Tennessee fanbase is an asset.

The media latches on like they have to this unfortunate narrative having one obvious goal…attention…
Attention from an audience who’s mostly anti-VOL (and they know it). Writing and spewing anti-VOL sentiment hooks the target audience, drives clicks and keeps them tuned in for just that much longer…meaning one thing for the writers and talkers - mo’ $.

Consider what kids these days will do to simply get a like on social media. They are not going to go to a school because they expect to hear "Jolly good show old sport!" from a bunch of old guys. They want an entire sea of maniacal screaming bloodthirsty fans who worship them.

Most of you guys may not really understand what it is to feel that love of the crowd at that level, not having been on a really big stage. I once had the opportunity to speak to over 100k people (plus TV, etc) at an event and it is something. Its almost like a gravitational force when that many people are giving you their full attention - wave of electricity you can feel. And mind you, these were just attendees, not rabid fans. I have also spoken at events of 5k or so and it is similar but its really something when its a sea of people.

Its why musicians do live shows, to feel the love of the crowd, politicians too. When they are absolutely nuts fans (and hopefully hot chicks among them) screaming your name, going berserk - yeah, that is what you run through that T and come to Neyland for in the first place.

Few guys are going to the big show but here many players will have the opportunity, if but for a few years, to feel almost worshiped as a demi-god. That's not going to hurt recruiting at all.
So I just pictured in my head, Gandalf standing on a stage, in all his wizardry, giving a speech to a legion of 100k hobbits and it was emotionally charged and it was spectacular! I was sold.
😎
GBO!!

Reactions: Vol Farmer
Unfortunately, it only takes one rotten apple to spoil the bushel. Regardless of how we feel that only " a few" of our fans make stupid mistake, they are fans and they do have a negative impact on our image. That puts more pressure on the rest of the fans to restrain those "few" who draw the headlines for their actions. When we condone/ignore those who are problem, the few easily multiplies to more and more than a few and there is where we have to admit that this was an embarrassing incident.

If by “reputation” you mean what the sports media thinks about us, well most on here and most in that stadium could not care less about that “reputation”
The tragedy about this is that is really your mindset. The greater tragedy is that people across the country get the idea that it is typical of the Tennessee fan. The greatest tragedy is that you just don't get it.

You’re so full of it it’s ridiculous. You have zero knowledge about how long any of this will last. You’re obviously the type of person that lets others tell them how to think. Throwing stuff on the field was dumb but your take on the matter is dumber. Go ahead and root for Arky. I’m sure you’re so embarrassed to be a TN fan.
You're right. At this moment, I am embarrassed. That's the difference between you and me--thank God.

The tragedy about this is that is really your mindset. The greater tragedy is that people across the country get the idea that it is typical of the Tennessee fan. The greatest tragedy is that you just don't get it.

The bottle and golf ball throwing were totally unacceptable and those idiots throwing them ought to be prosecuted if they can be identified. At the same time, the narrative that the UT fan base is toxic is horse manure. It was a few idiots. That’s all.

So why don’t you take your condescending attitude and go pound sand

I don't think the people throwing things on the field represented UT fans at large in a positive way. But, focusing on a few hundred folks throwing items on the field is losing the forest for the trees.

102k+ passionate fans yelling, cheering on, and supporting our team should be the focus. Even just watching on TV, you could see what an incredible atmosphere Neyland was that night. If you can't get hyped to play in that you are dead inside.

The wonks like Forde and Thamel are hacks who never met an easy story they couldnt write/fabricate. They are both almost completely irrelevant.

I can't wait until the football program fully rises again so we can rub their nose in it like a potty training puppy.

Wah wah wah.

Embrace being an outlaw. Has certainly worked for other programs in the past. Sorry if you view college kids being, well college kids to be the worst thing that has ever happened.

