Suggestions on a smoker

I enjoyed mine while it was working. When I first had issues, I felt like customer service was knowledgeable and responsive. Not so much the last couple times. Lots of people love them and have no problems though.

I called rec-teq with a question and had a call back is a short while. Ordered on Saturday and it was shipped out yesterday. Looking forward to getting started with it.
There's a bunch on both sides (as with most anything in this world).

I just sold my Traeger and my RT-2500 BFG is in transit. Can’t wait for it to get here!

The guy who bought my Traeger added it to his collection of a half dozen or so. Was so happy that he left me with a bottle of Buffalo Trace Single Barrel Select.

To add to my story - I also had a wheel on the cart that was defective, I got off the phone doing the trouble shooting at 3:30 central time; got an invoice for the replacement (warranty - no charge) at 3:39.

I have a Primo 400 "XL". Love it. Use a Flame Boss 200 to control it and have never had to worry about a thing. Vac the ash, blow the horn and floor it.

Reactions: Boca Vol
update on the Rec-teq. Once I got the old pellets out and things were working properly I did rib roast at 250 with Kingsford Cherry pellets. Worked like a charm - rarely wavered from 250 (about 2.5 hours).

As for the replacement wheel. It came yesterday (48 hours from my call - with all the Christmas rush). Pretty pleased with the customer service. Only hiccup is they sent me the wrong part.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Rec tec is amazing. Customer service is top notch and their smokers are built great. Really good warranty too.

I’m in the market to buy my first smoker/pellet grill. Never owned one before and when liking them up online there’s a ton of options. Wanting something that has an app so I can control the temp with my phone. Any suggestions?
If you see one you like that doesn’t have the app get what you really want. You by buy meat thermometers that will have the app and do multiple probes.
I didn’t sink slot of money into mine. I have a barrel smoker that is very efficient on coal, and an electric master built that so far had exceeded all expectations.

I had a pellet heater in my garage.
Every time I get around food cooked on pellets now I puke.
It is to me as nasty as using charcoal lighter fluid.
I enjoy setting around watching the temp and drinking beer while smoking
I don't need a phone app to cook pig.
I no longer smoke competitively, I use a Weber kettle for my family use.
Works fine.

Reactions: Go aeiou
As a cool story, bro I submit:
I was talking to Myron Mixon at a national competition around the time pellet grills became the new hot thing . It was his opinion that if a competitor turned in an entry cooked on pellets any Certified BBQ Judge would spit it out and go looking for a dog to lick its ass to get the taste out of his mouth. Mixon is a salty, opinionated bastard. We got along great.

Last edited:
The problem with pits is they require a LOT of fuel and most are too large for family use.
I saw the largest pit in the world once.
I know why there are few trees in Texas.
But what do Texans know bout BBQ. They eat brisket, that ain't even pig.

I've been around them all my life. My grandfather had one and my dad currently has one. Burning hickory down to coals and shoveling them in the pit all night is a real hassle. We only use it once or twice a year when we have a big gathering. Used for chickens and pigs (and bologna and sausage), but not much brisket.

Reactions: tnutater
I've been around them all my life. My grandfather had one and my dad currently has one. Burning hickory down to coals and shoveling them in the pit all night is a real hassle. We only use it once or twice a year when we have a big gathering. Used for chickens and pigs (and bologna and sausage), but not much brisket.
No self respecting Texican would use any thing but mesquite for their brisket.
Brisket reminds me of an old Chuck Taylor sole soaked in liquid smoke. Nasty and tough.
Texicans are different, that is why we ran them out of Tennessee hundreds of years ago.

Way back when, I helped fire a pit with hickory for a July 4th shin dig.
I never knew what hot was until then. Hickory wood burns hotter than any other.
I will buy everyone a McRib from the golden arches before I ever do that again.

Reactions: clarksvol00

VN Store

Back