Tennessee a Tier 3 job

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
Tier 1 jobs: Great location with excellent access to elite regional and national recruits; strong infrastructure and commitment from university and athletic administration; few financial limitations on assistant coach and staff hires; history as a top-5 program (recent or long term).

Tier 2 jobs: Very good location and/or access to top 300 recruits; no major limitations around facilities, coaching salaries or support staff; the ability to win a national title occasionally and compete regularly for conference championships; consistent top-20 finishes (recent or long term).

Tier 3 jobs: Good location and/or access to regional recruits; solid facilities and salary pool for assistants and support staff; adequate administrative/fan support with occasional challenges; a place that should regularly contend for division titles and occasionally win the league with a College Football Playoff appearance as a realistic ceiling.

Tier 4 jobs: Recruiting or resource restrictions that make player development a focal point; strong facilities but average overall infrastructure in their conferences; limitations with administrative/fan support; a consistent bowl team that competes for division titles, league titles and New Year's Six bowls a few times per decade.

Tier 5 jobs: Limited recruiting reach that requires a developmental approach; decent and functional facilities; some administrative and booster support with realistic expectations; a job where bowl eligibility is still typically celebrated, and the occasional 10-win season, division title or major bowl appearance is a big deal.

Tennessee once was a Tier 1 jobs, but are struggling for relevancy in their league. Tennessee can recruit with the big boys, as Jeremy Pruitt is showing (and Butch Jones did for a while), and boasts strong facilities and fan support, but also a recent run of administrative turmoil.

College football coaching job tiers: Which Power 5 teams are the best?

Reactions: sport3500
Based on these definitions, it’s a tier 2 job.

The reality is that it’s a tier 1 job and I define that by whether or not a national title is a realistic goal at that school.

There are about 30 such jobs across the country IMO. Tennessee is one of them.

I think there are 7 or 8 of them in the SEC

TIER 1: Alabama, Clemson, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas, USC

TIER 2: Auburn, Florida State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oregon, Penn State, Texas A&M, Washington

TIER 3: Arizona State, Baylor, Iowa, Louisville, Miami, Michigan State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, UCLA, Utah, Virginia Tech, Wisconsin

Miami should be able to recruit in a 3 county area and stockpile talent every year. I don't understand why they aren't more relevant than they are.

At least FSU has the excuse of being in Tallahassee. What a dump that place is.

Well that doesn't even make sense for the definitions they provided.

Tennessee, Nebraska, and Miami are not tier 3 jobs. Sure, they've had tier 3 success for awhile. Mentioning them in the same tier as Baylor, Louisville, and Arizona State is comical.

The fact that we routinely land Top 10 in recruiting classes, attendance, and revenue in the midst of a down period proves as much.

Miami should be able to recruit in a 3 county area and stockpile talent every year. I don't understand why they aren't more relevant than they are.

At least FSU has the excuse of being in Tallahassee. What a dump that place is.

IMO, Miami is similar to us. They were once great but fell off the horse and repeatedly struggled to get back on. They get back on that horse only to find themselves falling off of it which can be said about the past 15 years for us.

I wonder if FSU or Miami would benefit by moving to the SEC?

Reactions: 08Vol
Tier 1 jobs: Great location with excellent access to elite regional and national recruits; strong infrastructure and commitment from university and athletic administration; few financial limitations on assistant coach and staff hires; history as a top-5 program (recent or long term).

Tier 2 jobs: Very good location and/or access to top 300 recruits; no major limitations around facilities, coaching salaries or support staff; the ability to win a national title occasionally and compete regularly for conference championships; consistent top-20 finishes (recent or long term).

Tier 3 jobs: Good location and/or access to regional recruits; solid facilities and salary pool for assistants and support staff; adequate administrative/fan support with occasional challenges; a place that should regularly contend for division titles and occasionally win the league with a College Football Playoff appearance as a realistic ceiling.

Tier 4 jobs: Recruiting or resource restrictions that make player development a focal point; strong facilities but average overall infrastructure in their conferences; limitations with administrative/fan support; a consistent bowl team that competes for division titles, league titles and New Year's Six bowls a few times per decade.

Tier 5 jobs: Limited recruiting reach that requires a developmental approach; decent and functional facilities; some administrative and booster support with realistic expectations; a job where bowl eligibility is still typically celebrated, and the occasional 10-win season, division title or major bowl appearance is a big deal.

Tennessee once was a Tier 1 jobs, but are struggling for relevancy in their league. Tennessee can recruit with the big boys, as Jeremy Pruitt is showing (and Butch Jones did for a while), and boasts strong facilities and fan support, but also a recent run of administrative turmoil.

College football coaching job tiers: Which Power 5 teams are the best?
tenor-1-1.gif

Based on these definitions, it’s a tier 2 job.

The reality is that it’s a tier 1 job and I define that by whether or not a national title is a realistic goal at that school.

There are about 30 such jobs across the country IMO. Tennessee is one of them.

I think there are 7 or 8 of them in the SEC
Yeah and the thing that separates tier 2 from tier one is great coaching.

Like if we had Nick Saban since 2007 we would be firmly in tier 1.

Well that doesn't even make sense for the definitions they provided.

Tennessee, Nebraska, and Miami are not tier 3 jobs. Sure, they've had tier 3 success for awhile. Mentioning them in the same tier as Baylor, Louisville, and Arizona State is comical.

The fact that we routinely land Top 10 in recruiting classes, attendance, and revenue in the midst of a down period proves as much.

Yea, I think people could make reasonable arguments for tier 2 and tier 3 based on the definitions. Then, when you look at the list, UT is no way tier 3. Baylor, Louisville, and Arizona State don't compare to UT. Nor does Stanford or TCU.

Tennessee has Knoxville as a location. The combination of elevation and latitude provide for perfect seasons, each ~3 months. Entertainment, food, nature - the Great Smokey Mountains National Park is right next door. The Tennessee River. The Volunteer Navy. The volunteer spirit. Loyalty. UT's student body is more diverse than the national average, and the male/female balance is just about even. Frack the rest of those institutions of higher learning. UT is heaven on earth. GBO.

If the criterion is recent success, they shouldn't bother evaluating things like facilities or fan support. Just let a computer add up the season-ending poll rankings and be done with. We are well aware of our recent lack of success, thank you very much.

Reactions: rdk4121
I refuse to open the link, so I will rest on what was posted.

Tennessee has 5 of the 20 top paid assistants in the SEC
Tennessee is in the Top 10 all time wins (I am not counting Yale or Harvard)
Tennessee is in the Top 10 all time bowl wins
Tennessee in in the Top 5 in attendance (historically 2)
Tennessee is in the Top 10 in expenditures for an athletic department
Tennessee is "historically" Top 10 in recruiting rankings
Tennessee's roster is typically 50% out of state
Tennessee has several national championships
tumblr_nwlursW2z81tmlgseo1_500.gif
There will be many who point out the absurdity of which teams are where, so I will not go there.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back