Swain not buying CJP explanation on Maurer

Vfl2407

Saying this morning that there is no way that Maurer was physically cleared to play vs UAB but then didn’t play.
Says he said that to protect Maurer and confuse the competition.
Says if he was healthy he would play ahead of someone with a cast on his hand.
Also said that CJP has no faith in Shrout.

Saying this morning that there is no way that Maurer was physically cleared to play vs UAB but then didn’t play.

Pretty obvious he’s not a believer in Shrout. Not going to beat UK or Mizzou kicking FG’s.

Really need Maurer down the stretch....team has a different swag with him QBing.

I agree with all of that. I think Mauer is done for the season.

Quite likely. Probably the best thing for the kid. He just needs some time to heal and get stronger in the off season. I've been prepared for JG/JJ as our qb tandem to finish things off. Shrout will be on the back burner until one of our linemen decides to throw a "look out" block for JG and he's also finished for the year. Heaven help us if Jennings goes down. .

So, does CJP just want our opponents to also have to prepare for Maurer by saying he might still play?
That’s my guess. Maybe they’re holding onto hope that something improves. Maybe he was cleared as far as a concussion but has another serious issue such as a neck injury. That first injury made it look like he’d break his neck. When he came off the field, on arm was completely limp.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
That’s my guess. Maybe they’re holding onto hope that something improves. Maybe he was cleared as far as a concussion but has another serious issue such as a neck injury. That first injury made it look like he’d break his neck. When he came off the field, on arm was completely limp.
Yes, on that first injury When he landed directly on his helmet, I was stunned that he got back up.
Was really afraid we’d see him carted off with major head, neck, or spinal trauma.

I agree, and I predicted almost that, but, I thought Brian would play and JG would sit and heal. CJP throwing shade on the competition.

Quite likely. Probably the best thing for the kid. He just needs some time to heal and get stronger in the off season. I've been prepared for JG/JJ as our qb tandem to finish things off. Shrout will be on the back burner until one of our linemen decides to throw a "look out" block for JG and he's also finished for the year. Heaven help us if Jennings goes down. .

Morris threw a couple of those "look out" blocks against UAB.

Because no coach has ever lied to make teams prepare for every QB available.

Everyone knows Jennings isn’t going to throw the ball very often if at all. Pruitt says the opposite just to throw a different angle at them tho

All of this "not letting anyone know who our starting QB is" is a farce. all 3 of our QB's are the same. One has a little bigger arm, one runs a little better, one makes poorer decisions in the red zone. BUT basically they are all pocket Qb's that can run for a 1st down if left wide open to run. None of them is going to wow you running the RPO. If you are prepared for one of them you prepared for all of them.
I know JG was the #1 rated blah,blah, blah.......he is not that QB.
Sorry Mr. Swain, I am not buying that Maurer is done, we just did not need him last week to win and Pruitt new it (make a rhyme every time).

I think the unfortunate part of this equation is that Pruitt is going to be forced to play Shrout sometime in the last 3 games. JG was lucky to not reinjure his hand vs UAB with a few of those hits.

I'm not surprised per say that he has zero confidence in Shrout given that his biggest recruiter in Tyson Helton is gone.

All of this "not letting anyone know who our starting QB is" is a farce. all 3 of our QB's are the same. One has a little bigger arm, one runs a little better, one makes poorer decisions in the red zone. BUT basically they are all pocket Qb's that can run for a 1st down if left wide open to run. None of them is going to wow you running the RPO. If you are prepared for one of them you prepared for all of them.
Sorry Mr. Swain, I am not buying that Maurer is done, we just did not need him last week to win and Pruitt new it (make a rhyme every time).
I don't think I have seen JG run for a 1st down.

Reactions: 08Vol and VolBricks
Man Maurer has wheels and he is faster mover faster release he even thinks quicker.

Reactions: 08Vol
I think the unfortunate part of this equation is that Pruitt is going to be forced to play Shrout sometime in the last 3 games. JG was lucky to not reinjure his hand vs UAB with a few of those hits.

I'm not surprised per say that he has zero confidence in Shrout given that his biggest recruiter in Tyson Helton is gone.
Who was OC when Maurer committed?

And that was against UAB. I would imagine that the SEC teams will hit him harder and more often. He stands in the pocket too long, (waiting on WR's to get open), that's why he takes hits. It's also why a lot of his throws are off. He doesn't lead the WR's as he should for a 4th year QB. He's still making freshman mistakes, and that will get him hurt again.

It's funny how everyone was saying bring Maurer back slowly, then he elects to hold him against UAB and now all the sudden it's he is out of the year. Maybe just maybe he thought another week off would be a good thing. He is practicing so that alone tells me he is probably cleared to play. If he is cleared, I expect him this week. GBO!

VN Store

Back