Tennessee 2022 Schedule is set

I love Tennessee. The Volunteers have been the focus of my sports fandom for 40 years. But I just don’t believe any more. I’ve seen nothing so far this season to suggest we’re moving in a positive direction - The whole “we’re scoring more points” argument is meaningless after we found a way to lose to Pitt - and THEY lost to Western Michigan the next game, I expect that we’re about to get the doors beat off of us by Florida this weekend in front of a national audience.

I used to get up on game day with a lot of excitement. My Saturdays generally revolved around kickoff. Now, I barely notice. I used to restock Vol gear each year, but I haven’t bought anything new for about two years.

And there was a time when I was anxiously looking at these new schedules to plan which big games I was going to travel back across the country to attend. Now, I ask myself why I’d pay all that money to spend a weekend being depressed about watching incompetence in person.

Sorry for the “confession,” my friends. It’s tough being a Volunteer fan right now. Despite my example of loyal fan enthusiasm (although it has been strained recently) over the years, my son has adopted another team - I tried not to push him one way or the other. He just looks at me with sympathy on game day. That might be the most depressing thing of all.

This is killing me, Smalls!

Depending on where you're coming from (and if they're still in business), Spirit Airlines flys to Latrobe, which is about 40 miles east of Pittsburgh.
Flying out of Knoxville or Asheville either one. I'm out near Dandridge area.

We lost to Pitt this year and GA ST last year. I'm not sure we're a ton better than anybody... LOL
So what about Pitt game. That’s not some horrible program crushing loss. And Ga State wasn’t last year and with a different staff

I love Tennessee. The Volunteers have been the focus of my sports fandom for 40 years. But I just don’t believe any more. I’ve seen nothing so far this season to suggest we’re moving in a positive direction - The whole “we’re scoring more points” argument is meaningless after we found a way to lose to Pitt - and THEY lost to Western Michigan the next game, I expect that we’re about to get the doors beat off of us by Florida this weekend in front of a national audience.

I used to get up on game day with a lot of excitement. My Saturdays generally revolved around kickoff. Now, I barely notice. I used to restock Vol gear each year, but I haven’t bought anything new for about two years.

And there was a time when I was anxiously looking at these new schedules to plan which big games I was going to travel back across the country to attend. Now, I ask myself why I’d pay all that money to spend a weekend being depressed about watching incompetence in person.

Sorry for the “confession,” my friends. It’s tough being a Volunteer fan right now. Despite my example of loyal fan enthusiasm (although it has been strained recently) over the years, my son has adopted another team - I tried not to push him one way or the other. He just looks at me with sympathy on game day. That might be the most depressing thing of all.

This is killing me, Smalls!
No offense but who cares that you are a weak fan

Why is it random? We have played Memphis and UCLA probably more than any other non conference team over the past 30 years. Memphis would make sense because they are in state. UCLA would be a good solid matchup with a PAC 12 opponent.
Other than Notre Dame/USC there’s not a single cross country yearly matchup. We’ve played them what 4 times from the 90s until today? There’s no historical connection ect.

To be clear I enjoy playing both teams and they are infinitely more intriguing than what we have scheduled currently, but yearly matchups are a little much.

So what about Pitt game. That’s not some horrible program crushing loss. And Ga State wasn’t last year and with a different staff
They just lost to one of those directional MI schools. They're not winning much this year. You said Memphis would never beat us. If we lost to GA ST last year, Memphis could've absolutely have beaten us. That's all I'm saying. We've lost to Vandy, UK, Pitt, GA ST, etc. We're not levels above Memphis by no means is my point.

They just lost to one of those directional MI schools. They're not winning much this year. You said Memphis would never beat us. If we lost to GA ST last year, Memphis could've absolutely have beaten us. That's all I'm saying. We've lost to Vandy, UK, Pitt, GA ST, etc. We're not levels above Memphis by no means is my point.
I think that got trolls sometimes. Just ignore about 70 percent of what he says.

Reactions: b_gann
Yes we are. And will always be above them

Boring and bland is all we can handle right now. There are only 3-4 sure wins in that schedule.
It's pathetic that the administration's response to poor results on the field isn't to demand better results, but rather to schedule worse opponents while also "modernizing" (AKA increasing) ticket prices.

Recruits that want to play games against teams with a pulse will go elsewhere, but our current players will have fond memories of their "big wins" against the likes of Akron.

No offense but who cares that you are a weak fan

These “real fan” stances are humorous. I figured that a short venting session with other fans could be cathartic, but I should have known something like this would pop up. Forty plus years of being a Volunteer is insufficient, I guess, right?

No big deal. Didn’t think anyone really cared that much. I know that I certainly don’t care about your assessment of “weak.” So, I guess we can agree on that.

VN Store

Back