Tennessee a Tier 3 job

Based on these definitions, it’s a tier 2 job.

The reality is that it’s a tier 1 job and I define that by whether or not a national title is a realistic goal at that school.

There are about 30 such jobs across the country IMO. Tennessee is one of them.

I think there are 7 or 8 of them in the SEC
I'd say 20.

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
Tier 1 jobs: Great location with excellent access to elite regional and national recruits; strong infrastructure and commitment from university and athletic administration; few financial limitations on assistant coach and staff hires; history as a top-5 program (recent or long term).

Tier 2 jobs: Very good location and/or access to top 300 recruits; no major limitations around facilities, coaching salaries or support staff; the ability to win a national title occasionally and compete regularly for conference championships; consistent top-20 finishes (recent or long term).

Tier 3 jobs: Good location and/or access to regional recruits; solid facilities and salary pool for assistants and support staff; adequate administrative/fan support with occasional challenges; a place that should regularly contend for division titles and occasionally win the league with a College Football Playoff appearance as a realistic ceiling.

Tier 4 jobs: Recruiting or resource restrictions that make player development a focal point; strong facilities but average overall infrastructure in their conferences; limitations with administrative/fan support; a consistent bowl team that competes for division titles, league titles and New Year's Six bowls a few times per decade.

Tier 5 jobs: Limited recruiting reach that requires a developmental approach; decent and functional facilities; some administrative and booster support with realistic expectations; a job where bowl eligibility is still typically celebrated, and the occasional 10-win season, division title or major bowl appearance is a big deal.

Tennessee once was a Tier 1 jobs, but are struggling for relevancy in their league. Tennessee can recruit with the big boys, as Jeremy Pruitt is showing (and Butch Jones did for a while), and boasts strong facilities and fan support, but also a recent run of administrative turmoil.

College football coaching job tiers: Which Power 5 teams are the best?

Tennessee is certainly capable of more than tier 3, but honestly looking at our last 4 coaching hires and our last 15 or so years of success (lack of), you cant argue with it.

In my opinion what holds us down is:
string of underwhelming coaching hires
University administration that doesnt value football success
lack of success since the early 00s

I know that the VOLS have not done anything in years but when is the last time Michigan or Texas A&M were serious contenders to win it all? Texas A&M could not even win in the big12. Their last conference title in the big12 was 1998 & has won 0 since joining the SEC. Michigan still can’t beat Ohio State and IIRC, they haven’t won a conference title since 2004. I do realize that UT must win consistently to earn respect nationally. BTW, Washington is about to take a huge step back.

Miami should be able to recruit in a 3 county area and stockpile talent every year. I don't understand why they aren't more relevant than they are.

At least FSU has the excuse of being in Tallahassee. What a dump that place is.

They hired some sh1ty coaches after Larry Coker.

Reactions: Boca Vol
It is funny how some historically great schools like USC get a free pass but ESPN can not wait to demote us.

Reactions: N.ohio vol
Tier 1 jobs: Great location with excellent access to elite regional and national recruits; strong infrastructure and commitment from university and athletic administration; few financial limitations on assistant coach and staff hires; history as a top-5 program (recent or long term).

Not us.

Tier 2 jobs:
Very good location and/or access to top 300 recruits; no major limitations around facilities, coaching salaries or support staff; the ability to win a national title occasionally and compete regularly for conference championships; consistent top-20 finishes (recent or long term).

Nope.

Tier 3 jobs:
Good location and/or access to regional recruits; solid facilities and salary pool for assistants and support staff; adequate administrative/fan support with occasional challenges; a place that should regularly contend for division titles and occasionally win the league with a College Football Playoff appearance as a realistic ceiling.

Bingo

Reactions: irish1485
Auburn is not a Tier 2 job and the coaching turnover {Kiffin 1 year, Dooley 3 years) could be factors as to why Tennessee is considered a Tier 3 job.

Tier 1 jobs have to be located in or very close to major national media centers at the minimum. I'd list those as LA, SF, Miami, NY, and Dallas.
Miami should be able to recruit in a 3 county area and stockpile talent every year. I don't understand why they aren't more relevant than they are.

At least FSU has the excuse of being in Tallahassee. What a dump that place is.

Miami went through a thing where the school has been under a rehab to change it's image after they hired former Democrat insider, Donna Shalala to run things up until 2015. Chances are the school is running a cleaner program, no more of the thugs and drugs culture they once had. Sort of like when we got less kids on the police blotter we also got a lot softer on the field. College football is not just for kids who ran the FCA chapter at their school.

Auburn is not a Tier 2 job and the coaching turnover {Kiffin 1 year, Dooley 3 years) could be factors as to why Tennessee is considered a Tier 3 job.
"compete regularly for conference championships" is where we fall short of the criteria. We meet the rest

Reactions: sport3500
Who cares what ESPN thinks? What kind of joke made up ranking is this anyway? Regardless of all that who wants false glory anyway? It's the truth that we have been irrelevant for a loooong time now. So what! A new season is in front of us and anything can happen.

And we shouldn't start the season with a top 25 ranking either. Accolades are earned. If we take care of business this year and then knock off 1 of the 4 we are not supposed to beat then we have earned a spot in the top 25. Otherwise, we ain't there yet.. Just my opinion.

Based on the stated criteria, almost every school in Texas and Florida would be a Tier 1 job.

The fact that they put UTexas and aTm in different tiers removes all credibility. And I am not in anyway a fan of either.

This is about as subjective as it gets after Tier 1. I feel like the tiers are poorly conceived. And where are facilities on this list? Those are one of the biggest drivers for kids.

Location? What makes it great? I'd argue that ASU is in a GREAT location as is USC, Texas, Miami etc.... If you ask Cowherd its all about being warm in the winter but OSU gets cold and still gets top tier recruits year after year.

Access to recruits? Any state should own its top tier recruits. The real question is how many top 300 players are coming out of your state year in and year out? TX, FL, GA, CA etc own this market. To get those recruits and be out of state you have to WIN.

I suppose my long walk to this point is simply how well you do year in an year out if you are a Tier 1 or 2. If you win a lot and are on TV all the time kids are interested. If you're up and down you will need more regional love and get big ticket talent when you are in a good cycle.

If the Vols keep recruiting like we have been and start competing with the big boys we are a strong Tier 2; think the Manning years where we were top 5 every year.

Based on these definitions, it’s a tier 2 job.

The reality is that it’s a tier 1 job and I define that by whether or not a national title is a realistic goal at that school.

There are about 30 such jobs across the country IMO. Tennessee is one of them.

I think there are 7 or 8 of them in the SEC
Beat it, nerd.

Lol. Like anyone at ESPN would know. AZ State...seriously. Those guys live in a sports echo chamber

VN Store

Back