Super Hero Fatigue

LosingFaithVol

Anyone else besides me suffering from cinematic superhero fatigue? Still an avid comic book reader, but I feel the movies with all its metaphysical world ending battles are getting to be a bit too much!
As I get older, I find myself preferring the action hero (Bond, Indiana Jones, Ridley, and etc) over the superhero.

Reactions: FallCreekVols
Anyone else besides me suffering from cinematic superhero fatigue? Still an avid comic book reader, but I feel the movies with all its metaphysical world ending battles are getting to be a bit too much!
As I get older, I find myself preferring the action hero (Bond, Indiana Jones, Ridley, and etc) over the superhero.

Negative

My only complaint about Super Hero movies is there is a younger audience that is only getting their fix from the movies and not even attempting to read the source material.

Itโ€™s actually why I havenโ€™t let my kids watch the movies yet. I want to foster reading first. Movies second.

Recently my wife has been doing the same thing with Harry Potter. She reads them the books at night then we watch a movie When each book is finished. The we try to encourage discussion about all the details from the book that were left out of the movie.

Last edited:
Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Hmmm....you get superhero fatigue just as Captain Marvel is coming out, a movie you've slammed as "liberal agenda".

Mmmmmhmmmmmm
Actually, it started with Civil War and continued thru Ragnarok. Finally got around to watching Infinity War and Ant-man and The Wasp yesterday on Netflix. While Infinity War is just okay, it feels sort of like a chore to get thru some of the movies.

My only complaint about Super Hero movies is there is a younger audience that is only getting their fix from the movies and not even attempting to read the source material.

Itโ€™s actually why I havenโ€™t let my kids watch the movies yet. I want to foster reading first. Movies second.

Recently my wife has been doing the same thing with Harry Potter. She reads them the books at night then we watch a movie When each book is finished. The we try to encourage discussion about all the details from the book that were left out of the movie.
Nothing beats the source material! What books are you letting your kids read?

Actually, it started with Civil War and continued thru Ragnarok. Finally got around to watching Infinity War and Ant-man and The Wasp yesterday on Netflix. While Infinity War is just okay, it feels sort of like a chore to get thru some of the movies.

Sounds like you just need to move on if you thought Infinity War was "just okay". In fact if you thought it was a chore getting through the last 4 or 5 movies, then clearly these movies aren't for you anymore.

Sounds like you just need to move on if you thought Infinity War was "just okay". In fact if you thought it was a chore getting through the last 4 or 5 movies, then clearly these movies aren't for you anymore.
Hence the reason I no longer go to see these in the theaters and started this post just to see if others are starting tofeel the same way.
Because of so many superhero flicks every year, we no longer get movies like The Godfather, Jaws, Back To The Future, and etc. Just really feels like the standard superhero flick is becoming the very definition of Hollywood junkfood.

Last edited:
Nothing beats the source material! What books are you letting your kids read?

The oldest one is 7 and he still kinda looks at reading as a chore right now. The 5 year old is just getting started learning to read. Then a I have a 4 year old.

As they get a little older Iโ€™ll start introducing them to early Spider-Man, Hulks, FF, and John Byrne Superman. That is the stuff I got into around 8-9 years old. I want to expose them to different eras and hope something grabs them.

The oldest one is 7 and he still kinda looks at reading as a chore right now. The 5 year old is just getting started learning to read. Then a I have a 4 year old.

As they get a little older Iโ€™ll start introducing them to early Spider-Man, Hulks, FF, and John Byrne Superman. That is the stuff I got into around 8-9 years old. I want to expose them to different eras and hope something grabs them.
Might can start the youngest to reading Carl Barks / Don Rosa's Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge trades.

How long did fans want to see a vision of what they read as kids get translated to the big screen without looking ridiculous?

Comic book movies were always a thing.

The tech finally caught up with the demand. Now you have fatigue?

Granted with Marvel knocking practically every property they have out of the park and DC continuing to step on it's own johnson, it can seem repetitive.

Gotta appreciate what you have.

How long did fans want to see a vision of what they read as kids get translated to the big screen without looking ridiculous?

Comic book movies were always a thing.

The tech finally caught up with the demand. Now you have fatigue?

Granted with Marvel knocking practically every property they have out of the park and DC continuing to step on it's own johnson, it can seem repetitive.

Gotta appreciate what you have.

Marvel is only putting out 2-3 per year. But throw in DC attempting 1 or 2 per year plus the occasional X-Men movie from Fox (soon to be back at Marvel).

We are talking about 6-ish movies per year. Is one superhero movie every other month too much?

We are still getting other blockbusters like Jurassic World, Star Wars, Harry Potter spin-off, the latest Speilberg spectacle, and randoms like The Meg, Wold Engine, Alita Battle Angel, Skyscraper (or whatever else The Rock is doing).

I dont get fatigued because i simply ignore most of them. If it wasnt a hero i liked as a kid..i am not going to watch the movie unless a friend whose opinion i respect says it was great or something. Have been spared a bunch of wasted time this way. The Xmen cartoons were my favorite as a kid, there werent that many episodes made, so it wasnt like GI JoE or tranformers that came on every day. It was a Saturday morning delight...back when Saturday morn was a great time to be a kid. I was very happy that the xmen movies focused more on the Wolverine plotline...he was always my favorite super hero? If you loosely interpret that name. 1 thing i hate is the absence of Gambit...he was awesome, and the soexial effects of today could make his superpower look so very cool...any object he touched could become a grenade/ bomb...that would be neat as a part of a group. I think the Xmen movies have been the best of the bunch so far, though i am biased,..the batman versus superman movie was awesome as well as the avengers. The newest one with Thanos was amazing...they a absolutely brawled from opening credits to final buzzer...almost entirely combat...seemed like maybe 15 minutes of plot development in the whole movie...which tells you that it was made for real fans...people who already knew the characters and didnt need introductions or development...it was. great. Also was the 1st one where the good guys had perhaps the single most. Catastrophic loss in the history of hero movies...wow. i didnt think it would be that good bc i am not a huge avengers fan...it was amazing.

I feel the fatigue when the movies aren't good, but Marvel has been on a hot streak. I do get tired of stories where the stakes are so high. All 4 Avengers movies are about different villains trying to conquer the human race. Sometimes it feels like everybody is just trying to out-Michael Bay each other.

Captain Marvel's gonna suck just like Ghostbusters and The Last Jedi. I don't need to tip toe around it. Feminism is cancer. The box office will prove it.

So in other words you know the movie will be success but you needed the world to know that you're a idiot.
If those words are your perception sure. I didn't realize we had someone who could speak for the world here. You must be quite busy constantly, thank you for taking the time to correctly frame my opinion so that others can understand.

If those words are your perception sure. I didn't realize we had someone who could speak for the world here. You must be quite busy constantly, thank you for taking the time to correctly frame my opinion so that others can understand.
Thanks for clarifying that you're wrong.

VN Store

Back