Tennessee Lady Vol News

I saw that pass, and it was thrown at her feet. Not her fault it was a TO. Bad pass.

She looked good on defense, but seems to decline to want to rebound. At 6-4, she needs to rebound. She's got a smooth stroke but needs room to get it off. Doesn't shoot it from a high position. Hence her range to get the shot off before the closeout. She isn't a fast runner but isn't a lumberer, either. She gets her shot off quickly, but doesn't seem to possess a lot of quickness in her movements. She needs to become a rebounder, so that implies an increase in strength and positional awareness down low. She seems to have positional awareness. I think she'll start out at the 3 and eventually become a 4.
Sounds like she will fit right in with the mediocre ball handlers and shooters we have already. Hope she can become a three point threat we really need and this game was just a blip in the road. We will see.

P.S. Future UGA player Janiah Barker is quite a player, but she got herself yanked from the game by being silly, laying on the floor on the end of the court to get attention after a play. She's a real "character." Kids. Lol

I wouldn't read into that. She got put back in later after a talking to. Besides, they were all showboating since it was an exhibition game. I doubt any of them would act that way in a real game. I do wonder if Janiah is planning on reopening her recruitment though. She looked really good last night.

I wouldn't read into that. She got put back in later after a talking to. Besides, they were all showboating since it was an exhibition game. I doubt any of them would act that way in a real game. I do wonder if Janiah is planning on reopening her recruitment though. She looked really good last night.
Barker has already reopened her recruitment.
Did she participate in the 3-pt shooting contest? I saw that Duke recruit Jackson won, but not who she was up against.
She did not participate.

Some really great players had some really bad games. Betts was 1 for 8 in the game she did have eight rebounds. Justine was 1 for 7 she did have 3 assists, 4 rebounds and a steal. Paris Clark the Arizona recruit was 1 for 7, Watkins a terrific player was 1 for 7 got 6 rebounds. Johnson going to play for Kim Mulkey took 13 shots and made 2, The best player in the game from and efficiency standpoint was Cooper followed by one of the MVP's Rice. Barker started out great then missed her last 5 or 6 shots.

I didn't see the first quarter, did see Pissott go 1-4 from deep in the rest of the game. Her East team won 95-75.

East standouts were Kiki Rice, Talaysia Cooper, Janiah Barker, Taniya Latson and Chance Gray. Dariana Little Page Buggs had a good game for the West. Lauren Betts will be a handful going against on defense.

Lots of talent in this class IMO.

Talaysia Cooper she is the real deal long can handle the rock and can shoot good looking jump shot.

Some really great players had some really bad games. Betts was 1 for 8 in the game she did have eight rebounds. Justine was 1 for 7 she did have 3 assists, 4 rebounds and a steal. Paris Clark the Arizona recruit was 1 for 7, Watkins a terrific player was 1 for 7 got 6 rebounds. Johnson going to play for Kim Mulkey took 13 shots and made 2, The best player in the game from and efficiency standpoint was Cooper followed by one of the MVP's Rice. Barker started out great then missed her last 5 or 6 shots.

I agree Cooper was the best player in the game can flat out ball. She reminds me of Horston long athletic she will be playing a lot. mark it down. Pissott i notice she can get to the basket if she want not sure why she don`t ?

I watched some of the game....It was a more of a "look at me contest" than a basketball game...

Justine was fine, not her best shooting night, but she was one of the few players that actually passed the ball to the open player...She is a team player, which will help here...

The Rice girl was shooting when she was completely covered, some went in, but she appeared to be a shoot first player...

Reactions: Mr.Pivot
Cooper was crazy good esp given her minutes, 15 points in 15 minutes I think and deadly shooting from 3. 3-4 from 3 and 6-10 overall.

Reactions: Mr.Pivot
I got jumped all over for pointing out the same things about her form when we first recruited her. There was really only one girl who I noticed had a high release on the three ball in that all-star game and she was short so it may have been of necessity, but someone worked with her to develop it. A good, high release point just doesn't seem to be emphasized in the women's game as much as the men's.

I had a chance to look up Justine's high school stats and she was 38% from three for her career. That would be an improvement for us, but the last time I looked at a UConn roster they were all shooting over 40% from three except for a couple of players. That wasn't this year though since I don't regularly go pawing through their stats. It just shows the standard we are chasing.

The only thing I disagree with you about is her eventually becoming a four. She just doesn't have the frame for it. You can play her there, but she would get bounced around in the SEC. Striplin is much more solidly built and she had a hard time playing down low with how physical things are. But you should be able to post Justine up against other team's guards.

Thoughtful post. I am guessing the reason so many women players don't have the high release is generally lower upper body strength compared to men. That's a guess. I have no science to back that up.

Disagree that she can't eventually become a four. She's 6-4 and 18 years old. Training tables and weight rooms over her collegiate career could work wonders. But for now, she is a wing player. She does not dribble drive to the bucket (yet), so her offensive game is shooting the three right now. I'm sure Kellie will have her post up to take advantage of the height difference she'll have with opponents, and demand that she rebound and start developing some kind of inside game.

Sounds like she will fit right in with the mediocre ball handlers and shooters we have already. Hope she can become a three point threat we really need and this game was just a blip in the road. We will see.

I think Van Lith shot 0-5 threes on her way to scoring 23 against us. Guess that wouldn't meet the tough standards on this board.

Last edited:
Go Fund Me started for Snoop to help her transition from college. Snoop doesn’t have a car and every little bit would help! She stepped up BIG for us during the tournament when Jordy went out, and I hope everyone can find it in their heart to help her out! Snoop doesn’t have any NIL deals to help her financially 🧡

Go Fund Me started for Snoop to help her transition from college. Snoop doesn’t have a car and every little bit would help! She stepped up BIG for us during the tournament when Jordy went out, and I hope everyone can find it in their heart to help her out! Snoop doesn’t have any NIL deals to help her financially 🧡

Let’s get this kid some wheels!!! Sure hope some Knoxville auto dealer gets wind of this and donates a car to her. Anyone here know anyone with a vehicle they don’t need who’d be willing to donate it?

Maybe his assignment isn't recruiting. A lot of the adjustments that are made during the game, it often looks like he is the one with the clip board suggesting the adjustments or at times even drawing them up. Kellie looks to him and his suggestions a lot. Just like our players seem to know their roles, so do our coaches. Why must we continue to pick at things that are irrelevant. He is a part of this team and the girls seem to enjoy him being around, shouldn't that be all that matters?
There are many wife/husband Coaches in NCAA sports. In women’s basketball, I know Alabama, Vanderbilt, Arizona, and yes, Tennessee have married couples working together as Coaches, there are probably more. I think it promotes the family atmosphere we have, and I’m guessing there’s lots of extra brain storming about the team and strategy going on, all good.

This 1000%. Only thing matter being said about this game is 5⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐️ ‘cruit Justine Pissott heading to Rocky Top🍊.
If I remember correctly there was a guard for us (Middleton?) who was MVP of McDAA game. She was a solid player for us but never was an MVP AA type here. Went to ISU I believe had some success there? But point is don’t put too much stock in this one game.
Or did she win 3 pt contest?

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Let’s get this kid some wheels!!! Sure hope some Knoxville auto dealer gets wind of this and donates a car to her. Anyone here know anyone with a vehicle they don’t need who’d be willing to donate it?
VFL Isaiah Victor was contacted to see if they could help at all. Her works at Toyota in Knoxville. Such a great kid, just doesn’t have the means that maybe the other girls do. I remember Rennia selling 4 years worth of gear last year to help her transition from college to WNBA

VN Store

Back