Tennessean article with player quotes

I love JJJ, but saying people counted them out after the Colorado loss is interesting given that it was 100% the first sign of ridiculous inconsistency that we'd see again and again and again throughout the season.

So maybe it wasn't a reason to count them out, per se, but that showed the team's true identity.

I think confidence starts with the coach and when your constantly worried about being pulled when you mess up it affects your confidence. Barnes kind of had the Bobby Knight mentality. You know exactly when a player is coming out. He rarely lets a player play through mistakes. You miss an assignment on defense you ride the pine. You make a bad pass you ride the pine. Some players cant handle that pressure.

'I followed up on that with James to ask who was counting the Vols out.

“There were just people talking on social media,” he said. “Sometimes you don’t seek it out, but things get back to you. Things get sent to you.”

To remember that enough from November to mention it unsolicited after a loss in March, I’d suspect it wasn’t from random hoops aficionados. I’d imagine critics were probably from Tennessee’s own fanbase. And if you think the players on your teams don’t hear that stuff, well, they do.'

“There were just people talking on social media,” he said. “Sometimes you don’t seek it out, but things get back to you. Things get sent to you.”

To remember that enough from November to mention it unsolicited after a loss in March, I’d suspect it wasn’t from random hoops aficionados. I’d imagine critics were probably from Tennessee’s own fanbase. And if you think the players on your teams don’t hear that stuff, well, they do.'

Obnoxious fans are annoying, but you have to be aware when you commit to a top program that you’re going to hear these things. At some point you just have to tune out the nonsense.

Well, if your feelings are still hurt from social media 4 months ago, no wonder you wilted on the big stage….

Obnoxious fans are annoying, but you have to be aware when you commit to a top program that you’re going to hear these things. At some point you just have to tune out the nonsense.

I don't disagree that they need to tune out the nonsense, but it's also true that the Legions of the Miserable need to learn to produce a whole lot less of it. Two of our last three Sweet Sixteen teams have felt that fans were against them. I don't know what social media James was referring to, but we see how toxic this forum becomes after every loss and how relatively quiet it is even after big wins.

I think confidence starts with the coach and when your constantly worried about being pulled when you mess up it affects your confidence. Barnes kind of had the Bobby Knight mentality. You know exactly when a player is coming out. He rarely lets a player play through mistakes. You miss an assignment on defense you ride the pine. You make a bad pass you ride the pine. Some players cant handle that pressure.
I disagree. Which players on our team are so thin-skinned and fragile that they are unable to perform? Players get pulled from games all of the time and at all levels of athletics. Often when our guys get pulled, it is for some boneheaded play of not following the game plan. Other than Uros’ ubber-aggressiveness, I do not remember seeing players subbed out when making a hustle mistake. If a player is being lazy, then it signals he is either tired or decided not to follow the game plan. At that point, he needs to be pulled. Barnes often talks about being upset when players don’t take open shots. In those cases, he isn’t putting them on the bench because they missed, but because they wouldn’t take an open shot. I have never heard one of Barnes’ players, current or past, state they were scared of being benched and that caused them to not perform well.

I’m not going to defend our occasionally obnoxious fanbase for saying ridiculous things on social media, but if you’re going to play at this level, you absolutely have to be better at blocking out the noise. Unfortunately, it seems that JJJ has had a very hard time doing that throughout his career as he is constantly discussing it.

It is weird that he is still hung up on the Colorado loss. Speaks to some of the issues with this team.

Also, it’s very disappointing every time I hear the words “the other team wanted it more.” How can you NOT want a Final Four/National Championship like your life depends on it? Isn’t that the goal of every one who plays this game? How could you possibly let someone want that more than you? It’s such a frustrating comment to hear and we heard it multiple times this season.

Last edited:
I don't disagree that they need to tune out the nonsense, but it's also true that the Legions of the Miserable need to learn to produce a whole lot less of it. Two of our last three Sweet Sixteen teams have felt that fans were against them. I don't know what social media James was referring to, but we see how toxic this forum becomes after every loss and how relatively quiet it is even after big wins.
I've never saw it quiet after a big win we got best coach best players in College basketball.....see posts after Duke win.... and players reading and remembering social media from start of season to March u should be in gym working on your BB skills....

I've never saw it quiet after a big win we got best coach best players in College basketball.....see posts after Duke win.... and players reading and remembering social media from start of season to March u should be in gym working on your BB skills....

I'm not going to tally it up right now, but anyone who spends much time here can see that the number of posts and the number of different posters are regularly much higher after a loss than after a win.

I’m not going to defend our occasionally obnoxious fanbase for saying ridiculous things on social media, but if you’re going to play at this level, you absolutely have to be better at blocking out the noise. Unfortunately, it seems that JJJ has had a very hard time doing that throughout his career as he is constantly discussing it.

It is weird that he is still hung up on the Colorado loss. Speaks to some of the issues with this team.

Also, it’s very disappointing every time I hear the words “the other team wanted it more.” How can you NOT want a Final Four/National Championship like your life depends on it? Isn’t that the goal of every one who plays this game? How could you possibly let someone want that more than you? It’s such a frustrating comment to hear and we heard it multiple times this season.

