Swing games to win in 2019

Queue the John Adams photo on a Massingales box!

I'm sorry, but we are gonna beat the snot out of Mizzou on the road next year. At the very least it should be in the toss up category.

I also don't think Florida and Georgia should be in the loss category either. Rather I would have EDIT: us as up to a 7 point underdogs.

And hey, if bama losses another 8 players to go with the 10 non-seniors they already lost....who knows.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t count Missouri as a for sure loss, I think that should definitely be characterized as a swing game. And argument could be made for Florida as well considering all they lose

Queue the John Adams photo on a Massingales box!

I'm sorry, but we are gonna beat the snot out of Mizzou on the road next year. At the very least it should be in the toss up category.

I also don't think Florida and Georgia should be in the loss category either. Rather I would have them as up to 7 point underdogs.

And hey, if bama losses another 8 players to go with the 10 non-seniors they already lost....who knows.

All this sunshine has blinded me.

Reactions: Titan05
Uhh don't see anything wrong with that prediction. Seems pretty obvious really. Need to win 3 gimmes and 3 50/50s so we can finally make a bowl

Reactions: swampfoxfan
After reading the article....

Spot on, if UT won all those games they would be 8-4, that would be an awesome season this year. Hopefully coupled with being competitive in the others.

The fact that folks see this as negative is amusing.

Winning all 5? Would be a monumental task. Ms St is likely favored, as would be usc. VU, UK, BYU are like 20-40%. Winning all 5 is slim, 5-10%

Why is Missouri not classified as a swing game?

In 2018 we got beat by great QB play, exception was FL and I believe a lot of that was nerves.

The QBs we faced were either experienced or talented. Our losses were to 2 were Heisman Trophy Candidates, Lock was exceptional, Shumer was an experience QB in a system. Frohm (no gimme) and Bently (we catch at home this year and he is not exceptional).

Too early to call.

I think he's absolutely right; TN needs to start well with winnable opportunities and finish well in November against opponents we historically trounce but haven't been recently. Aside from those, I'd be optimistic about 2020 if we don't lose by 20+ to any/most of the heavy hitters in 2019.
His list mirrored mine almost exactly. BYU will be well-disciplined, coming off a bowl game, flying under the radar, and presenting a qb who by all accounts is quite talented. TN won't compete with the big boys in the league, so one has to start somewhere when identifying winnable games that would serve as building blocks for improvement. BYU is dismissed by the ignorant just as WV was last year. Miss state represents an SEC West opponent. How was TN's record against the West over the last ten years? Oh yeah, god-freaking awful. Despite all this, TN should defend the home turf in both games. Can Phil Pruitt's squadron do it though? Maybe.

Reactions: NCFisher
Why is Missouri not classified as a swing game?

In 2018 we got beat by great QB play, exception was FL and I believe a lot of that was nerves.

The QBs we faced were either experienced or talented. Our losses were to 2 were Heisman Trophy Candidates, Lock was exceptional, Shumer was an experience QB in a system. Frohm (no gimme) and Bently (we catch at home this year and he is not exceptional).

Too early to call.

Maybe 100-36 over 2 years smell like domination? QB or not, they have excellent coaching. Maybe some of the best anywhere. We can say it's all their qb, but they've had 1000 yd rushers and we can't even score 20 pts on their defense.

Until our coaches prove they're innovative and great developers like Mizzou, I will be worried about that game. They are like UT in basketball. Stars matter less when you have excellent schemes and coaching, Pruitt's/Saban's dogma be damned. Dabo is proving it too with top 8-15 classes, no top 5s even.

VN Store

Back