Tennessee boosters

Coaches have never been the ones with the deepest pockets
No, come to think of it, you’re right. So, if boosters at every school paid players along with coaches, that means every school should be investigated, right? 🤔

No, come to think of it, you’re right. So, if boosters at every school paid players along with coaches, that means every school should be investigated, right? 🤔

You want to retrospectively investigate schools without actual evidence based on the claims of random internet posters?

I didn’t think a booster back then would pay players illegally like this, only coaches illegally.

Hundred dollar handshakes, ever heard of those? Those were various boosters in pretty much all college football programs sliding cash to players over the last many decades.

Reactions: LWSVOL
I’m not going to dig into this a lot but it happens everywhere in the south. You can’t stop it. Where it gets excessive is when you have a school like Bama playing high school coaches to funnel kids there.

Only thing a program can control is tell kids not to take money and if they do they will not be recruited. You just can’t police every aspect.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Being involved with cash payouts to recruits. How do you handle that situation?
Ummm you can't. Remember we live in a free country where I, you or any other joe smoh can give his or her money to anyone. It was illegal in college a few years ago but you cannot stop it!

Yes! He! ☝️Who was the booster I wonder?

Why does it matter so much who it was? (it doesn’t)
What good would it do the Vols to have that name plastered across all forms of media? (absolutely none)
Why do you want so badly for a Vols booster to be thrown under the bus? (You’ve got us wondering now)

I heard the booster in question was some guy named John Smith who lives in the Southeast. Now if you can just track him down, we can lay this whole mess right as his feet.

In every college sports pay to play scandal there is almost always one or more boosters involved. Let me preface by saying most big boosters are not to blame and we should appreciate their donations.

One of the things I did a while back was I went to the NCAA major infractions page to see what programs had gotten in trouble for and what the consequences had been. Reading the various infractions usually some booster or boosters are part of whatever is uncovered. When it comes to buying recruits, boosters with inappropriate relationships with university administration are a common theme. Usually they are the financiers of such things.

They are fans and alumni like us, but have typically been successful or inherited wealth and spend a lot on the university. As a result of their donations they meet a lot of people involved with the program directly. This is fine for most of them and we should all appreciate them for helping with their money.

Unfortunately some of them have expectations and feel entitled to know things and be involved in decisions, and because they spend so much they often have developed key relationships and their influence in an athletic program can become inappropriate. Again, this is not the bulk of them.

Look at all of the people who post things about how they are entitled to know thing because they buy tickets. Like when the recent rumors were being discussed a handful felt they were owed something. Now imagine if they had actual influence because they had spent huge sums of money and people really did listen to them.

This can cause all sorts of problems with a program, but only when universities allow those inappropriate relationships to develop and allow the money to influence their decision making.

Recruiting is a problem? Does it matter if the coach comes up with the plan and his buddy the rich donor can help with the logistics, or if the booster decides it needs doing and uses their influence to make things happen? Either way the problems start when people allow money to affect what they will and won’t do behind the limits of what they should.

I mean none of this is new or even university specific. Plenty of people in various institutions do what they know is wrong when big money becomes involved. Corruption and inappropriate boundaries are ancient. It’s a common failing.

If you go back and read the ruling that lost Alabama bowl eligibility with stuff going back to the 90s you’ll see institutions also will try to pin it on the money men when they get caught and claim they were minimally involved. Rogue staff and boosters. They serve as cutouts at times, but I suspect it’s usually less people didn’t know and more like they looked the other way.

Alright already.... I admit it. I gave $50 and a large order of fries to Eric Gray. I testified already about the 50, but left out the fries!!!Sorry !

Reactions: Stephen Gray
In the past, universities have disassociated themselves from boosters found to have committed violations.

Specifically the penalties include being prohibited from providing financial assistance to the school’s athletic program and receiving any athletics benefits that aren’t available to the general public. The boosters will also be prohibited from attending any home athletic events and entering all athletics department facilities on campus and will not be given any public or private recognition related to athletics giving history.

NCAA is now irrelevant. They can’t do sheet. NIL and transfer portal + 12 team playoff has all been way overdue. Future of College Football is looking great.

Orange Defense could you find out how they came to the conclusion that Pruitt actually used Chick Fil A bags instead of Mc D bags. Inquiring minds want to know.

Not making allegations, but it does say a booster was involved, and kind of shock me when it said that part.

I will make an allegation on your behalf - yes of the thousands of boosters that UT has, apparently one may have " donated " some funds for one of the recruits/players. Let me emphasize that the extent of this was minimal - really on everyone's part. $60,000 in total including for things like hip replacement surgery for someone's mom. Sounds like it was a few hundred here, a couple thousand there, Chic fil a bags were involved. :) Now with NIL money flowing in the millions - and the timing coming just before the NIL bonanzas - it just seems a little trumped up and extremely inconsequential. The booster probably chipped in a few thousand for some purpose but nobody got rich here and you don't buy recruits with $5 or $10,000. I don't condone what happened, just seems similar to someone getting arrested for smoking pot in Virginia a year before it was legal.

Hopefully we have crackerjack attorneys representing us and the NCAA realizes this isn't an institution run amuck. I do take issue with the sheer number of people that were involved. Deliveries with Pruitt's babysitter and Chic fil a bags -- surely someone just made this stuff up right?

Reactions: Stephen Gray
I will make an allegation on your behalf - yes of the thousands of boosters that UT has, apparently one may have " donated " some funds for one of the recruits/players. Let me emphasize that the extent of this was minimal - really on everyone's part. $60,000 in total including for things like hip replacement surgery for someone's mom. Sounds like it was a few hundred here, a couple thousand there, Chic fil a bags were involved. :) Now with NIL money flowing in the millions - and the timing coming just before the NIL bonanzas - it just seems a little trumped up and extremely inconsequential. The booster probably chipped in a few thousand for some purpose but nobody got rich here and you don't buy recruits with $5 or $10,000. I don't condone what happened, just seems similar to someone getting arrested for smoking pot in Virginia a year before it was legal.

Hopefully we have crackerjack attorneys representing us and the NCAA realizes this isn't an institution run amuck. I do take issue with the sheer number of people that were involved. Deliveries with Pruitt's babysitter and Chic fil a bags -- surely someone just made this stuff up right?

It doesn’t look as bad as hundreds of thousands of dollars to high school coaches and covert meetings at strip clubs to me for sure.

VN Store

Back