Survival/ Prepping / EDC / Knives

I have mentioned in other threads my concerns regarding our agricultural supply chain issues and our precarious financial system. I have been a believer in investing in physical precious metals and stockpiling high value consumables. Beyond that we have close to if not more than a years worth of food on hand. We own 2 farms. A small homestead style farm on 12 acres with 2 wells, a fairly reliable spring, about 5 acres of hardwoods and good gardening soil. We have a small greenhouse there but I am thinking of expanding. My family owns our beef operation that is currently a bit over 300 acres. It is not as isolated but still is in a sparsely populated area. The advantage it offers is a freestall barn and several other useful barns and buildings (former dairy infrastructure ) and enough area under roof that we could easily run dozens of beef cattle under moderate protection. It also has multiple wells and more land than we would want to farm under adverse conditions. We are well armed and know the terrain well. My wife, daughter and mom are all knowledgeable in canning. We are not "doomsday preppers". I do not set around dwelling on unlikely scenarios. I did make the decision a few years back that if the unlikely occurs, I will be as prepared as is possible short of moving underground.

Now you're talking. Heirloom seeds and the knowledge of how to raise them and preserve them are critical for a long term tragedy event. Also understanding that if things get real bad there may not be electricity for days or weeks at times. Our ancestors buried and dried their food. Learn how to do that. I dug a potato clamp last year and was able to preserve potatoes, carrots, and onions all winter long buried under ground at the edge of my garden.

Remember that it takes 1 acre of properly rotated spring, summer, and fall crops to feed a family of 4 for a year.

This is a wonderful site to learn how to prep and grow and harvest heirloom vegetable seeds.

Grandpappy's Official Home Page | Robert Wayne Atkins, P.E.

That is a great site

VN Store

Back