Swain not buying CJP explanation on Maurer

Well I wanted those 50 yard line seats so I reviewed. I cant find a post you supported JG but I did see you also voted for JG to start last week in another poll then claimed it was an error/misunderstanding there as well.
No I didn't.

Who will be our starting quarterback next season?

I voted Jarette, because it's obvious that Pruitt will play him over better options. We've already seen it.

Clear as day. Nothing about it being an error/misunderstanding.

No fifty yard line seats for you.

Last edited:
From what I saw Maurer’s injury appeared to be more neck related than a concussion. Necks take a long time to heal. I hurt mine in a rugby match once, and it hurt for two years. Never missed a match because of it though.

While I’m not a doctor, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Our defense is winning ballgames. JG is doing a fine job of managing football games. I don't care what kind of swagger that our fans think Mauer brings. He makes poor decisions in the redzone. JG has been managing games just fine. We can win every game left on the schedule with JG.

Our defense is winning ballgames. JG is doing a fine job of managing football games. I don't care what kind of swagger that our fans think Mauer brings. He makes poor decisions in the redzone. JG has been managing games just fine. We can win every game left on the schedule with JG.

I like Maurer and think he gives us a better shot at winning, but that's just my opinion. I also worry about him getting seriously injured.

I trust JG more than Shrout at this point and according to the poll, most think the same.

Funny someone told me that 99% of the people that agreed with him that Shrout was a better option at QB than JG were right. Lol, that's funny on two different levels.

Exactly. The formula has been proven over several games against quality opposition. JG has had several glaring mistakes and he is who he is but in all he has been serviceable. And if BM is a no go he will get the majority of the snaps from here on out. 80-90% of the fanbase isn’t looking from CJP's perspective or they totally don’t understand the game.

He is not in love with JG and playing favorites, he’s playing the odds. If BM is good to go we’ll probably see him Sat. If he isn’t and JG is bad and we’re behind that is when you take a chance with JTS.

CJP is not going to gamble unless he has to. You don’t push in your chips till you see your hand.

Reactions: ClearwaterVol
I respect Swain and find I enjoy his commentary, I don't think he's correct with this one.

Are you people living under a rock? If Mauer doesn't play again, he can get a medical redshirt...

Player obtains a medical redshirt by applying for one through the NCAA following a season when they meet each of the following requirements:
  • The player must have suffered an injury during their senior year of high school, or during one of their four eligible seasons for college competition. (This does not provide for players who are already redshirting a season and are injured in practice.)
  • The injury suffered must be "incapacitating", meaning it must be a season-ending injury.
  • The injury must occur during the first half of the season.
  • The player must have competed in no more than 30% of the season or four games, whichever is greater.

These rules no longer apply, the four game rule now applies both to regular and injury-related redshirts.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
View attachment 236478

Your previous post reads a little differently when you dont edit half of it out. Lol
1bf1ff9e52d42ee99d679afdf7baf202.jpg

These rules no longer apply, the four game rule now applies both to regular and injury-related redshirts.
Hey DP,
Do you know if under the new rules if the NCAA will look at cases as purely black and white under the rules or will they look at each case individually and make a decision based on additional factors not clearly written in the rules?
You're a knowledgeable guy and I believe this is where a lot of the confusion comes from. Anything you know that could shed some light would be appreciated.
Just curious if you knew about there being any wiggle room in the rules.

Thanks

Jg literally threw an awful pick in the red zone right before halftime in the last game....

Reactions: Bukstar
Jg literally threw an awful pick in the red zone right before halftime in the last game....

We had the game in hand and he made a bad throw. I just think that right now we need a steady hand with our defense playing as well as it is right now.

Hey DP,
Do you know if under the new rules if the NCAA will look at cases as purely black and white under the rules or will they look at each case individually and make a decision based on additional factors not clearly written in the rules?
You're a knowledgeable guy and I believe this is where a lot of the confusion comes from. Anything you know that could shed some light would be appreciated.
Just curious if you knew about there being any wiggle room in the rules.

Thanks

From what UT compliance understands, the four games is a hard-and-fast rule in football. The old rules remain in the other sports (30% of total scheduled games, games must have been in the first half of the season), but it's a flat 4 games in football.

