Suarez, Darby, Puckett, Striplin

plumbervol

What are we going to do with four of them on the roster? Marta is hurt but she seems to have an upside but she lacks spring in her legs to get 2nd line rebounds, She is listed as a G/F she dribbles the ball chin high and she cannot match up with SEC g/f defensively. She is BB smart and a great passer but passes up good shots. She tried to post up inside last night a few times and just ball slapped in her face. She also seems to lack quickness and foot work to block out in the paint area. A true tweener IMO. Wish she would grow a couple of inches in the offseason.

Darby most of the above but has a nice 3 point stroke but lacks the bb smarts of Marta and she is a bit shorter.

From what I read of Puckett and Striplin they seem to fit the same mold. Puckett more of a face up forward and Striplin a short post player who bangs?

Somebody help me here? The 2 guards in this class seem to be what we need if they live up to their potential. We are losing 2 of our 6-7 players who are at least SEC top 20 talent players on a short roster IMO. Davis is elite as a 3/4 and just an exceptional athlete and elite college BB player. You might bring in contributors but you cannot replace her, KASI is 6-4 or bigger with a big ole broad PF basketball butt who can play and box out at this level. Striplin might be able to help as a 4 under the basket if her hype is accurate, she probably is a bit more athletic than Kasi.

It just seems to me to be a lot of slots being filled with players of the same general build and talents.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
What are we going to do with four of them on the roster? Marta is hurt but she seems to have an upside but she lacks spring in her legs to get 2nd line rebounds, She is listed as a G/F she dribbles the ball chin high and she cannot match up with SEC g/f defensively. She is BB smart and a great passer but passes up good shots. She tried to post up inside last night a few times and just ball slapped in her face. She also seems to lack quickness and foot work to block out in the paint area. A true tweener IMO. Wish she would grow a couple of inches in the offseason.

Darby most of the above but has a nice 3 point stroke but lacks the bb smarts of Marta and she is a bit shorter.

From what I read of Puckett and Striplin they seem to fit the same mold. Puckett more of a face up forward and Striplin a short post player who bangs?

Somebody help me here? The 2 guards in this class seem to be what we need if they live up to their potential. We are losing 2 of our 6-7 players who are at least SEC top 20 talent players on a short roster IMO. Davis is elite as a 3/4 and just an exceptional athlete and elite college BB player. You might bring in contributors but you cannot replace her, KASI is 6-4 or bigger with a big ole broad PF basketball butt who can play and box out at this level. Striplin might be able to help as a 4 under the basket if her hype is accurate, she probably is a bit more athletic than Kasi.

It just seems to me to be a lot of slots being filled with players of the same general build and talents.

The thing is if Puckett is 6’2” and striplin 6’2/6’3” i think what it does add is shooting and opening up the floor at that 4 position. If you bring in a player like Ayanna Patterson who can be a hybrid 3/4 then it gets interesting lol

Striplin has seemingly gotten into a shape that allows her to get up and down the court a little more if they put muscle on her she does the things like blocking out and body position to rebound. She can also put it on the floor for a pull up jumper and if she gets fouled she hit like 34 free throws in a row lol

What do you mean by four of "them"? ;)

You've just named 4 players that shoot the ball well and can play and defend multiple positions. I think the big question is if are they up for SEC level defense? Marta was ok for a freshman and blocked out well before her injury. We just haven't seen enough of the others to know.

Expect sophomores and freshmen on this years team to move up in ability next year. They will have to for us to be a better team next season. Miles and Wynn add speed to the perimeter and I am expecting Wynn to be a key sub next season even as a freshman. Miles is a very quick player that needs to get a lot better offensively from what I've seen. Striplin and Puckett should be quality players off the bench should be able to give us a few minutes per game without our efficiency going down very much. I am hoping Green will be well from her injury and will return to the team next season. She will ease the blow of losing KK.

