TE Coaching Hire ???

I read he was the leading HC candidate at Lipscomb but I'm not sure if he took the job. If he wants to get into coaching, TE coach at UT seems like a good place to start. Although to play devil's advocate we really don't even know if he is a good coach or a good recruiter. What we do know is he doesn't belong in a booth. Could be a similar situation to Auburn having Cadillac on staff. Not really qualified, but why the hell not.

Right why the hell not>>>> It's not like we haven't "taken chances" on let's say unproven guys before. So if he doesn't work out we know how to replace them. It's not like we are "handing him the keys to the car" He would be like most staffers which are much like pit guys for race teams. Maybe not easily replaced, but replaceable at a lessor cost (monetary or otherwise) than top management.

I read he was the leading HC candidate at Lipscomb but I'm not sure if he took the job. If he wants to get into coaching, TE coach at UT seems like a good place to start. Although to play devil's advocate we really don't even know if he is a good coach or a good recruiter. What we do know is he doesn't belong in a booth. Could be a similar situation to Auburn having Cadillac on staff. Not really qualified, but why the hell not.
He did not take the job. He and the family wanted to stay in Texas...............

James Madison special teams coordinator/tight ends coach Grant Cain

Louisiana Tech inside wide receivers coach Trey Holtz

Mizzou offensive analyst Derek Shay

IDK..............Tossing stuff against the wall to see if it sticks...............:)

Right why the hell not>>>> It's not like we haven't "taken chances" on let's say unproven guys before. So if he doesn't work out we know how to replace them. It's not like we are "handing him the keys to the car" He would be like most staffers which are much like pit guys for race teams. Maybe not easily replaced, but replaceable at a lessor cost (monetary or otherwise) than top management.
I believe the “chances” Heupel takes are more heavily vetted than the many that have been undertaken by previous HC’s. Think Pope vs Larry Scott/Walt Wells/Mike Canales for Butch and Shelton Felton/Brian Niedermeyer/Joe Osovet for Pruitt…the latter two names for TE’s at one point (and I was an Osovet believer). I don’t believe “WTH let’s take a shot!” is in Heup’s vernacular.

Ooh ooh! Forgot Chris Weinke coaching RB’s for Pruitt!

James Madison special teams coordinator/tight ends coach Grant Cain

Louisiana Tech inside wide receivers coach Trey Holtz

Mizzou offensive analyst Derek Shay

IDK..............Tossing stuff against the wall to see if it sticks...............:)
Cain is more a special teams guru who also coaches TE’s but helluva name!

Derek Shay intrigues. Worked with TE’s at LSU before Mizzou and previously with Babers at Bowling Green. Previously worked at IMG…so recruiting ties.

Keep em going! You’re better at this than me. 😏

Former players that can’t coach do us little favors. Being part of a winning team where you get better is the best recruiting tool.

Reactions: Rocky Top T
I bet CJH's inbox is full of resumes. And most are good candidates. Interesting to see who he picks.

Thanks for posting all the names. It's been fun reading everyone's postings.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
It may help in recruiting. But you still haven’t really given anything other than him being amplayer that would signify he would be a good TEs coach. Is Georgias TE coach one od the best TEs to ever play? No. But he is likely gonna put Washington and Bowers in as first round picks.

Think about it. How is Witten any better than a bunch of D1 TE coaches that have been coaching TEa at the college level?
There’s no more reason to assume that he would be a poor position coach than there is to assume he would be a good one. He clearly knows what it takes to be successful at the position; the only question is whether he’s capable of effectively communicating that to players.

For all our talk about “VFLs” (and here I’m referring to multiple people in this thread, not you specifically, BOT) we sure do know how to eat our own around here. Look at the love the Auburn people have for Cadillac. If that was us we’d have been ready to run him out on a rail at the first opportunity. Smh.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
No idea. I would think Heupel has a conversation with Seth Littrell if he’s interested.

That would be a phenomenal hire. Only problem is he probably wouldn’t stay long and I don’t think CJH is looking for that

He’s been coaching high school in Texas and surely has made some connections down there in the past 1.5 years. Not to mention he played in Dallas for however many years and is one of the greatest tight ends to ever play the game. People know who Jason Witten is. Would only help to try and reel in some of those elite prospects.

Everyone is always just chasing a name. The gruden logic. I’ll take an experienced coach.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
SEC teams have 17 and 18 year olds on them. They are in the same age group…

So you’re really doing it? You’re really gonna try to idiotically compare coaching high school ball and coaching in the best conference in NCAA football that contributes huge amounts of talent to the NFL. I’m kind of surprised. Kind of not. But you can have that senseless conversation with yourself. Maybe someone else will take you up on it. I like to argue, but not about something that has 0 chance on one side if it.

It may help in recruiting. But you still haven’t really given anything other than him being amplayer that would signify he would be a good TEs coach. Is Georgias TE coach one od the best TEs to ever play? No. But he is likely gonna put Washington and Bowers in as first round picks.

Think about it. How is Witten any better than a bunch of D1 TE coaches that have been coaching TEa at the college level?
Using Washington and Bowers as an example is not helping your argument. They were going to be studs no matter where they went. Georgia just so happened to be the school they chose. Kind of sounds like recruiting won out, which is exactly what Jason Witten would be able to do.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
So you’re really doing it? You’re really gonna try to idiotically compare coaching high school ball and coaching in the best conference in NCAA football that contributes huge amounts of talent to the NFL. I’m kind of surprised. Kind of not. But you can have that senseless conversation with yourself. Maybe someone else will take you up on it. I like to argue, but not about something that has 0 chance on one side if it.
I am so high and mighty! My opinion is fact and nobody else’s opinion matters! I am right and you all are just peasants living in my world!

That’s all I am hearing from you 🤣

giphy.gif

I am so high and mighty! My opinion is fact and nobody else’s opinion matters! I am right and you all are just peasants living in my world!

That’s all I am hearing from you 🤣

Give me some good hard statistical reasons why your opinion is validated. Other than his name is Witten? How many high school coaches have you seen pulled to the NCAA to help coach for a top 5 ranked SEC team? I suspect this list will be very, very short if existent at all. Were you yelling gruden a few years ago?

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Give me some good hard statistical reasons why your opinion is validated. Other than his name is Witten? How many high school coaches have you seen pulled to the NCAA to help coach for a top 5 ranked SEC team? I suspect this list will be very, very short if existent at all. Were you yelling gruden a few years ago?
1,228 receptions
13,046 receiving yards
74 touchdowns

VN Store

Back