TE Coaching Hire ???

G-boro Vol

Now that the OC staff position is filled, we move on to the TE's coach. I've seen some think this is an outside hire or is it a GA or analysts already on staff. I think someone with strong recruiting ties to GA and FLA helps but strong recruiter is a big plus. What names is anyone hearing or whom do you want?

Reactions: Volfan1000
But why though?
I read he was the leading HC candidate at Lipscomb but I'm not sure if he took the job. If he wants to get into coaching, TE coach at UT seems like a good place to start. Although to play devil's advocate we really don't even know if he is a good coach or a good recruiter. What we do know is he doesn't belong in a booth. Could be a similar situation to Auburn having Cadillac on staff. Not really qualified, but why the hell not.

But why though?
He’s been coaching high school in Texas and surely has made some connections down there in the past 1.5 years. Not to mention he played in Dallas for however many years and is one of the greatest tight ends to ever play the game. People know who Jason Witten is. Would only help to try and reel in some of those elite prospects.

Last edited:
No doubt Jason Witten could write the book on how to play tight end. I'm sure there's a lot more to being a major college coach than knowing a position. T Martin didn't set the world on fire while here.
I mean Tee was fairly well regarded as a WR coach nationally before he got the Pruitt funk on him.

Love him. Great VFL. He needs to gain coaching experience before coaching at a place like Tennessee. See Jeff Saturday at the Colts for example. Great center, should be hall of gamer. Just didn’t need to be an interim in the League.

Tennessee is no one’s training ground.
Coaching is always a training ground. That's such a lazy argument. Our new OC was training for the job the last two years on campus. It was quite literally a training ground for the OC position at UT.

And the job in question is Tight Ends coach. He's clearly qualified

Love him. Great VFL. He needs to gain coaching experience before coaching at a place like Tennessee. See Jeff Saturday at the Colts for example. Great center, should be hall of gamer. Just didn’t need to be an interim in the League.

Tennessee is no one’s training ground.
Saturday is an interim head coach, which is different than a position coach. I would trust a 17-yr NFL veteran to coach TEs. Before he decided to coach where his kids attend school, he had interest from NFL and college teams to coach. Not sure Jason would want the time commitment that comes with P5 coaching/recruiting while his kids are young, but he would be a wonderful addition to the staff.

He’s been coaching high school in Texas and surely has made some connections down there in the past 1.5 years. Not to mention he played in Dallas for however many years and is one of the greatest tight ends to ever play the game. People know who Jason Witten is. Would only help to try and reel in some of those elite prospects.

Why does anyone think he would be a good college TE coach? Just because he played the position?

Saturday is an interim head coach, which is different than a position coach. I would trust a 17-yr NFL veteran to coach TEs. Before he decided to coach where his kids attend school, he had interest from NFL and college teams to coach. Not sure Jason would want the time commitment that comes with P5 coaching/recruiting while his kids are young, but he would be a wonderful addition to the staff.

Just because someone played a position doesn’t mean they are cut out to coach it.

This is a very important hire because I think the TE's are one spot in this offense that is underutilized. Not to mention Gloesh was one of the stronger recruiters on the staff. Not totally against Witten but is he the best candidate or the best VFL candidate.

Why does anyone think he would be a good college TE coach? Just because he played the position?
Teaching something at a high level is different from doing that thing at a high level, sure. But c’mon man; he didn’t just play the position. He’s one of the best TE’s to ever step on a football field. Top 10 if not top 5 in NFL history. That history of success alone would help in the recruiting department, and you don’t stay in the league as long as he did without being a student of the game as well as a baller.

Jason Witten didn't just play the position he absolutely excelled at the position. Coaching is teaching and Witten could teach it.
Does he want all the other headaches to go with Coaching? Time away from family? I'm sure he's OK financially.

Brian Hartline didn’t have near the career that Witten had. He came to OSU and has been an excellent addition to their staff. Plus he recruits at a high level. All with zero coaching experience before Ohio St.
Played 9 seasons in the NFL and had a 253 yard game in the first of two straight 1000 yard seasons. Not a HOF like Witten when he’s eligible but no scrub. He was a grad assistant for one season before the wife beater got booted. So not the same arc as Witten. My understanding is he’s already accepted the job at Lipscomb. Not the type to leave them high and dry imo.

Don’t be stupid. He didn’t just play the position. He is one of the best TEs of all time who had a 17-year career in the NFL. You don’t think he knows a thing or two about how to play the position? He knows how to succeed and he’s shown a desire to teach/coach. If he cares about the development of HS and collegiate athletes he will be a phenomenal coach.

VN Store

Back