The big loss is Davis no one from the freshman class or on the present roster that can do what she does. You have to hope players like Horston and Key will improve enough over the summer to take up most of her scoring and rebounding in games. I'd like to see Walker come back and be able to play without the brace on her leg or at least a modified less heavy one. You would think if there is a star player that enters the portal Tennessee would be very receptive to them.

The goal will certainly be for every player on the current roster that is returning to be much improved over their present ability. Usually freshmen are much better players as sophomores and sophomores start reaching their peak ability as juniors. Right now without knowing who will come back or who will join the roster other than the freshmen I would say the starters and depth chart would look like this:

PF- Green Striplin
WF- Burrell Suarez Puckett
C- Key Saunders
2G-Horston Wynn Darby Rennie
PG-Walker Salary Miles

Enjoy this season we are screwed when David and Burrell are gone. At least we have Rae for one more year hopefully.

I am hoping Green will be well from her injury and will return to the team next season. She will ease the blow of losing KK.

PF- Green Striplin
I would hope Salary at 6' could play some 2G and Walker could play most of the minutes at PG with Miles slowly being groomed and developed to contribute by tourny time. Horston could give some time at wf to help offensive and defense when needed. Saunders needs boot camp, a trainer and aggressiveness. From the look of the roster we are going to need her or a transfer....... Can Green come back? That would be great. Looks to me like we are counting on Striplin being ready to contribute the minute she walks on campus

I would hope Salary at 6' could play some 2G and Walker could play most of the minutes at PG with Miles slowly being groomed and developed to contribute by tourny time. Horston could give some time at wf to help offensive and defense when needed. Saunders needs boot camp, a trainer and aggressiveness. From the look of the roster we are going to need her or a transfer....... Can Green come back? That would be great. Looks to me like we are counting on Striplin being ready to contribute the minute she walks on campus
Everybody is eligible to come back because of covid but KK already said she is leaving and Davis has not said but looks to be a top 4 draft choice in the WNBA and don't think she can turn that down would be a huge surprise if she did. Green can come back if she desires and Walker has two more seasons we'll learn what they are doing after the season.

Enjoy this season we are screwed when David and Burrell are gone. At least we have Rae for one more year hopefully.
Not so fast friend. The good news about freshman and Sophomores is they become juniors and seniors. I would expect Horston to make a big leap next year. I’m still predicting her as an AA for us. Someone might correct me here but Rae was not a top 25 recruit. I think she was similar in ranking with most of our incoming class. Maybe Rae was really underrated but there is nothing to say One or two incoming kids can’t develop as well. Finally Key can really become a dominant player. I don’t think she has any idea how good she can be. With good passing she can be unstoppable. I agree she will miss KK. But Key will be more mature next year too. An invitation to USA summer tryouts would be great for her and JH.

Everybody is eligible to come back because of covid but KK already said she is leaving and Davis has not said but looks to be a top 4 draft choice in the WNBA and don't think she can turn that down would be a huge surprise if she did. Green can come back if she desires and Walker has two more seasons we'll learn what they are doing after the season.

That is what I thought, what will KK do? Is she planning to be a grad transfer? Davis is going pro and I do not blame her. Green's injury how close to being able to play will she be by next year? I am sure Green could be a Dr Green and contribute for the LV's next year if healthy.

Striplin will easily step into KK's spot
Puckett is way more athletic and = to Marta in skills and IQ
Miles will be a project on offense, but can slash and is a VG 1-on-1 defender against quick guards

Wynn will be the X-factor with Davis leaving,,,This kid has all the tools to play the 2 spot and will soon be on SEC level

