Tellico Lake Area

I hate Tellico Lake and the Rarity Bay crap that sprang up around it. That land is stolen in my book.

Force people off of their land for a pittance, flood sacred Cherokee sites, and then sell the now prime lakefront properties to developers.

I wouldn't live there for free.

I hate Tellico Lake and the Rarity Bay crap that sprang up around it. That land is stolen in my book.

Force people off of their land for a pittance, flood sacred Cherokee sites, and then sell the now prime lakefront properties to developers.

I wouldn't live there for free.

Ummm...do you live in the United States?

Reactions: Roustabout
Ummm...do you live in the United States?

Sure do. Knoxville until a few weeks ago. I was at Tellico with many others attempting to recover Native artifacts before it was flooded. Salvaged what we could and turned it over to the people it meant something to.

Look at the history of the area. Aside from burying Native lands, the thry forced people off of their land offering them a fraction of it's value because after all, it was going to be under 15ft of water right? Funny how much if the land due to be flooded, never was. Instead it was handed off to developers so they could offer pristine waterfront property.

Nothing will change my belief that Tellico Lake was an atrocity.

So we are getting a little more serious about a future retirement location, so we came back to visit East TN this past weekend to look at some potential lake lots on Tellico Lake and parts of Fort Loudon Lake for a future home someday. The realtor took us out on their pontoon boat to see some of the places from the water.

One place that stood out and caught our eye from the water was this peninsula just past Tellico called Rarity Bay. We knew about it from online, but had never seen it. We still did not get to see it from the land, but from the water some of those houses looked like celebrity homes. Where in the world does all this money come from? Gorgeous homes.

We will come back in a couple of weeks to explore by car a little more, but are interested in any of your thoughts on areas that would be a good place to build a future home on the lake. We want it to be directly on the lake and for us to be allowed to have a dock at the property as well. We are not that close to retirement but are planning ahead. As a result, would love to invest in some land to build on in the future versus buy a prebuilt home since we do not want to upkeep a vacant home.

We do not want to be in the middle of the hustle and bustle at that time, but want to be within 45 minutes of it.

Any thoughts?
Rich retirees. I’d say 98% of resident are not from Tennessee.

Sure do. Knoxville until a few weeks ago. I was at Tellico with many others attempting to recover Native artifacts before it was flooded. Salvaged what we could and turned it over to the people it meant something to.

Look at the history of the area. Aside from burying Native lands, the thry forced people off of their land offering them a fraction of it's value because after all, it was going to be under 15ft of water right? Funny how much if the land due to be flooded, never was. Instead it was handed off to developers so they could offer pristine waterfront property.

Oh, I agree with you that developers won big in some cases at the expense of the prior residents, but my point is what you said about that area is sort of the same thing that happened to form these grand ole United States that I bet you and I are enjoying living in.

Taking the land that was to be flooded was necessary. Taking the thousands of acres that were not was criminal. Taking from the poor and giving to the rich

Taking the land that was to be flooded was necessary. Taking the thousands of acres that were not was criminal. Taking from the poor and giving to the rich
The land should have been purchased at FMV. Possibly with a premium. The land not covered by water that was purchased was not worth more until improved. It was improved when the lake was built by TVA. TVA should have sold that improved land to buyers at FMV which would have been at a much higher price, and it would typically be to developers if usable for that purchase.
However, TVA should have had a master plan which provided several types of land along the lake. A lot of land that would stay natural, Land for commercial use like boat docks and restaurants, and land for public use. Surely the had a master plan.

These same issues came up long before Tellico. I believe it was the last TVA Reservoir built. Norris was the first.

The Native American issue often shameful.

I've heard about this all my life from people that had to sell to TVA. Many of them relatives.

Last edited:
My mom's family farm near Euchee Landing in northern Meigs Co. was taken for Watts Bar Lake. Then TVA sold lakefront property ...

But, that was a long time ago.

I was very young when Tellico Lake was created but I recall something about the "snail darter."

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
I was very young when Tellico Lake was created but I recall something about the "snail darter."

Opposition used it to try to block the Tellico Dam build. It was an endangered species only found in the river that was being dammed. Turns out they were wrong, it showed up elsewhere. But they did manage to create delays and millions of dollars in additional costs.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Opposition used it to try to block the Tellico Dam build. It was an endangered species only found in the river that was being dammed. Turns out they were wrong, it showed up elsewhere. But they did manage to create delays and millions of dollars in additional costs.

Thanks for the info.

The 'opposition' was trying to save the last downstream section of the Little Tennessee River, formerly one of the best trout fishing streams of the Eastern U.S.

Instead, we have another lake formed by a dam with no power generating capabilities.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
The 'opposition' was trying to save the last downstream section of the Little Tennessee River, formerly one of the best trout fishing streams of the Eastern U.S.

Instead, we have another lake formed by a dam with no power generating capabilities.

Tellico Lake outflows generate power through Fort Loudon Dam.

Personally, I prefer boat rides and lake parties over trout fishing.

Reactions: AurantiacoFan
So we are getting a little more serious about a future retirement location, so we came back to visit East TN this past weekend to look at some potential lake lots on Tellico Lake and parts of Fort Loudon Lake for a future home someday. The realtor took us out on their pontoon boat to see some of the places from the water.

One place that stood out and caught our eye from the water was this peninsula just past Tellico called Rarity Bay. We knew about it from online, but had never seen it. We still did not get to see it from the land, but from the water some of those houses looked like celebrity homes. Where in the world does all this money come from? Gorgeous homes.

We will come back in a couple of weeks to explore by car a little more, but are interested in any of your thoughts on areas that would be a good place to build a future home on the lake. We want it to be directly on the lake and for us to be allowed to have a dock at the property as well. We are not that close to retirement but are planning ahead. As a result, would love to invest in some land to build on in the future versus buy a prebuilt home since we do not want to upkeep a vacant home.

We do not want to be in the middle of the hustle and bustle at that time, but want to be within 45 minutes of it.

Any thoughts?
Rarity is a really nice golf course - nice houses as you witnessed - be sure to always check out homeowner fees and other gotchas Their hoa's are crazy high. Just fyi.

VN Store

Back