Tennessee in the SEC under Bruce Pearl

LawVol

Pretty remarkable what Bruce Pearl has accomplished in the SEC since being named head coach. Take a look at the conference records and see what I mean:

UTK
05/06: 12-4
06/07: 10-6
07/08: 14-2
08/09: 10-5 (before Sundays game v. Alabama)

TOTAL: 46-17

UK:
05/06: 9-7
06/07: 9-7
07/08: 12-4
08/09: 8-7

TOTAL: 38-25

UF:
05/06: 10-6
06/07: 13-3
07/08: 8-8
08/09: 8-7

TOTAL: 39-24

Now obviously we still haven't won an SEC tournament title or gotten as far as we had hoped in the NCAA but, like Hat said, it's hard to argue with winning the SEC East 3 out of the last 4 years.

*As an aside, I got the inspiration for looking these records up from Clay Travis's Mailbag. If you haven't ever read his site, check it out: Clay Travis :: Claynation.

I congratulate UT and Pearl on their success over the last few years in the SEC.

However, winning SEC titles in basketball does not equate to the same level of national success as it does in football, and that is for a varioety of reasons. First, like it or not, the SEC is a football conference. Always has been, probably always will be., Second, if you win the SEC in football, you are going to a BCS bowl and, in fact over the last three years you are headed to the national title game.

lg with the startling revelation that football is king in the South. film at 11.

yea but Billy Gillespie is still the better coach

So is the other BIlly.
I think because BP is so out there at times and the players can get carried away his coaching skills are questioned at times.
It kills me here in Nash the local radio talking heads are always talking about the great coaches and never mention BP.

I congratulate UT and Pearl on their success over the last few years in the SEC.

However, winning SEC titles in basketball does not equate to the same level of national success as it does in football, and that is for a varioety of reasons. First, like it or not, the SEC is a football conference. Always has been, probably always will be., Second, if you win the SEC in football, you are going to a BCS bowl and, in fact over the last three years you are headed to the national title game.

I'm telling you man, I can't read what your saying....that Avatar is taking all my attention!

you sound bitter

you sound bitter

Not at all. Just pointing out that winning the SEC in basketball is liking winning the WAC in football.

The likelihood is that Florida has to win the SEC tournament at this point to get into the NCAAs, so while I will be rooting for that, I am also mindful that if Florida does sneak into the field of 65, they are almost certainly doomed to a first round loss.

That is utterly imbecilic.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

In terms of getting you onto the national stage, they are about the same this year.

Right now, all of two SEC teams are in the NCAA tournament, LSU and UT. If one of them wins the SEC tournament, and the other hopefuls all lose early, i.e. South Carolina, Florida, Kentucky, then it is entirely possible that with a few other tournament upsets the SEC could get a whopping TWO teams into the tournament.

In terms of getting you onto the national stage, they are about the same this year.

Right now, all of two SEC teams are in the NCAA tournament, LSU and UT. If one of them wins the SEC tournament, and the other hopefuls all lose early, i.e. South Carolina, Florida, Kentucky, then it is entirely possible that with a few other tournament upsets the SEC could get a whopping TWO teams into the tournament.

I have to say those are just entirely too big

How much money would you like to wager that the SEC gets more than 2 in the NCAA? We make the bet the money goes to St Judes children Hospital. I'm sure one of the mods will be more than happy to take the money and send it in to St Judes.

+1 more like winning the acc in football.

I actually thought of that comparison. An argument can be made that it is more equivalent than the WAC. But comparing it to the WAC this year is not, as hat says, "utterly imbecilic."

The SEC blows this year.

The SEC blows this year.

Unlike the SEC, the WAC is insignificant every year though. Sure the stars may align every now and then for a football team to have the right opportunity to be on national discussion, but most of the time this isn't the case. SEC basketball, however, has featured 2 champions in the past 3 years and just 3 years ago featured 2 teams in the final 4.

i'll translate LG's posts for you guys: "If florida sucks, the rest of the SEC must suck too."

How much money would you like to wager that the SEC gets more than 2 in the NCAA? We make the bet the money goes to St Judes children Hospital. I'm sure one of the mods will be more than happy to take the money and send it in to St Judes.

I am not saying its likely, just that the league is so bad this year that right now only two teams can say they are in for sure. That is shameful.

If I had to guess, I'd say three are very likely (LSU and UT, plus probably South Carolina). I'd even say that four is a real possibility.

Point is, winning the SEC this year is just not particularly meaningful.

Hey, don't get me wrong. Its better than finishing a distant third or fourth in the East, which is where the Gators are going to be this year. I'm just saying let's not get carried away here that winning anything in the SEC this year is particularly meaningful.

i'll translate LG's posts for you guys: "If florida sucks, the rest of the SEC must suck too."

Not so at all.

I've been saying that Florida was mediocre at best all year long.

Everyone else on here has been unanimous that the SEC sucks this year, from top to bottom.

I am not saying its likely, just that the league is so bad this year that right now only two teams can say they are in for sure. That is shameful.

If I had to guess, I'd say three are very likely (LSU and UT, plus probably South Carolina). I'd even say that four is a real possibility.

Point is, winning the SEC this year is just not particularly meaningful.

Hey, don't get me wrong. Its better than finishing a distant third or fourth in the East, which is where the Gators are going to be this year. I'm just saying let's not get carried away here that winning anything in the SEC this year is particularly meaningful.

4 will def make it and probably 5.

VN Store

Back