That is what I thought, what will KK do? Is she planning to be a grad transfer? Davis is going pro and I do not blame her. Green's injury how close to being able to play will she be by next year? I am sure Green could be a Dr Green and contribute for the LV's next year if healthy.
KK leaving guess she will get a job don't think she is planning on playing basketball anywhere after this season. Don't know about Green or how bad her injury is she hasn't said if she is coming back and no one has said how she is doing with the leg injury. She didn't get to play much this year I assume if she is healthy she would want to come back and play a season.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Not so fast friend. The good news about freshman and Sophomores is they become juniors and seniors. I would expect Horston to make a big leap next year. I’m still predicting her as an AA for us. Someone might correct me here but Rae was not a top 25 recruit. I think she was similar in ranking with most of our incoming class. Maybe Rae was really underrated but there is nothing to say One or two incoming kids can’t develop as well. Finally Key can really become a dominant player. I don’t think she has any idea how good she can be. With good passing she can be unstoppable. I agree she will miss KK. But Key will be more mature next year too. An invitation to USA summer tryouts would be great for her and JH.

I agree with everything you say. I think there is a good chance that Rae becomes one of the most dominant players in the game next season. I live Destiny and she has a huge upside and the same goes for Marta (though they are clearly different kinds of players). Key's development is really exciting; she could be a monster next season and yes, I to think that Jordan H. will shine next year, particularly if she is freed of PG responsibilities (in effect, she fills Rennia's slot).

The elephant in the room is the volatility of the transfer window,. Who knows who might come into the program (or the unspeakable alternative). Right now, I think we should all enjoy the team we have THIS season. Next year will take care of itself.

Last edited:
Expect sophomores and freshmen on this years team to move up in ability next year. They will have to for us to be a better team next season. Miles and Wynn add speed to the perimeter and I am expecting Wynn to be a key sub next season even as a freshman. Miles is a very quick player that needs to get a lot better offensively from what I've seen. Striplin and Puckett should be quality players off the bench should be able to give us a few minutes per game without our efficiency going down very much. I am hoping Green will be well from her injury and will return to the team next season. She will ease the blow of losing KK.

The big loss is Davis no one from the freshman class or on the present roster that can do what she does. You have to hope players like Horston and Key will improve enough over the summer to take up most of her scoring and rebounding in games. I'd like to see Walker come back and be able to play without the brace on her leg or at least a modified less heavy one. You would think if there is a star player that enters the portal Tennessee would be very receptive to them.

The goal will certainly be for every player on the current roster that is returning to be much improved over their present ability. Usually freshmen are much better players as sophomores and sophomores start reaching their peak ability as juniors. Right now without knowing who will come back or who will join the roster other than the freshmen I would say the starters and depth chart would look like this:

PF- Green Striplin
WF- Burrell Suarez Puckett
C- Key Saunders
2G-Horston Wynn Darby Rennie
PG-Walker Salary Miles

Was thinking about it last night. Rennia’s role is likely going to I have to be filled by committee next year unless we have a big time transfer or a huge surprise from a freshman.

Her rebounding in particular is going to be missed. Her 12 boards last night were a huge difference maker. She’s been a consistent rebounder throughout her career. Contrary to what some posters on her say anytime she has a 3 minute drought.

Rae is already there with her scoring but her rebounding is going to have to improve next season. She could be a double/double player if she’ll start pursuing the boards. Right now she doesn’t have to with Re scooping up 10 a game.

Would look for Burrell to take a big step forward on her rebounding. Suarez will need to become more of a scoring threat, she’s already a decent rebounder when she’s feeling good. Her foot is quite clearly holding her back. Same with Horston. If she can grab 3 or 4 more boards a game she could quite easily be a triple double player.

We need some more depth and hopefully the incoming class will provide that. If all of our current players get better like last season then we should be able to fill Rennia’s shoes with only mild improvements from 2-3 players.

Saunders needs to get some grit and fire in her game and play time to get experience for KK replacement next year. Also KK is on the heavy side and play time from
Saunders would be a benefit in these last games for her. Last games that will be exhausting for KK and Marta. We can "out big" most opposition" but not without
sufficiently rested bigs. Especially some scoring from Emily Saunders !!!!!! A matter of will.