The "medical hardship waiver" in football now only applies to sixth season applications where two years have been lost due to injury. That's it.

Maurer has had 7 redzone trips.
4 ended in TD, 1 FG and 2 no scores.
57.2% ended in a TD / 28.5% no points
4.43 points per rz trip

JG has had 23 red zone trips
10 ended in TD, 6 FG, 7 no score
43.4 % ended in a TD / 30.4% no points
3.82 points per red zone trip.

It appears that your eyes are deceiving you. Maurer is more likely to score in the redzone and more likely that score will be a TD. Go to espn and visit the Vols page. Go to stats then click on JG. Select splits and see for yourself. His numbers are not as good as Maurer's for the season and they get worse when comparing the 2 in SEC games and even worse against the top 25.

I do agree we can win every game remaining with JG but that's because of our defense as you stated and the quality of competition we are playing not that JG is a better option in the redzone or a better game manager.

Go Vols

From what UT compliance understands, the four games is a hard-and-fast rule in football. The old rules remain in the other sports (30% of total scheduled games, games must have been in the first half of the season), but it's a flat 4 games in football.

The "medical hardship waiver" in football now only applies to sixth season applications where two years have been lost due to injury. That's it.
I appreciate your insight and thanks for the response. That clears a lot up on my end.

From what I saw Maurer’s injury appeared to be more neck related than a concussion. Necks take a long time to heal. I hurt mine in a rugby match once, and it hurt for two years. Never missed a match because of it though.

While I’m not a doctor, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
I strained my Lat how long will it take to heal?

Do people not follow football or just randomly decide when to spew garbage from their mouths?

He can't redshirt buddy.
Thought about making a thread and maybe I should . But who all is redshirting this year ?

Maurer has had 7 redzone trips.
4 ended in TD, 1 FG and 2 no scores.
57.2% ended in a TD / 28.5% no points
4.43 points per rz trip

JG has had 23 red zone trips
10 ended in TD, 6 FG, 7 no score
43.4 % ended in a TD / 30.4% no points
3.82 points per red zone trip.

It appears that your eyes are deceiving you. Maurer is more likely to score in the redzone and more likely that score will be a TD. Go to espn and visit the Vols page. Go to stats then click on JG. Select splits and see for yourself. His numbers are not as good as Maurer's for the season and they get worse when comparing the 2 in SEC games and even worse against the top 25.

I do agree we can win every game remaining with JG but that's because of our defense as you stated and the quality of competition we are playing not that JG is a better option in the redzone or a better game manager.

Go Vols
He doesn't have 4 scores in the redzone. The team may.

We didn't count redzone scores without a td pass as a positive when JG was the qb. It Its only TDs thrown.

BM has more redzone ints than tds.

I also don't see redzone turnover percentage.

Also splits doesn't show what you say.

In the redzone
BM
25% passing 3 ypa 1td 2ints 32.7 qb rating

JG
43.3% 3.9 ypa 7 tds 2ints 139.8 qb rating

JG has been much better in the redzone. You can't complete 25% with 1td and 2 ints and be better than the guy with 43.3% and 7 tds to 2 ints.

4 attempts in the redzone and 2 ints. I don't think it's possible to be worse in the redzone.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
He doesn't have 4 scores in the redzone. The team may.

We didn't count redzone scores without a td pass as a positive when JG was the qb. It Its only TDs thrown.

BM has more redzone ints than tds.

I also don't see redzone turnover percentage.

Also splits doesn't show what you say.

In the redzone
BM
25% passing 3 ypa 1td 2ints 32.7 qb rating

JG
43.3% 3.9 ypa 7 tds 2ints 139.8 qb rating

JG has been much better in the redzone. You can't complete 25% with 1td and 2 ints and be better than the guy with 43.3% and 7 tds to 2 ints.

4 attempts in the redzone and 2 ints. I don't think it's possible to be worse in the redzone.
You always say it's the team right? Blaming the early losses on the defense missing players not on JG alone right?

Well I used team stats and DIDN'T remove the 2 rushing TDs by Maurer or anything else the team did. I just used team redzone trips and outcomes. And again you pad JGs stats with cupcake teams instead of head 2 head or just SEC play.
Give it a rest you just cant handle the truth.

VN Store

Back