Suggestions on a smoker

Sin City Vol

I’m in the market to buy my first smoker/pellet grill. Never owned one before and when liking them up online there’s a ton of options. Wanting something that has an app so I can control the temp with my phone. Any suggestions?

I’m in the market to buy my first smoker/pellet grill. Never owned one before and when liking them up online there’s a ton of options. Wanting something that has an app so I can control the temp with my phone. Any suggestions?
We started out with an electric. It worked fine but the heating element kept tripping the breaker.
I think @AirVol uses an electric. Recently we upgraded to a larger capacity, pellet smoker (Pit Boss Austin XL). Really like it. It is reliable and does a consistent cook every time. It cost about $500. It is larger and not as easy to store when not in use. I think @NorthDallas40 uses a pellet smoker.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sin City Vol
We started out with an electric. It worked fine but the heating element kept tripping the breaker.
I think @AirVol uses an electric. Recently we upgraded to a larger capacity, pellet smoker (Pit Boss Austin XL). Really like it. It is reliable and does a consistent cook every time. It cost about $500. It is larger and not as easy to store when not in use. I think @NorthDallas40 uses a pellet smoker.
Indeed I do have a pellet smoker mine is a Traeger. There are several in that league at the Pit Boss line is just as good. I added some wireless temp probes to monitor temps remotely and that’s about it. Pellet smokers are easy peasy I don’t really have anything negative to say about them.

I have the Rec Tec 340. Large enough for my needs. Supposedly has great warranty service; I'm about to find out and will report back.

App works well and it's rock solid construction.

Traeger. My son got the one that has an app and can control everything from a smart phone. He loves it and I’m jealous, as @McDad said I do have the Pit Boss Pro series, can smoke 6 butts and I like it. Only con I can see is adding water every 2 hours or so to the pan.

Here's one with Christmas red wrapping

d8c714ca0c08a8ed91b4e508f6064adc.jpg

Reactions: malinoisvol
I have owned a Big Green Egg and a Camp Chef Pellet grill. We are moving and I'm getting an outdoor kitchen and I'm going with Yoder YS640. There is no denying the taste on a Green Egg is exceptional - I just got tired of dealing with the charcoal, having to light it and the constant cleaning out of the ash. I love my Camp Chef grill, adding pellets is easy and you simply just set your desired temp and the clean up is a snap. I do vacuum out the fine ash about every 5 or 6 times I've used it. I find the taste is still exceptional and honestly not a big enough difference IMO to go back to an Egg.

I have owned a Big Green Egg and a Camp Chef Pellet grill. We are moving and I'm getting an outdoor kitchen and I'm going with Yoder YS640. There is no denying the taste on a Green Egg is exceptional - I just got tired of dealing with the charcoal, having to light it and the constant cleaning out of the ash. I love my Camp Chef grill, adding pellets is easy and you simply just set your desired temp and the clean up is a snap. I do vacuum out the fine ash about every 5 or 6 times I've used it. I find the taste is still exceptional and honestly not a big enough difference IMO to go back to an Egg.

Similar experience.

Reactions: chattavol420
Have a friend with a Weber Smokey Mountain and a friend with a Traeger. I don't have either but have been interested in getting into it.

There are so many options that work well these days. What's your price range? Do you have a grill already? You might be able to mod it. Or are you looking for a dedicated separate unit?

Last edited:
Have a friend with a Weber Smokey Mountain and a friend with a Traeger. I don't have either but have been interested in getting into it.
I enjoy the process. Electric smokers have been around a while and produce fine barbecue. Just depends on what your priorities are. The pellet grills are nice. Memphis has always had very nice ones but I haven’t really kept up on the scene.

We bought a bluetooth electric smoker on sale several years ago just to try it out because it was fairly cheap. Thing works awesome and is incredibly simple to deal with, if you're uneasy about keeping temps and smoke, etc, consistent I highly recommend trying an electric one.

VN Store

Back