Was thinking about it last night. Rennia’s role is likely going to I have to be filled by committee next year unless we have a big time transfer or a huge surprise from a freshman.

Her rebounding in particular is going to be missed. Her 12 boards last night were a huge difference maker. She’s been a consistent rebounder throughout her career. Contrary to what some posters on her say anytime she has a 3 minute drought.

Rae is already there with her scoring but her rebounding is going to have to improve next season. She could be a double/double player if she’ll start pursuing the boards. Right now she doesn’t have to with Re scooping up 10 a game.

Would look for Burrell to take a big step forward on her rebounding. Suarez will need to become more of a scoring threat, she’s already a decent rebounder when she’s feeling good. Her foot is quite clearly holding her back. Same with Horston. If she can grab 3 or 4 more boards a game she could quite easily be a triple double player.

We need some more depth and hopefully the incoming class will provide that. If all of our current players get better like last season then we should be able to fill Rennia’s shoes with only mild improvements from 2-3 players.
The players that need to take big steps up are Horston and Key to fill the Davis void. You always look to sophomores moving to juniors growing into their top form. Same for Saunders if she is ever going to be able to fill any role for the team it will be next season. You have to hope that Salary will become a dependable player as a sophomore and hopefully the freshmen can give us the backup minutes that we need or more. Striplin is a very fundamentally sound player but this level is way above what she has been playing know there will be an adjustment for her and all the freshmen. If I chose one that might be a player that could help immediately I would say Wynn. Of course an experienced player out of the portal would solve a lot of problems a prolific three point shooter also with speed to get to the basket and finish. This plus everyone of the others being better with another summer to progress would make us a contender for the SEC top three again. Without that top player out of the portal things will have to go right with player progression for us to reach top three level in the league.

Saunders needs to get some grit and fire in her game and play time to get experience for KK replacement next year. Also KK is on the heavy side and play time from
Saunders would be a benefit in these last games for her. Last games that will be exhausting for KK and Marta. We can "out big" most opposition" but not without
sufficiently rested bigs. Especially some scoring from Emily Saunders !!!!!! A matter of will.

Emily could be a difference maker next year if she can improve her mobility. Her focus really needs to be in strength, conditioning and nutrition. The girl has some skill and can finish her shots. She just needs the physical confidence to do it.

this thread is of a catagory called fan speculation on the unknown. I agree with Madtownvol, a thread that is at its best from April to November, while still speculation.

I don't know why there are so many fans worried about replacing players. A hangover from the last regime? One big thing I've noticed is how much player development has improved. Yes, it's shocking I know, but players are getting better, playing better and competing well enough to take anyone on and win. Whether Rennia comes back or not, team success will be determined by several factors. Rae, Jordan and Tamari will be a great trio to build around. The newcomers will have good size and will be able to battle on the boards while extending team shooting range. Probability is really good that at least two future stars will emerge from the incoming class. Kellie has demonstrated she likes to play a lot of players so opportunities will exist.

Last edited:
i think tess can help open other team defence with the 3. she passes good and think she better than some of you think. she was top 60 in high school ratings before missing summerball bone bruse. if she can stay injury free she get some more playtime next year.

this thread is of a catagory called fan speculation on the unknown. I agree with Madtownvol, a thread that is at its best from April to November, while still speculation.
I bet you our staff has a few members who are working diligently on the issues I raised. I suppose what I am saying is I hope we are "recrutin" in the form of a somebody we sign late or grad transfers because our class on paper is what 5th in the country according to247 and 14th espnW but it sure is lacking in helping the numbers of SEC level contributors in positions of need. I expect some players to leave to make slots available etc. My point is Kelly needs more racehorses she has plenty of project players. 14 ort 5 I see a bunch of redundant players. The guards look like upgrades the forwards appear to be more project type of players, I hope next year we are not again looking at a short bench

VN Store

Back