Swain not buying CJP explanation on Maurer

At what point does it dawn on someone that Guarantano folds when the lights come on? It doesn’t matter how you throw in practice if every throw you make in the game is a half second late and behind it’s intended target. Maybe Shrout isn’t very good, but we all know that Guarantano is a below average qb. That being said I don’t understand why you pull a red shirt freshmen for making one mistake while you leave a jr in that makes numerous bad reads and bad throws every time he steps on the field. Guarantano has proved he is not a winning qb, and I’m not sure we are good enough to beat Uk or mizzou in spite of that fact.
IF we lose 2 of these last 3 and JG is at the helm, I highly doubt he'll be welcome back in K-Town next season. When the pressure is on is when he seems to collapse. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we win 2 with JG.

no I'm not. Neither are the other 99 percent of the fans who agree with me.

Jarette folds like a cheap suit when the lights come on.

As of right now there are almost 6 times more people that think JG has a better shot at getting us to a bowl than Shrout.

Kentucky is one dimensional. Missouri plays Florida and Georgia before us, we have a bye week. Vandy is Vandy. I believe we win out...UNLESS we turn the ball over four or five time a game. The best shot at that happening is to put in a young QB who slings it around.
So you would rather see an anemic offense that can barely score? That has worked, and may work vs Kentucky if we can get ahead early, but we will have to score to beat mizzou. If Maurer starts he’s proved he can move the ball against anyone, so even if he throws a couple of picks, he still has the ability to put points on the board. That’s why I don’t see turnovers the same when Maurer is in the game as opposed to Guarantano. Guarantano struggles to move the offense, and tends to go into a shell and get worse when the game is on the line.

IF we lose 2 of these last 3 and JG is at the helm, I highly doubt he'll be welcome back in K-Town next season. When the pressure is on is when he seems to collapse. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we win 2 with JG.
I doubt Jg will be back regardless of what happens in the last 3 games.

It's not wrong, he can apply for a medical RS at the end of THIS season. It's in the rulebook but I guess that doesn't mean anything to you at all. I've seen numerous athletes that were in our service apply for medical RS at the end of their seasons. There are strict guidelines and it's in question whether his situation meets those guidelines but if he doesn't play any the rest of the year then he will no doubt apply for a medical RS.
You can't apply for a medical till the end of your 5th year. Read the Brandon Kennedy thread.

You can't really a freshman is 'struggling with the mental part'. Very few freshmen get the full scope of the offense in their first year or two.

Now, an upperclassman like Jarette? He definitely is missing the mental part. He should have had that at the beginning of last year.
Whether he’s ahead, behind, or on pace Shrout doesn’t have the mental part down.

IMO Maurer looks close enough to learn OJT. Shrout isn’t.

You can't apply for a medical till the end of your 5th year. Read the Brandon Kennedy thread.
I work in this industry, you can apply for medical redshirt after ANY season if you meet strict criteria, go read the rulebook instead of going by what someone said. If you work with a compliance department that works with the NCAA and have new information then please, by all means let us know where to find that documentation.

So you would rather see an anemic offense that can barely score? That has worked, and may work vs Kentucky if we can get ahead early, but we will have to score to beat mizzou. If Maurer starts he’s proved he can move the ball against anyone, so even if he throws a couple of picks, he still has the ability to put points on the board. That’s why I don’t see turnovers the same when Maurer is in the game as opposed to Guarantano. Guarantano struggles to move the offense, and tends to go into a shell and get worse when the game is on the line.

I wish every coach I ever faced had this philosphy. It is very important for this team to avoid turnovers at all costs.

If it were my call, IF BM is 100% and was having good practices I would start him over a one handed JG but he would have a very short leash (Actually I would have a hold of his facemask in case I had to jerk him out quick).

If there is any question about BM, maybe start JTS with the same short leash but he was real scary at the start of both halves last week.

Next JG but I would use JJ and wild dog package more.

JTS would see the field if we had a very comfortable lead as he is our only really healthy QB, he needs the experience, and it would make Mizzou prepare for 4 QBs.

Maybe, but DP is all around the people who would know and he doesn't make stuff up.... and it's not exactly hard to believe.
DeerPark is the most reliable source on this board I think, he's got a good history of being right over wrong over a long stretch of time. If he thinks BM is available to play then I'm gonna change my tune about him not playing the rest of the way. DP would also probably know if they were planning on applying for a medical, his last post leads me to believe that they are NOT going to apply for medical and they plan on playing him some down the stretch. If he doesn't get to play I still think they'll apply for a medical RS but I know believe that he'll get some time the next 3 games.

