Survival/ Prepping / EDC / Knives

BEATBAMA12

So Tn Preppers (I haven't found a thread on this so I started one) I'm still new to the "lifestyle" and love to interact with other survivalist and preppers.
What is your reason for prepping?
How are you preparing for it?
Favorite Gear/ Suppliers?
Any EDC enthusiast? (Everday Carry)
Need help? Have Questions?
Suggestions?
Budget friendly? I prefer!
Favorite Knives?
Firearms / ammunition?

East seems to be a favorite place for "preppers" to retreat to, I'm in West Tn.
Anything goes! Look forward to reading your stories and suggestions!
Thanks . Josh B.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I'll go first!
West Tn is on The "New Madrid " fault line, so I'm prepping for a natural disaster, "THE BIG ONE"
I store seeds,can goods, dry goods, fire starting material, safe fuel (kerosene, wood,oil, grease) water , water purifying methods, hunting gear, fishing gear, first aid , knives , guns which I do not talk touch about (don't want to reveal everything)
I have bugout locations, caches, emergency routes. Family plans for a disaster.
I make knives and collect them, my favorite for survival which I carry hunting and fishing and in my car is my green river camp blade which I finished with custom wood scales and leather sheath .
On Instagram I found a guy named Chris in S. Florida who harvest resin wood and uses it as a fire starter, Home / Hagwoodusa ,
He grinds it into a dust and it's easy to light with a match/lighter or fire Stryker , it's all natural and repels mosquitoes!
I'm getting into the natural soap also, Hagwood has a line of soap bars that are amazing, they combat skin infections and leave you fresh! It also helps wife's eczyma.

Reactions: 3 people
Anywhere between 2-4 weeks worth of rations is all you should need. The human body can't go without water for more than 3 days on average. After 3 days you will start to see riots where the welfare/Obama voters go at it wit the cops. The sick and the elderly will either die from lack of medicine/food/treatment or die at the hands of the looters. Within a week, the suburbs will explode as the new aged yuppies/soccer mom/anti-gun crowds get looted next. If after 2-3 weeks things don't stabilize, the big in your face preppers will start to be targeted.

If we get to 4 weeks and order is not restored, we have bigger problems to worry about than just your rations lasting. That's why I believe 3-6 months of supplies is a waste.

I have 50 lbs of Sugar and Rice in plastic bottles and a big thing of honey in the basement. All supposedly can last forever. I've got a bankers box full of stuff like knives, flashlights, batteries, wind up radio, a bottle of Jack+tequila, purple hospital gloves, breathing masks, a bunch of band aids +1st aid kit, duck tape, a bunch of lighters, a tennis ball tube full of lint from dryer, $50 in dollar coins, space blankets + ponchos, a small thing of bleach.

Reactions: 2 people
Anywhere between 2-4 weeks worth of rations is all you should need. The human body can't go without water for more than 3 days on average. After 3 days you will start to see riots where the welfare/Obama voters go at it wit the cops. The sick and the elderly will either die from lack of medicine/food/treatment or die at the hands of the looters. Within a week, the suburbs will explode as the new aged yuppies/soccer mom/anti-gun crowds get looted next. If after 2-3 weeks things don't stabilize, the big in your face preppers will start to be targeted.

If we get to 4 weeks and order is not restored, we have bigger problems to worry about than just your rations lasting. That's why I believe 3-6 months of supplies is a waste.

I can see that. Anything more than a few weeks and you're going to need property in the country, gardening/canning knowledge, and guns/ammo to hunt. Rations will only get you so far.

Reactions: 1 person

Nailed it! Gotta think long term. I plan to disapear with my loved ones and a few friends. Truly I believe it will take months for order to be restored.

It's rarely mentioned, but look into crossbows or bows and arrows. If it gets out of control, you might be in situations where you don't want to give away your location by firing a gun.

Also, fishing line and lures. And rain barrels.

It's rarely mentioned, but look into crossbows or bows and arrows. If it gets out of control, you might be in situations where you don't want to give away your location by firing a gun.

Also, fishing line and lures. And rain barrels.

Not to mention arrows/bolts are reusable.

A TON of this depends on where you live/where you plan to try to go.

Not to mention arrows/bolts are reusable.

A TON of this depends on where you live/where you plan to try to go.

Was thinking the same thing - if you are smack in the middle of suburbia some of this just ain't feasible and/or defensible.

I could grow a garden and shoot vermin but if I'm the only one in my neighborhood prepared you can bet I'll have company.

What are we preparing for?
Whatever may happen that leads to the need for self-preservation and homestead living.

Well, about 3 years ago, my family and I took a different approach. I finally left Sevier County (Gatlinburg area) I could not take the tourist traffic and what my home town area had become. We specifically looked for a small secluded farm with the resources that would benefit preparation for sustained living.

Here is what we accomplished with more on slate….

Remote location:
30+ miles from any town of noticeable size. No neighbors very limited vehicle traffic. Farm is surrounded by 80k acre wildlife management area. Farmhouse sits way back off the road.

Water:
electric and hand-pump wells on property. Clear spring on property and a white-water year round creek with swimming hole (walking distance behind farm). Also a state protected river for fishing within 1 mile of farm.

Food:
Stored (dried/canned) supply, large garden + seed bank, many fruit trees (apples, peach, plum, pear, cherry) Berries (blackberry, raspberries). Medicinal herb and spice garden. Chickens + rabbits. Wildlife… corn fed Deer, squirrel and turkeys everywhere. Fishing spots within walking distance.