I would rather opponents be scared to death of what COULD happen at Neyland than for them to expect an easy afternoon

The fans are a huge asset. Huge. Big money boosters are going to change college football in the next ten years, but you know what money can't buy? It can't buy Neyland Stadium. It can't buy fan atmosphere. It can't buy gameday tradition and pageantry. Players want to go where football is life, and they want to play where people care about football more than anything else. You can't buy that with money, you can only earn it through having the best fans. Tennessee has always had great fans. That 102,000 would fill Neyland during the worst ten year stretch in the history of Tennessee football speaks to the quality of fans and the love Tennessee has in the southeast. When Tennessee does get back to the top, it won't just be the money from boosters or NIL work that sells them - it will be the fans.

I was at the game as well, I can promise you the fans showed the entire country, and recruits, that Tennessee is still alive and well. We are just awaiting to be awoken. Lord help the United States of America if our football team starts winning again.

The trash throwing is the only thing being talked about by the national media since the Ole Miss game. It just further shows their disconnect from the common fan and game of football. I also tend to think they like talking about Tennessee because they know our fan base is passionate and voluminous so it increases ratings and viewership.
It's already old news and no one gives a damn anymore. I heard plenty of national media types say it's a great fan base and the shenanigans were a small portion of the base

Reactions: JRich
Anyway you cut it, the reputation of the University of Tennessee suffered a massive blow (no, it hasn't) last weekend. It's a black mark that's going to last (no, not really). Those clowns trying to justify what happened aren't helping the problem.

Some folks act like this is the first time something like this has ever happened. I got news, it's not and it really isn't that big of a deal.

Reactions: Voltopia
As for "passionate fanbase", what kind of honorable, decent, law abiding fan would hurl a full water bottle or golf ball at people on the playing field in an attempt to hurt them?
A drunk one who has had enough. I mean, sh*t happens. You've been "honorable and decent" your entire life?

Yeah. I'm not really afraid that guys who play a brutal and sometimes vicious game are upset that fans reacted to that particular bad call or a whole game of them.

This all day long.

Why is it that the national media try to do us in any way they can? This is reminiscent of the season where the Heisman was taken from Peyton.

This all day long.

Why is it that the national media try to do us in any way they can? This is reminiscent of the season where the Heisman was taken from Peyton.
Who knows. The media in these days is worse than the National Enquirer of past eras. They report in narratives and care less about facts. Same guys that watched tens of thousands destroy property, kill people, and loot for a whole summer call what happened on January 6th "terrorism". They don't even pretend any more.

The same type of reporting occurs throughout the media. Someone doesn't like UT. Group think kicks in. Any dissenting voice is ostracized or silenced... and UT becomes the bad guy.

As for "passionate fanbase", what kind of honorable, decent, law abiding fan would hurl a full water bottle or golf ball at people on the playing field in an attempt to hurt them?
They wouldn't. But it wasn't most fans doing it. Folks will be arrested. Folks will get lifetime bans. It was an almost understandable emotional reaction to a WHOLE NIGHT of bad calls at first. But 18 minutes? That's just stupid.

Finebaum was so perturbed Kiffin wouldn’t give him some juice about the game. Lane basically said it wasn’t dangerous, fans were into it. Only a few threw stuff, mostly plastic water bottles.

Reactions: OrangeTsar
As far as „golf balls“ thrown, i have seen evidence of exactly…..(checks notes)……one. In terms of water bottles, I can recall hearing of no reports of any human being ever being injured by an (unfrozen) plastic water bottle. I have no statistical record on which to judge the injury likelihood from a plastic Heinz mustard bottle however.

They wouldn't. But it wasn't most fans doing it. Folks will be arrested. Folks will get lifetime bans. It was an almost understandable emotional reaction to a WHOLE NIGHT of bad calls at first. But 18 minutes? That's just stupid.
College football fans being stupid? Wow, I never thought i would live to see such things 🙄

Saturday night throwing of stuff is so overblown. I was hit by a souvenir cup of coke thrown from the upper deck at a home game vs Florida back in the late early 90s and I don’t remember people being all up arms crying about people could’ve been seriously injured back then. My white shirt was toast, but there wasn’t any real danger. It’s today’s society!!

VN Store

Back