots during a time when our players were afraid to shoot. She didn’t play her best in the tournaments though, but she was a shooter and shooters shoot.
Yes, she was a good player and helped win some games. However, her MVP at an all star game was not that predictive of how great she would be for a team. The MVP in these games often goes to flashiness and points, which you can do a lot without being a team player.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
He's doing great, but I wouldn't wana wok with wife no way. If it's working for Kellie why complain. If I'm Kellie, I would use his position to hire top ex NBA coach that would draw eyes into the program. Sometimes u need to act crazy to get attention. Hire Denise Rodman and see how quickly lady vols will be ESPN conversation.

Worm would get attention, all right. But I'd rather have Laimbeer toughening up our posts and showing them how to hit threes at their size. The ref whining would be an unfortunate by-product, but you can't have everything.

Reactions: glv98
I remember that we had a few that got MVP in the game. One was Meghan Simmons, which proves that being showing and me-centric can help you win that MVP but doesn't necessarily translate to how well you will help your team.
Say what you will about Simmons, but she's the last Tennessee player to be named SECPOY and to be named an All American.

I watched just the parts of the game where Justine was in.

From what I saw she was 1-6 on three pointers with one of them not even hitting the rim and barely hitting the backboard. She missed at least two other shots, one right at the basket. The other one she missed was tough because she had stolen the ball on the inbounds but was trapped on the baseline with no one coming to help --- so she tried to shoot it and got stuffed by the bottom of the backboard. Better play there was probably to try to bounce the ball OOB off the other player.

She also had the ball stripped when she drove into the lane, and fumbled a pass for a another turnover.

On the positive side, she had a couple of nice assists and got a couple of rebounds and a steal. Honestly though, her passing looked like the best part of her game tonight.

Physically, she is very slightly built so she is not going to bang in the low post or be much help there --- very much a weight room project and definitely not a 4. She didn't look 6' 4" like some have said, but there were a lot of tall players out there so it was hard to judge. She has long arms though which are helpful on defense and seems to have OK instincts. But her first step is slow and she isn't going to match up well on quick guards. She will have to depend on her length to recover. Physical players will probably also give her trouble.

Just watching her demeanor and how she interacted with her teammates and fed them the ball, I think she will be a good team player.

It is hard to tell a lot from one game, and an all-star game at that, but those are my impressions from the first time seeing her play on something other than a highlight reel.

I would be really interested to see what percentage she shot from three in high school because it usually gets worse in college once better defensive players get on you. And her shot is one that needs a little room to get off. The announcers and coaches always praise her distance shooting so I would like to think she is normally pretty accurate, but I seem to remember her high school stats being good, but not stellar. Those were posted before so someone can dig them up if they are interested.

Just as a general observation of the game, this did not look like the most talented bunch of all-stars I have seen play in the McD. And apparently, free throw shooting is a lost art now even in the women's game where fundamentals like that were once well honed. Grey and Barker looked like good players, but I only focused on our recruit and fast forwarded through the stretches where Justine was out.

Spot on assessment. Just from watching her practices, and the game, for a shooter with her reputation she sure seems to miss a lot of shots.

Also it's a very strange look for "the best shooter of the class" not to participate in the three point contest, but seeing some of these other players light it up I can see why she would be scared...

I remember that we had a few that got MVP in the game. One was Meghan Simmons, which proves that being showy and scoring as many points as possible can help you win that MVP but doesn't necessarily translate to how well you will help your team.

Horston apparently was MVP. I had forgotten until it was brought up on the broadcast last night. I guess I wasn't the only one...

Spot on assessment. Just from watching her practices, and the game, for a shooter with her reputation she sure seems to miss a lot of shots.

Also it's a very strange look for "the best shooter of the class" not to participate in the three point contest, but seeing some of these other players light it up I can see why she would be scared...
Justine hasn’t even played 1 game for the lady Vols yet and here we are lol it’s gonna be a long 4 years

I think Van Lith shot 0-5 threes on her way to scoring 23 against us. Guess that wouldn't meet the tough standards on this board.

According to the announcer of her game the other night, the Van Lith girl missed 18 three point shots in a row this past season, but she has done fine, and Justine will be fine too...

According to the announcer of her game the other night, the Van Lith girl missed 18 three point shots in a row this past season, but she has done fine, and Justine will be fine too...
If Justine ever misses 18 3 point shots in a row some on here might ban her from entering TBA😂

Reactions: stlvolsfan

Troll

VN Store

Back