Fuel:
Wood everywhere plus a working understanding of water and fuel distilling process and equipment.

Protection:
Entire property fenced, remote afterthought of a location (I can work all day and never see or hear a car go by). 3 well trained German Shepherds with full run of the property (inside/outside dogs). Family is well armed and trained with fire arms and edged/blunt weapons. *my location is a bug out point for certain family and friends. Sites prepped for campers and sustained living. Most have cache and bug out supplies on site. Each brings firepower and specific skill sets.

Next steps:
Adding bee hives, dairy goats, mules, small number of milk and beef cattle, quail and setting up to raise cat fish + worm beds for fish food. Building a large additional barn with bunkhouse loft. Solar and wind electric systems. Spring house as a natural cooler and outhouses.

Weapons:
Trusty Red Rider with a compass in the stock

Later,

CH_V

I just ordered 2 buckets of Mountain House Classic & Essentials shelf food in case this Ebola blows up. I've been meaning to buy one of these buckets. The combo of them being on sale and Ebola, I pulled the trigger last night

What are we preparing for?
Whatever may happen that leads to the need for self-preservation and homestead living.

Well, about 3 years ago, my family and I took a different approach. I finally left Sevier County (Gatlinburg area) I could not take the tourist traffic and what my home town area had become. We specifically looked for a small secluded farm with the resources that would benefit preparation for sustained living.

Here is what we accomplished with more on slate….

Remote location:
30+ miles from any town of noticeable size. No neighbors very limited vehicle traffic. Farm is surrounded by 80k acre wildlife management area. Farmhouse sits way back off the road.

Water:
electric and hand-pump wells on property. Clear spring on property and a white-water year round creek with swimming hole (walking distance behind farm). Also a state protected river for fishing within 1 mile of farm.

Food:
Stored (dried/canned) supply, large garden + seed bank, many fruit trees (apples, peach, plum, pear, cherry) Berries (blackberry, raspberries). Medicinal herb and spice garden. Chickens + rabbits. Wildlife… corn fed Deer, squirrel and turkeys everywhere. Fishing spots within walking distance.

Fuel:
Wood everywhere plus a working understanding of water and fuel distilling process and equipment.

Protection:
Entire property fenced, remote afterthought of a location (I can work all day and never see or hear a car go by). 3 well trained German Shepherds with full run of the property (inside/outside dogs). Family is well armed and trained with fire arms and edged/blunt weapons. *my location is a bug out point for certain family and friends. Sites prepped for campers and sustained living. Most have cache and bug out supplies on site. Each brings firepower and specific skill sets.

Next steps:
Adding bee hives, dairy goats, mules, small number of milk and beef cattle, quail and setting up to raise cat fish + worm beds for fish food. Building a large additional barn with bunkhouse loft. Solar and wind electric systems. Spring house as a natural cooler and outhouses.

Weapons:
Trusty Red Rider with a compass in the stock

Later,

CH_V

Did anyone else think of Hershel reading this?

Nice assembly, CV.

Anyone have a suggestion on a must get/read Survival or Prepper books?

I know they are several available (as I have some) but what's your favorite.

Was thinking the same thing - if you are smack in the middle of suburbia some of this just ain't feasible and/or defensible.

I could grow a garden and shoot vermin but if I'm the only one in my neighborhood prepared you can bet I'll have company.

Some company is worth having around. Will need to grow your clan.

Anyone have a suggestion on a must get/read Survival or Prepper books?

I know they are several available (as I have some) but what's your favorite.

A lot of people like to point to Rawles' book(s) as the end all, be all of prepping. While it's certainly helpful, they are like a wet dream of preperdom.

Best advice I could give on the "prepper" books are subject matter specific items. Like gardening or small engine repair or woodworking. Most of them aren't necessarily labeled as preparedness types, the information is invaluable.

Did anyone else think of Hershel reading this?

Nice assembly, CV.

Thanks, The wife loves that show...

The good thing about all of this is we are not consumed with prepping or the lifestyle. It just fits how we were raised to manage and replenish resources as farmers.

I know some really good folks that all they do is worry, fret, focus on prepping and dwell on all the bad things going on in this world. You can't enjoy life that way.

take care,

CH_V

Does getting on Copperhead_Vol's good side and/or having better aim comprise a plan?

LOL... A bunch of the guys that I work with are always discussing the same thing. Asking me how they can earn "Apocalypse bug out points" to get them out to the farm if things go bad. Most are/were military and have resources and skill-sets that would benefit the situation.

One city boy has been trying to come up with something that will make him a viable part of a survival group for the past few years. So far the best he has come up with is that he got his hot wife new breast implants... his thought was we could trade her as a commodity much like moonshine / medical supplies. It is pretty safe to assume he has not vetted this plan with his wife...

I finally let him know that I decided his hot wife is in, but he is still a liability…. :)

Be safe,

CH_V

That's hilarious. Would love to be a fly on the wall when he breaches the news to his hot wife :D

I have watched the last batch of shine video Popcorn made several times and am willing to run the still if that helps. Also, I can smell a copperhead from a good distance if you want someone to walk point.

Thought this was a good little thread that deserved a bump for further discussion!

Yeah after focusing on school and other priorities I have returned to VolNation! I am a knife collector among many escape items. How about you all?

VN Store

Back