I work in this industry, you can apply for medical redshirt after ANY season if you meet strict criteria, go read the rulebook instead of going by what someone said. If you work with a compliance department that works with the NCAA and have new information then please, by all means let us know where to find that documentation.
I went by what Brandon Kennedy said and the staff. He would have got a medical last year if what you are saying was true but no he had to redshirt and at the end of this year if he wants he can apply for a medical.

I doubt Jg will be back regardless of what happens in the last 3 games.
Why, if he leads us to wins the next 4 games as the starter please tell me his reasoning as to why he would leave. Everything I've heard is that he loves the University of Tennessee and is committed to this team and this staff. If he has the starting job at the end of the year he will not transfer I believe. If he's not the starter at the end of the season is the ONLY way he transfers I believe.

I went by what Brandon Kennedy said and the staff. He would have got a medical last year if what you are saying was true but no he had to redshirt and at the end of this year if he wants he can apply for a medical.
Kennedy is a separate issue. He's already had a RS season is why he has to wait until after this season to apply for an ADDITIONAL RS season. You have 5 years to play 4, if you are asking for a 6th year then yes, you wait until the end of your 5th year to apply for a medical RS.

That's fine, it doesn't mean you're right. The majority is often wrong.

I was guaranteed that we would lose if JG played in the SC game.

Not by me you weren't.

Care to make a guarantee there, Whistle Britches?

I already made a guarantee, d**kweed. Stop asking me to repeat myself.

If the scrub goes the distance in all three, we lose at least one, maybe two.

If Maurer or Shrout get to go in before Jarette mucks it up too badly, we still may win all three. But only if Pruitt is smart enough to pull the scrub before it gets too bad.

Reactions: cgrish
The hilarious and tragic part in a UT Vols way of this QB "controversy" is that none of these guys have shown anything to this point that they are very good.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Kennedy is a separate issue. He's already had a RS season is why he has to wait until after this season to apply for an ADDITIONAL RS season. You have 5 years to play 4, if you are asking for a 6th year then yes, you wait until the end of your 5th year to apply for a medical RS.
He had to redshirt last year after 1 game he could have just did a medical and save his redshirt . He missed another year after a few games and couldn't redshirt because then if you played in one game you couldn't redshirt . Maurer and Kennedy are both the same examples and it is a rule a medical is your last option.

He had to redshirt last year after 1 game he could have just did a medical and save his redshirt or he missed another year after a few games and couldn't redshirt because then if you played in one game you couldn't redshirt . Maurer and Kennedy are both the same examples and it is a rule a medical is your last option.
He didn't RS LAST season, he did his RS while he was at Alabama.

No he redshirted last year after the fist game it's how he was able to come back.
No, he was a RS Jr last year when the season started. You do know that he did not play very much at Alabama don't you. He was redshirted his freshman year. Believe what you want.

The
I wish every coach I ever faced had this philosphy. It is very important for this team to avoid turnovers at all costs.

If it were my call, IF BM is 100% and was having good practices I would start him over a one handed JG but he would have a very short leash (Actually I would have a hold of his facemask in case I had to jerk him out quick).

If there is any question about BM, maybe start JTS with the same short leash but he was real scary at the start of both halves last week.

Next JG but I would use JJ and wild dog package more.

JTS would see the field if we had a very comfortable lead as he is our only really healthy QB, he needs the experience, and it would make Mizzou prepare for 4 QBs.
The short leash theory is exactly what keeps teams from ever having a top rated qb. It’s like saying if a qb doesn’t come out of hs ready to plug and play at a national championship caliber, he ain’t worth a s***.

Reactions: cgrish
Not by me you weren't.

I already made a guarantee, d**kweed. Stop asking me to repeat myself.

If the scrub goes the distance in all three, we lose at least one, maybe two.

If Maurer or Shrout get to go in before Jarette mucks it up too badly, we still may win all three. But only if Pruitt is smart enough to pull the scrub before it gets too bad.

I didn't realize you were the same person that said that. You blowhards are all the same. My bad.

Haha, as of now 7 times more people agree that JG is more likely to get us to a bowl over Shrout. Do you understand how WRONG that makes you? Lol.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
No, he was a RS Jr last year when the season started. You do know that he did not play very much at Alabama don't you. He was redshirted his freshman year. Believe what you want.
He was a Sr a grad transfer you do know last year was the first year you could play 4 games and redshirt and he played his freshman , sophomore, and junior year was hurt in sophomore and junior year. The NCAA will grant medical a 6th year to those that have missed more than half there playing career. Next year Maurer will be a true Sophomore.

Sorry Kennedy did red shirt his freshman year I thought he redshirted last year but he didn't he was a RS Jr but he still should have been able to medical last year but you can't like Maurer won't be able to.till the end of your last year

Last edited:

VN Store

Back