Tennessee in the debatable 8

VA_VOLFAN

NCAA released its last 8 teams looking for the last 4 spots in the tourney.

Tennessee among seven tourney bubble teams

The final 8 teams were Arkansas, Auburn, Indiana, Ohio, Princeton, Tennessee, TCU and UCF. However Princeton opened up a spot by winning their tourney so 7 teams fighting for 4 spots

Just saw a clip of LaChina Robinson interviewing the head of the Women's Selection Committee prior to the start of the Men's Selection show. The Lady Vols are definitely on the bubble, according to the chairperson, and one of eight teams vying for the final four spots in the tournament.

Let that sink in......

This team/program should not be in this position.

The final 8 teams were Arkansas, Auburn, Indiana, Ohio, Princeton, Tennessee, TCU and UCF. However Princeton opened up a spot by winning their tourney so 7 teams fighting for 4 spots
If Princeton is off the bubble, isn't Penn on the bubble now. Penn is 57 RPI; Tennessee is 60. Tennessee is not clearly better than Penn.
I'll address the shortcomings of the RPI in the near future.

If Princeton is off the bubble, isn't Penn on the bubble now. Penn is 57 RPI; Tennessee is 60. Tennessee is not clearly better than Penn.
I'll address the shortcomings of the RPI in the near future.

Penn's SOS does them in -- it's 142 compared to Princeton's 75.

Reactions: tbwhhs

In the video above the article, Rebecca Lobo says TN will be in the tourney. Guess we’ll know for sure tomorrow night.

As Dick Vitale said when it comes to who gets in "Reward greatness" in other words don't reward mediocrity! It can be argued that every team out of this 8 overachieved while we just plain underachieved!

Most thing we are going to get in. LV have the worst record of the ones on the bubble, but I think there was some quality wins?

Most thing we are going to get in. LV have the worst record of the ones on the bubble, but I think there was some quality wins?
If you consider Texas and Missouri "quality wins". Truthfully, I think this year's Tennessee team is the very definition of mediocrity. They have no signature wins. It's not like before where they would have stinkers, but come out of nowhere and beat ND or a healthy SC. Instead, their two best wins of the season were against average teams, and the rest of their "quality top 50 wins" consist of Belmont and Auburn, who are in the 45-50 range. And that doesn't even account for their mind boggling losses.

They shouldn't be in the tournament based on this hot mess of a season, and if they do get in, that doesn't speak well for the quality of WCBB outside of the top teams.

Reactions: BreatheUT
If you take talent into consideration then Tennessee should be a 2 seed and no less than a 3 seed...but the season didn't go that way.

If you take talent into consideration then Tennessee should be a 2 seed and no less than a 3 seed...but the season didn't go that way.
If you are right about the talent regardless of the Coach this team should have had 4-5 more wins just by rolling the ball out and being more athletic!

If you consider Texas and Missouri "quality wins". Truthfully, I think this year's Tennessee team is the very definition of mediocrity. They have no signature wins. It's not like before where they would have stinkers, but come out of nowhere and beat ND or a healthy SC. Instead, their two best wins of the season were against average teams, and the rest of their "quality top 50 wins" consist of Belmont and Auburn, who are in the 45-50 range. And that doesn't even account for their mind boggling losses.

They shouldn't be in the tournament based on this hot mess of a season, and if they do get in, that doesn't speak well for the quality of WCBB outside of the top teams.

Your last sentence is spot on. I think the quality is bad. The tournament as a tv product would be more intriguing at 48 teams

I don't mind the 64 teams, but I personally think they should get away from Conference Tournaments all together. Let the regular season winner be the automatic qualifier and then select the remaining teams based on SOS, Conference Records, Last 10 games, etc. I think a minimum requirement should be going .500 in your conference.

There are several examples of very good mid-major teams winning their regular season and having a bad game during tournament and not making it in. I just don't think that is fair. You reward teams for how they do during the season, not if they have a good weekend.

Yes and spaghetti is easy to make,,unless you try to heat up the pasta and then add water
Geez! We get it! You believe all this team needs is someone to give them a run thru the brick wall speech for me! And a few hours of personal training!! You claim to be on speed dial by all means call them and apply for the job! Just tell Fulmer everything you say on this board and you are just the magical person they need! And let them know you can be there tomorrow! Bam! You are hired! And seriously I wish you luck! For me personally I believe there are more problems with this team than just the Coach!

Reactions: ruvol and VolBall09
I don't mind the 64 teams, but I personally think they should get away from Conference Tournaments all together. Let the regular season winner be the automatic qualifier and then select the remaining teams based on SOS, Conference Records, Last 10 games, etc. I think a minimum requirement should be going .500 in your conference.

There are several examples of very good mid-major teams winning their regular season and having a bad game during tournament and not making it in. I just don't think that is fair. You reward teams for how they do during the season, not if they have a good weekend.
I remember before where teams weren't getting at large bids if they weren't 50-50 in their conference. I think it changed as the conferences got bigger, but I think it's still a general good rule...with exceptions being some key marquis wins against top 5-10 teams.

Getting in with a losing record and no signature wins just reeks of desperation of trying to fill slots. As others have said, I'd rather see a team like Lamar get in for having a consistent season even if they lost in their tournament as opposed to a team like Tennessee that really hasn't done anything of note and has vastly underachieved given the fact that they supposedly had some of the most sought after HS players on their roster. But I do think 64 teams is too many. Like you said, let the conference champion be given the automatic bid. The conference tournaments can be an additional data point to reward teams that are able to make a big run. But preference to mediocre P5 teams should be done away with. I know that these teams would probably win H2H, but they should back it up on the court with wins to earn their bid. Finishing 8th in your conference, mostly against teams in the lower half of the standings, should not be rewarded.

Geez! We get it! You believe all this team needs is someone to give them a run thru the brick wall speech for me! And a few hours of personal training!! You claim to be on speed dial by all means call them and apply for the job! Just tell Fulmer everything you say on this board and you are just the magical person they need! And let them know you can be there tomorrow! Bam! You are hired! And seriously I wish you luck! For me personally I believe there are more problems with this team than just the Coach!

I don't

VN Store

Back