Totally get it. But the reality is these are 18-22 year old kids who let’s be honest, are still knuckleheads lol. Being able to maintain focus isn’t something every player does. Tennessee looked very tentative and FAU capitalized. They threw a punch and we wilted.

Reactions: FeelVol

I will spare the details but the practices are grueling. While I’m all for ensuring a team is physical and well conditioned, the players need fresh legs down the stretch. TN began running out of gas in the 2nd half.

The “not wanting it more” comment is disturbing as it’s the second or third time JJJ has made that statement this season.

Maybe they were not having fun playing the game, who knows. If so, that’s a shame. But they seemed to be having fun after Duke win and the first half vs. FAU while Uros was flexing & saluting the bench after he scored a coiled of four footers.

Edit - I wish them all the best and it’s on me NOT to care as much, but fan is short for “fanatic,” so I think more than half of fan bases react.

Last edited:

To remember that enough from November to mention it unsolicited after a loss in March, I’d suspect it wasn’t from random hoops aficionados. I’d imagine critics were probably from Tennessee’s own fanbase. And if you think the players on your teams don’t hear that stuff, well, they do.'[/QUOTE

Probably true. But every fans base criticize their team, coaches, and/or players. Such is life in the world of sports. I recall parents yelling at my players during games, and they were only 8 yrs old, and it continued through high school.

Last edited:
Reactions: knoxvol52

Exactly. If you busted your butt during the off-season and season, then how can not want to win? They celebrated after the Duke win and said they weren’t done so not sure who is referring to. I could speculate with the poor play and lack of hustle by some but won’t go there.

Reactions: lynnh
I'm not going to tally it up right now, but anyone who spends much time here can see that the number of posts and the number of different posters are regularly much higher after a loss than after a win.

That’s the same for all fan bases in every sport, and to be honest life in general. You make a good point but we hear more about the negative crap in the world instead of the good.

This is not meant as a Bash on Barnes,but I believe the problem besides not having enough consistent scorers is the quality of defense that he requires from his players. the energy required to play this defense for 40 minutes is draining not only physically but mentally. The pattern was there late in the regular season and continued through post season. They played a half where their defense allowed about 20 points and then a half where they allowed close to 40. they even did it in the Duke game but MR Mysterious showed up in the 2nd and hung 27 points on them. The solution is more attention to offense and that includes recruiting so that you have at least 3 guys every game that can average 10 points a game. When ZZ went down we were down to one guy. No one else stepped up except the Mysterious Mr Texas Duke finn for one game. Recruit some offense please.

I disagree. Which players on our team are so thin-skinned and fragile that they are unable to perform? Players get pulled from games all of the time and at all levels of athletics. Often when our guys get pulled, it is for some boneheaded play of not following the game plan. Other than Uros’ ubber-aggressiveness, I do not remember seeing players subbed out when making a hustle mistake. If a player is being lazy, then it signals he is either tired or decided not to follow the game plan. At that point, he needs to be pulled. Barnes often talks about being upset when players don’t take open shots. In those cases, he isn’t putting them on the bench because they missed, but because they wouldn’t take an open shot. I have never heard one of Barnes’ players, current or past, state they were scared of being benched and that caused them to not perform well.
Players should have the confidence to make mistakes. When your trying to play perfect it causes mistakes. I like coaches that let players be aggressive and if they screw up lets them play through it. Kind if the way Pearl gave his players freedom. And no not saying i want Pearl back. Just a more laid back style of coaching.

So true. James has said this cop out response more than once. As a senior leader on the team, he should accept some responsibility for the loss, if FAU players wanted it more than he did. The reason we lost is because collectively we could not shoot straight. James has never been able to shoot straight. 6 NCAA tournament games where he shot 34% from FG (and 22% from 3 pt line). Maybe instead of reading social media posts he should have worked on his shot or actually learned how to be aggressive and drive to the basket. His statement, reveals alot in my opinion especially in bringing up the Colorado loss. What the heck is that about? Has been a great student athlete and representative for UT and I hope he has a solid pro career somewhere (likely overseas), but is also was an overrated 5 star at the end of his career.

Look, I love JJJ, but if he’s going to hang onto stuff random morons post on social media, life is going to be unnecessarily tough in some respects. I hate that these guys hear that stuff, and I really hate that people send it to them, but brush that junk off and be wise enough to know there will always be critics no matter what you do in life. I get that some people find motivation in it, but it almost seems more than that. Gotta brush it off and know it’s people being people and where there are people, there will always be critics and morons. You can’t let it get to you too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: savannahfan
Look, I love JJJ, but if he’s going to hang into stuff random morons post on social media, life is going to be unnecessarily tough in some respects. I hate that these guys hear that stuff, and I really hate that people send it to them, but brush that junk off and be wise enough to know there will always be critics no matter what you do in life. I get that some people find motivation in it, but it almost seems more than that. Gotta brush it off and know it’s people being people and where there are people, there will always be critics and morons. You can’t let it get to you too much.

I don't disagree, but when two of our three teams that have reached the Sweet Sixteen over the past decade feel that a significant part of our fanbase is against them, there's a problem.

VN Store

Back